The NSWE Board

Guest av1

On 07/08/2020 at 09:53, Jareth said:

Quite a contrast appearing between ourselves and Arsenal and how the respective owners are running things. Arsenal have been laying off their scouting network as well as 55 staff, asked players to take a pay cut - all in the name of cost savings due to the virus. Yet they are still paying top wages and transfer fees while missing out on Champions League. Meanwhile our lot are doing almost the opposite. Yes we are coming at it from very different starts - but if I was an Arsenal fan I would be asking questions - meanwhile we can feel optimistic because it appears NSWE are quite good at running sports clubs.  

So far so good I would say.

• Like 1

On 01/08/2020 at 22:59, MrBlack said:

Come on NSWE, splash that cash and worry about the income next year when we're in Europe. With Fifa counting the next two years as a joint FFP assessment,  this chance to spend big is likely the only chance we'll get to go big for a long time.  Sell that vision to the Abrahams and the Tonalis of the World. Let's do this!

Just on this - I thought it was the season just gone and the season coming up that are being counted together?

If that's the case, then our spend from last summer will leave us just about even at this point - so the change in reporting periods won't really have much of an effect on our spending I'd have thought?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Just on this - I thought it was the season just gone and the season coming up that are being counted together?

If that's the case, then our spend from last summer will leave us just about even at this point - so the change in reporting periods won't really have much of an effect on our spending I'd have thought?

You're right,  i think.  It's the current year ending 2020, and next year ending 2021 that will combine, however,  I dont know if the year ending 21 is Dec 21 calendar year, April 21 tax year, or Aug 21 end of season?

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

Is it possible that we are actually benefiting financially from last season’s transfer approach with all the COVID implications?

What I mean is, if we’d spent say £200m+ for ‘proven’ players on higher wages, would we possibly be having to lay off club staff etc ourselves?

Obviously if we have then it’s a case of it being more luck than judgement, but at least it’s left us in a position where we are looking to spend big again this window as opposed to some of our rivals having to back-pedal.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Is it possible that we are actually benefiting financially from last season’s transfer approach with all the COVID implications?

What I mean is, if we’d spent say £200m+ for ‘proven’ players on higher wages, would we possibly be having to lay off club staff etc ourselves?

Obviously if we have then it’s a case of it being more luck than judgement, but at least it’s left us in a position where we are looking to spend big again this window as opposed to some of our rivals having to back-pedal.

Arguably not luck at all, and exactly what financial fair play was intending to achieve. Effectively, any club should be able to survive an unexpected downturn in fortunes. It doesn't in general, but may have helped us significantly due to our specific circumstances.

Because we were starting from such a small base, the FFP restrictions prevented us from spending that much on proven players,  primarily due to wages rather than signing fees. The result is the unexpected (massive) downturn impacts us less severely than it would have if FFP hadn't stopped us blowing our load. 

Also, our owners seem loaded to the hilt. Quite possible Arsenal's owners other businesses may have been more severely impacted by covid and Arsenal as a club a make a lot more money from match days than the average. 

10 hours ago, MrBlack said:

You're right,  i think.  It's the current year ending 2020, and next year ending 2021 that will combine, however,  I dont know if the year ending 21 is Dec 21 calendar year, April 21 tax year, or Aug 21 end of season?

we also have a different TV deal this season coming and any implications of the Man City FFP case to factor in

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

Wes Edens’ Milwaukee Bucks NBA team has decided to boycott a playoff game over the police killing in Wisconsin a couple of days ago.

Not trying to turn this political, just wanted to point it out and say that I am encouraged by Wes hopefully supporting his players and what they believe in beyond sports.

Yeah I'm watching this on CNN right now.

Huge move.

It's out of hand now man. That last shooting was inexplicable.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

I am encouraged by Wes hopefully supporting his players and what they believe in beyond sports.

As long as he's consistent and gets Grealish laughing gas canisters and lets him pilot his jet to McCormack's pissed up for a birthday present.

• Haha 1

On 07/08/2020 at 09:53, Jareth said:

Quite a contrast appearing between ourselves and Arsenal and how the respective owners are running things. Arsenal have been laying off their scouting network as well as 55 staff, asked players to take a pay cut - all in the name of cost savings due to the virus. Yet they are still paying top wages and transfer fees while missing out on Champions League. Meanwhile our lot are doing almost the opposite. Yes we are coming at it from very different starts - but if I was an Arsenal fan I would be asking questions - meanwhile we can feel optimistic because it appears NSWE are quite good at running sports clubs.  

I'd be looking to take a couple of their scouts on full time to work with the Analytics team. Obviously with @Villain4Life as head scout!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah I'm watching this on CNN right now.

Huge move.

It's out of hand now man. That last shooting was inexplicable.

Didn't the guy suddenly reach into his car door? Wasn't he on a warrant and had a history of weapons charges?

That is what I heard.

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

Didn't the guy suddenly reach into his car door? Wasn't he on a warrant and had a history of weapons charges?

That is what I heard.

He had a hiatory of weapon charges that is true bit not enough info has come out.

Two protesters were murdered as well but not as much coverage on that for some reason?

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He had a hiatory of weapon charges that is true bit not enough info has come out.

Two protesters were murdered as well but not as much coverage on that for some reason?

And NSWE have sanctioned this?

7 hours ago, paul514 said:

That is what I heard.

Yep

And he was shot in the back 7 times

None of what he was justifies it 

• Like 1

It's disgusting. It's by no way acceptable to shoot someone 7 times IN THE BACK!!!!

Guns should just be banned full stop, the public don't need them and then the police don't need them. This can't continue to happen. 

Anyways much love to NSWE. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, paul514 said:

That is what I heard.

Yes but there is also enough white people with a history of weapons charges who don't get shot 7 times in the back by police if they do similar.

Â