Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It seems like he really loves coaching. See’s how it should be played. Knows which kind of players can play it the way he wants. I think we’ve got the next Eddie Howe. 

That’s a very big statement given what Howe has achieved as a manager compared to Smith, I think he is in a similar mould to Howe at least.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

That’s a very big statement given what Howe has achieved as a manager compared to Smith, I think he is in a similar mould to Howe at least.

Yeah I’m being over optimistic. Howe also started his coaching quite young and in lower leagues. 

It feels like we’ve finally got the right setup from owners to coaches. It’s been such a long time we’ve had this

Still very early days though. January business could be telling.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeah I’m being over optimistic. Howe also started his coaching quite young and in lower leagues. 

It feels like we’ve finally got the right setup from owners to coaches. It’s been such a long time we’ve had this

Still very early days though. January business could be telling.

Fingers crossed.

12 hours ago, CosmicVillan said:

It's a case of so far so good, my Walsall mate tells me we will go on long winless streaks under Smith, I don't know if that's true and I would argue that with Walsall and to a degree with Brentford that Smith just didn't have the raw material at his disposoal to do what he wants as consistently as he will with our squad

Not to mention he's learned a lot since his Walsall days, I think he's a different manager now. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I think you are rite, at Walsall he had just started managing rite?? Not to mention resources would have been slim and options on who he could bring into the club as well as who Smith had as a team. To me Smith moulded a team out of nothing at Walsall, for him it was his testing ground, his foundation for what would become his way of how he teaches his players, he would of had his downs as much as his ups but still didn't do to badly.

Then he gets to brentford where it's a step up in resources, players and his own style of football has moved forward. Smith by this time has figured more than a few things out, constantly learning the game as he goes and what he can do to improve. Unlike bruce and other managers who dont coach, Smith has learned that hard work and teaching his players a solid game plan is the way forward. So Smith puts in mid table finishes at brentford roughly the same place every season. We get to this season and Smith's brentford were being tipped to be a challenge for the championship with which is also a promotion push. Before that promotion push ever happens we have managed to prize smith away from brentford, with the fact we will never know if Smith would of took brentford all the way to the premier and I myself will always be curious about that one.

So here Smith comes to villa, having hardly any resources at his previous clubs, having moulded two clubs with pretty much nothing. Having to just deal with what he had available, to me this is a guy who has had to scrape the bottom of the barrell in football and make do. The team smith inherited from bruce was put together poorly but Smith knew if he came in he could turn a bruce disaster team into a winning one. Smith wouldn't of come here if he wasn't sure on the fact he could do something with villa. Knowing the pool of players bruce had under him yet couldn't get them to do anything other than run back n forth for 90mins and goofball it about, Smith must of been licking his lips saying quietly I'll show you bruce and this league. Smith does read the game well, he reads it that well that i am surprised and shocked of how we were under bruce and how we have come far so quickly under Smith. Smith has everything in place I believe to take Aston Villa back to the premier and boy does he deserve it, I shall probably cry if he does the job for us as I admire him in a good many ways. Smith is one coach that when the villa play I want to listen too, because he's interesting, what he has to say is honest, makes sense and he says it as if he believes it.

I don't believe for a second that Smith would of given brentford up knowing he was about ready for a championship run at brentford. There fans have nothing but praise for Smith most of which are gutted he's gone, still love him and what has done for brentford and said they would still follow him and see what he does at villa. It's a tough league to get out of and I fear the only managers who would of been good enough are the ones that have been rocking this league for so long. 

Absolutely great post mate. Agree with all of it.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I don't think it's as bold as you suggest Trent - Howe ( incidentally) is the man I would have broke the bank to try and get) started the process of getting a small club on an upwards trajectory until finally reaching the promised land - Smith was doing the same at Brentford and I doubt anyone would have been surprised if he achieved this.

Howe has been amazing since getting into the prem - but we will never know how Smith might have done with  Brentford ? I'm not claiming Smith is Howe - just they are  possibly a little closer than you might think.

He's worked his way up, impressing wherever he has been and earned his chance at a big club, ironically, his club too. And he's taken to it like a duck to water, unlike the previous incumbent who used to bleat about getting a chance at a big club. His coaching abilities are already working wonders and its pleasing to see all the players comment on how much they are enjoying the sessions and the new style being implemented.

Everything is a perfect fit, its bloody romantic, and im very happy that the first appointment made by our new owners, has been the right one; which speaks volumes considering all the wrong ones made by the previous regimes. We, AVFC, have finally landed on our feet, I truly believe that.

• Like 3

He's got the best win percentage of anyone to manage the club as it is. Long may it continue.

All of this has the potential to be an absolute dream situation. Right now things look hopeful.

Two of Villa's own leading the football, with Smith as coach and Grealish on the pitch.

I don't want to dampen anyone's spirits but Smith has not yet done enough to earn himself a title of manager of the decade like Howe did. Howe's achievements and accolades are greater than Smith's without a doubt. I'm not saying Smith won't be as good or even better than anyone I would compare him to but as it is, Smith hasn't done anything to set the world alight.

He inherited a Brentford team which finished 5th in the championship in the season before he took over. The way I see it is the team that came up from League One showed that they were not only ready for the championship but for a shot at the Premier League and Smith had no role in that. He achieved mid-table finishes for Brentford, which people might not have expected considering Brentford hadn't been that high up in the divisions for over 20 years.

I'm no expert but I don't see how Brentford could be considered serious contenders for promotion to the Premier League under Smith. They flirted with making playoffs at best, always finishing multiple wins short each time. This is not a slight on Smith's efforts or ability as a coach, it's more an attempt to keep things in perspective.

Smith's journey as a coach is just 7 years young and he has just stepped in to a Villa role which will come with it's own unique set of challenges. He is responsible for taking a great club that has lost its way and restoring it to former glories. At the least helping that process move in the right direction.

Not everyone can be Eddy Howe and receive accolades like manager of the decade while aged in their 30's. That's pretty rare and remarkable. Fortunately we don't need Smith to compete with that. We're a completely different challenge to Bournemouth.

I like everything I've seen and heard under Smith so far, very impressed and am looking forward to what's next.

• Like 3

On 17/11/2018 at 05:43, Dave J said:

I don't think it's as bold as you suggest Trent - Howe ( incidentally) is the man I would have broke the bank to try and get) started the process of getting a small club on an upwards trajectory until finally reaching the promised land - Smith was doing the same at Brentford and I doubt anyone would have been surprised if he achieved this.

Howe has been amazing since getting into the prem - but we will never know how Smith might have done with  Brentford ? I'm not claiming Smith is Howe - just they are  possibly a little closer than you might think.

Frankly I think it’s a little ridiculous given Howe’s achievements. 

I like Smith a lot, I’ve wanted him at Villa for a long time just as I wanted Howe a few years ago and their are similarities in their approach to the game.

But I don’t think any comparison can be made in terms of their track records, Smith is a very good manager but to call him the next Howe at this stage is really OTT.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Frankly I think it’s a little ridiculous given Howe’s achievements. 

I like Smith a lot, I’ve wanted him at Villa for a long time just as I wanted Howe a few years ago and their are similarities in their approach to the game.

But I don’t think any comparison can be made in terms of their track records, Smith is a very good manager but to call him the next Howe at this stage is really OTT.

Of course it is. I’m the one that said it.  I’ve just got this really good feeling about him.

We’ve finally got a good coach at the club. It’s exciting.

• Like 2

It will very interesting to see who he selects should Chester be out for a while. Does he go with youth (Bedeau) or Jedinak?  I wonder, given our lack of CB options whether Bedeau has been training with the first team with with this in mind and that he will be handed his league debut?  

25 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I cant imagine him throwing Bedeau in for his debut that would be a huge ask.

I'm guessing Bedeau is of modest ability then? Some kids are ready to make the step at age 16 and want to. Obviously that doesn't come about too frequently but Ryan Sessegnon is a case in point. Grealish made his Premier League debut aged 18.

1 minute ago, A'Villan said:

I'm guessing Bedeau is of modest ability then? Some kids are ready to make the step at age 16 and want to. Obviously that doesn't come about too frequently but Ryan Sessegnon is a case in point. Grealish made his Premier League debut aged 18.

Gomez and Alexander-Arnold made their PL debuts for Liverpool at 18 and 19 respectively and both are now England internationals!

• Like 1

Â