Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Hopefully starting with the blosers. The amount of chances we have been missing is ridiculous 

Agree with that sentiment but if you make loads of chances you miss loads of chances. No-one scores five goals every week...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

Agree with that sentiment but if you make loads of chances you miss loads of chances. No-one scores five goals every week...

Totally, we had 21 shots on their goal at their place. Nothing negative about that stat at all. The better we get at keeping the ball, managing the game, winning it back higher up the pitch and defending, then taking just one or two of 20 odd chances is a lot easier than having to score all the 2 chances we were making under the last manager.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I'm happy to see i was right about Henry, when i said numerous times before the Smith appointment that Henry's lack of experience would be a bad move for Villa.

Henry was the gamble, naive approach, Smith was the safe approach. I'm happy to see the board taking good decisions for once.

Not writing of Henry as a manager yet, but it doesn't look like he knows how to organize a team, alarming for Monaco.

I think the best bet for Henry would of been to of done something similar to what John Terry is doing and be apart of a team. Henry is having to make all the decisions and he's not going to know  what he's doing wrong or rite because of lack of experience. I mean Henry's team wernt winning before he got there so for all he knows he could be doing things rite still. Despite still losing, yet he won't notice unless positive results comes, it's really going to be tough for henry at first, I think he will go through alot of clubs before he actually starts finding his own way, he has to develop a winning formula from scratch.

I also like the variation of goals so far. a few from set-pieces, couple from midfield runners and a couple of poacher type goals as well.  We look more dangerous from different angles that Neil Taylor might pop up in the box sometime to knock one in :P

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I also like the variation of goals so far. a few from set-pieces, couple from midfield runners and a couple of poacher type goals as well.  We look more dangerous from different angles that Neil Taylor might pop up in the box sometime to knock one in :P

Yep, look at the goals on the weekend, the first Bolasie from the left wing into McGinn and then McGinn from the same position on the left wing into Abraham, players popping up in different places. 

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I must admit to not being totally against Henry once Bruce had been sacked.

But in the summer when he was linked there were quite a few of us on here that were wondering out loud why people thought he would be a good manager. Not that I could profess to knowing he WOULDN'T be a good manager. But there didn't seem to be much evidence either way. It would have been a massive gamble at the time and whilst Bruce didn't work out (and Henry could still turn it around and turn out to be an inspired appointment), I think it was better to stick with him at that point than gamble on Henry.

It's why I always get wound up by people saying things like "ANYBODY would be better than Bruce (or Lerner, or Xia, or Jedinak or anyone)"

It can always be worse. We as a club have been very guilty over the past decade of doing exactly this. Going from bad, to worse. Again and again.

Luckily, the early signs point towards Smith being a good mix of experience and potential. I'm so glad we went for him over some of the other suggestions.

This was going so well until you decided to speak of keeping Bruce.

Time has proven - he should have gone with the final whistle at Wembley 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'm a Mod, so I'm not going to post on poster or take this off topic.

**** this opinion though.

King Edward perhaps? 

For instance, Dean Smiths style of football is a million miles away from that we played when King Edward was in charge.

I'm sure we must all agree that reads a whole lot better and it's a pretty good fit for the person in question! 

• Like 1

Jokanovic, another manager that people said they wanted has been sacked. I guess promotion is just one test for Smith but the long term one will be if he can keep us competitive and avoid a relegation battle. FWIW, I think he'd be OK. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dave J said:

our problems after said final whistle were far bigger than the manager as we have since learned. we didn't have a pot to piss in at that time, so had no money to pay off bruce and his backroom and certainly not the small fee we paid brentford for smith. do you remember that we were seriously contemplating administration right? so with no money, who do you think we could have realistically replaced him with at the time? or are you one of those that claim ANYBODY could have done a better job than bruce?

i know folks dont want to hear this, but credit where it's due to bruce for navigating us through the summer and rebuilding in a short space of time after the takeover (in spite of the lack of CB), and then not having a disastrous start to the season. it was the right time to hand the reigns over in the end and fortunately it seems like the smith gamble is starting to pay off

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dave J said:

Some of us were asking for Smith  the xmas before that...

59 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Jokanovic, another manager that people said they wanted has been sacked. I guess promotion is just one test for Smith but the long term one will be if he can keep us competitive and avoid a relegation battle. FWIW, I think he'd be OK. 

Be a nice problem to have at the moment, worrying about how we'll cope int eh premier league. Right now we need to be worrying about getting in to the play off spots first. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Some of us were asking for Smith  the xmas before that...

I assume @Dave J's post was aimed at me...

So just to clarify, I only mentioned keeping Bruce instead of appointing Henry.

I've already said many times that I agree, Bruce should have gone after the playoff defeat.

Edited by Stevo985

Â