Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, westholmevillan said:

Gomez and Alexander-Arnold made their PL debuts for Liverpool at 18 and 19 respectively and both are now England internationals!

Yeah, it does happen. I hadn't heard of Bedeau before this conversation so I'm obviously not qualified to comment on his suitability.

On 16/11/2018 at 12:14, Dave-R said:

I think you are rite, at Walsall he had just started managing rite?? Not to mention resources would have been slim and options on who he could bring into the club as well as who Smith had as a team. To me Smith moulded a team out of nothing at Walsall, for him it was his testing ground, his foundation for what would become his way of how he teaches his players, he would of had his downs as much as his ups but still didn't do to badly.

Then he gets to brentford where it's a step up in resources, players and his own style of football has moved forward. Smith by this time has figured more than a few things out, constantly learning the game as he goes and what he can do to improve. Unlike bruce and other managers who dont coach, Smith has learned that hard work and teaching his players a solid game plan is the way forward. So Smith puts in mid table finishes at brentford roughly the same place every season. We get to this season and Smith's brentford were being tipped to be a challenge for the championship with which is also a promotion push. Before that promotion push ever happens we have managed to prize smith away from brentford, with the fact we will never know if Smith would of took brentford all the way to the premier and I myself will always be curious about that one.

So here Smith comes to villa, having hardly any resources at his previous clubs, having moulded two clubs with pretty much nothing. Having to just deal with what he had available, to me this is a guy who has had to scrape the bottom of the barrell in football and make do. The team smith inherited from bruce was put together poorly but Smith knew if he came in he could turn a bruce disaster team into a winning one. Smith wouldn't of come here if he wasn't sure on the fact he could do something with villa. Knowing the pool of players bruce had under him yet couldn't get them to do anything other than run back n forth for 90mins and goofball it about, Smith must of been licking his lips saying quietly I'll show you bruce and this league. Smith does read the game well, he reads it that well that i am surprised and shocked of how we were under bruce and how we have come far so quickly under Smith. Smith has everything in place I believe to take Aston Villa back to the premier and boy does he deserve it, I shall probably cry if he does the job for us as I admire him in a good many ways. Smith is one coach that when the villa play I want to listen too, because he's interesting, what he has to say is honest, makes sense and he says it as if he believes it.

I don't believe for a second that Smith would of given brentford up knowing he was about ready for a championship run at brentford. There fans have nothing but praise for Smith most of which are gutted he's gone, still love him and what has done for brentford and said they would still follow him and see what he does at villa. It's a tough league to get out of and I fear the only managers who would of been good enough are the ones that have been rocking this league for so long. 

good post Dave...I'll drink to that.

• Like 1

On 18/11/2018 at 14:15, A'Villan said:

I'm guessing Bedeau is of modest ability then? Some kids are ready to make the step at age 16 and want to. Obviously that doesn't come about too frequently but Ryan Sessegnon is a case in point. Grealish made his Premier League debut aged 18.

Honestly, I don’t know I’ve never seen him play but I have my doubts given his low profile since arrival and lack of first team exposure. If he hasn’t been picked so far I’d assume he hasn’t been deemed ready and that doesn’t really change just because of Chester’s absence.

There is a difference between earning your place and being thrown in because of a lack of numbers. If he were suddenly in the side for Sunday it would feel like he was there because of need not merit.

• Like 2

I'm guessing Bedeau is of modest ability then? Some kids are ready to make the step at age 16 and want to. Obviously that doesn't come about too frequently but Ryan Sessegnon is a case in point. Grealish made his Premier League debut aged 18.

Some players sink, some swim, I’d make sure he’s packed his trunks, I think it’ll be the making of him, I think he’s excellent. He’s got an aura about him, just glides through matches

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Some players sink, some swim, I’d make sure he’s packed his trunks, I think it’ll be the making of him, I think he’s excellent. He’s got an aura about him, just glides through matches

Why has he not featured for us so far then if that is to be the case mate?

This is crazy for me.

Could count on one hand the number of cbs that played at an early age and succeeded right away.  Other positions, it happens much more frequently, but, especially in this division, a cb needs to be physically strong, and its rare to see that kind of development in an 18/19 year old as players rarely develop like that, usually takes an extra 2 or 3 years for a ch to physically mature sufficiently.

Not saying bedeaux cant or wont, its just rare in his position.  

Nothard to find a load of strikers, wingers, attacking cms and even fullbacks who have, but chs, not so much.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

When he was young, he was brilliant, he’ll probably look back on his career and think ‘what might have been?’ He could have been a fantastic player

That's the problem he wasn't - he had six months of good form and got catapulted into the England squad only to level out. Classic case of believing your own publicity and too much too young - in my humble opinion 

11 minutes ago, Dave J said:

That's the problem he wasn't - he had six months of good form and got catapulted into the England squad only to level out. Classic case of believing your own publicity and too much too young - in my humble opinion 

I think physically he had it all, especially for the trend at the time of big, powerful and fast being all important. he was decent technically too, I think where it started to go wrong is that he never really then went on to be good tactically or at reading the game. Then it seems when things started to go wrong he decided he couldn't be arsed.

What a great quote from Smith above, lets hope he gets what he wants in Jan and we kick on.

11 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

This is crazy for me.

Could count on one hand the number of cbs that played at an early age and succeeded right away.  Other positions, it happens much more frequently, but, especially in this division, a cb needs to be physically strong, and its rare to see that kind of development in an 18/19 year old as players rarely develop like that, usually takes an extra 2 or 3 years for a ch to physically mature sufficiently.

Not saying bedeaux cant or wont, its just rare in his position.  

Nothard to find a load of strikers, wingers, attacking cms and even fullbacks who have, but chs, not so much.

It's crazy how many people just assume a youth player is ready to make the step up, having probably never seen him play (SGC excluded)

If he was ready right now then he'd have featured in and around squads a bit more, imo.

It's not impossible, of course, for him to be thrown in and perform well. But it's pretty unlikely! People are basically guessing.

Â