Proposal: Match day protest against SB

flashingqwerty

I was at the pub on Saturday for the game and unfortunately loads of Albion fans were in there. They all cheered when Blackburn scored, my friends and I all commented how smalltime it is and something I’m glad we don’t do. By protesting against a manager we’d be right down there as small time club. It’s ridiculous. Protest about an owner ruining a club, yes, but for a manager to leave absolutely not. No self respecting manager is going to come afterwards after that kind of show from fans. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think the premise of a protest is that the owners need the situation bringing to their attention. I’m pretty sure this isn’t the case, I’m sure they know where we are in the league and probably have watched most if not all of the games. Even if they haven’t they’ll have plenty of reports coming back to them, that’s what businessmen do. 

I believe the main reason they haven’t made a change is because they haven’t yet secured the right replacement. There could be any number of reasons why this is the case. People are right when they say we can’t just keep changing managers, we can’t. So whilst I believe we do need a change, it needs to be a well thought out change and one that will hopefully be the last one for a few years. I’m a football supporter, so of course I want it to happen tomorrow, and the new bloke to come in be brilliant and win every game for the rest of the season. But that is highly unlikely and so if it takes an extra few weeks or months, but ultimately we find the right man to take us forward for years to come then I’m prepared to wait. Albeit extremely impatiently. 

Attempting to force the owners hand wouldn’t, in my opinion, be helpful, necessary or indeed likely to happen, no matter how well intended. 

Totally agree with this, we're looking at owners with a long-term outlook and whilst they won't want to hang around in this league you can bet they won't do anything knee jerk either. Bruce will get us promoted or be kicked out, we just have to hold our nerve and wait for him to keep screwing up. The end will come soon enough but I still wish it wasn't like this. We're Aston Villa, we'll be here long after Bruce and i'd love him to prove us all wrong...but just can't see that happening!

11 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think the premise of a protest is that the owners need the situation bringing to their attention. I’m pretty sure this isn’t the case, I’m sure they know where we are in the league and probably have watched most if not all of the games. Even if they haven’t they’ll have plenty of reports coming back to them, that’s what businessmen do. 

I believe the main reason they haven’t made a change is because they haven’t yet secured the right replacement. There could be any number of reasons why this is the case. People are right when they say we can’t just keep changing managers, we can’t. So whilst I believe we do need a change, it needs to be a well thought out change and one that will hopefully be the last one for a few years. I’m a football supporter, so of course I want it to happen tomorrow, and the new bloke to come in be brilliant and win every game for the rest of the season. But that is highly unlikely and so if it takes an extra few weeks or months, but ultimately we find the right man to take us forward for years to come then I’m prepared to wait. Albeit extremely impatiently. 

Attempting to force the owners hand wouldn’t, in my opinion, be helpful, necessary or indeed likely to happen, no matter how well intended. 

Great posr Dave and have to agree with you.

We can be impatient sods. :D

I agree with those who think it's a bad idea.

The football is dire and you would think we should be doing / playing better but with all the shenanigans over the summer i always had this season down as a recovery of sorts. It will take time to recover from that. It's basically a team with the spine ripped out and only partially replaced and that would be tough for anyone to sort aside from  maybe a top level manager .... but one of them is not incoming and if we want to attract one in the future protesting against the current manager would be a huge red flag warning them to steer clear.

It's frustrating of course and i simply cannot watch us at the moment as we are so dire but it's all about getting through this season FFP wise and putting a core together ready for a proper push next season. Whether the owners decide to stick with Bruce in the summer is open to question but at least it gives them time to have a proper look and keep some sense of stability in the meantime. You never know we might even improve.... although i'm not holding my breath on that ?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Here we go again. What impact do you think this will have on the players? Do you think it might affect their game negatively? If so, why would anyone who sees themself as a supporter want to do that?

You reckon it could get any worse?

• Like 1

Bruce had to go but no protest. It's absolutely pointless. The owners know how frustrated we are with the defending, performances and lack of points. He is on the edge now. 

As others have said bruce will use a protest to his advantage 

9 hours ago, briny_ear said:

The obvious answer is that OTDO74 was a protest against the long term financial policies of the owner and the protests were the only way to get through to him things had to change. The protests proposed here involve fans expressing the opinion that they know better than the manager how to organise the team. Meantime if the team are inside winning the protesters outside will go home with egg on their faces.

Again, short term jingoism. They may win this game, they probably won't. But the point is, we have no long term future under Bruce. We are going backwards at this point. Basing your viewpoint on one game and ignoring the long term trend is stupid.

Whats your great idea for moving the club forward? Continue with 100% support, "get behind the manager and the players FFS", Or other tired cliche's like that? because that's what people (at the ground, rather than here because that's where you have said it matters) have been doing for two years, and look what it has achieved. All we have now are excuses. Things need to change.  

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, John said:

Bruce looked shocked after the Blackburn game and is obviously well aware that fans have grown very unhappy with our performances and results so far this season. He is a decent man who has tried hard to succeed at our club particularly last year when he faced managing our club whilst also trying to come to terms with the sad loss of both of his parents.

He stuck around this summer when many other managers would have walked out having  lost key players like Johnstone, Terry and Snodders as well as having faced losing Jack and Chester along with any other saleable player during the last transfer window. 

He was prepared to go into this season at a club that couldn't afford to pay it's milk bill without adequate replacements for the players he had been forced to let go where avoiding relegation was in reality our only realistic target. Then when our new owners came in and the club's situation was greatly improved he believed that as a result he faced the sack.

He has now made some impressive signings in double quick time but has yet to find a winning formation or to organise the players to perform as a team. He was unable to find a replacement for JT and the jury is out concerning whether we have found a suitable replacement for Johnstone in the time we had to do this.

As a former Small Heath boss some of us were reluctant to accept his appointment in the first place, others were disappointed when he wasn't replaced by Henry with whom the newspapers had linked us and patience has now worn increasingly thin as down the table we have slipped. He needs time but won't be likely to be given it. A run of good results starting tomorrow and ending in promotion will save him I'm sure we would all get behind him again if and when that happens. If it doesn't we should trust our new owners to make the right decision when they consider the time is right. Protests have their place and they have rightly taken place in the past when the voice of the terraces was being ignored. Now is not the time for one in my opinion.

Woah woah woah, you make some valid points but you ruin it all with the bit in bold. I don't recall that ever happening, and if it did it was one or two idiots. The notion that some fans have never accepted him because of small heath links is utter nonsense.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Don't stay away from Villa Park, get to the ground Tuesday and get the atmosphere going, we need to get behind them and ensure we get 6 points on the board this week.

Yes, let's get 6 points on the board and keep Bruce in the job.

No thanks. He needs to go.

• Thanks 1

Â