Tammy Abraham

Villaphan04

people saying he isnt a 20 goal a season Premier League striker well they are very rare. Only 4 players got over 20 goals last season and they all went for big money. Only 1 player outside of top 6 got more than 15 goals. Was the same last season and it was the same player Vardy who got more than 15 

1 minute ago, hippo said:

1 main striker 1 back up - ?  - unless you think Kjodia and Davis will suffice ? 

of course we need 2 strikers but paying 50 million for 2 unproven forwards is absolute madness and clubs will happily price us out elsewhere

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

You not think we could finance them both  permanently ?

Part of this first campaign back in the Premier League is to play it smart. Yes the goal is to do well next season, but there is also a chance that we go up, get absolutely annihilated and come right back down again. Do we want to do that with £150+ million worth of new players on the books? Cause Abraham and Maupay would likely cost close to a combined £50 million and that's without factoring in the 10 other players we need to buy. As boring as it may be we need to be smart about our next season in the Premier League. Once we know we're safe and settled then in the 21/22 season I can see some crazier transfer windows, but this one is going to be pretty tame ignoring the 12 players we'll likely sign.  

2 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Part of this first campaign back in the Premier League is to play it smart. Yes the goal is to do well next season, but there is also a chance that we go up, get absolutely annihilated and come right back down again. Do we want to do that with £150+ million worth of new players on the books? Cause Abraham and Maupay would likely cost close to a combined £50 million and that's without factoring in the 10 other players we need to buy. As boring as it may be we need to be smart about our next season in the Premier League. Once we know we're safe and settled then in the 21/22 season I can see some crazier transfer windows, but this one is going to be pretty tame ignoring the 12 players we'll likely sign.  

Yes thats crossed my mind as well. - are we signing players ie jota  who won't throw a hissy fit if the worse did happen next season ?  - 

15 minutes ago, hippo said:

You not think we could finance them both  permanently ?

I think you are correct, Hogan and Kodjia are nowhere near good enough for the Prem, we will need at least 2 striker 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Yes thats crossed my mind as well. - are we signing players ie jota  who won't throw a hissy fit if the worse did happen next season ?  - 

There could be an element of that in the kind of players we're looking at assuming the links are accurate. 

Looking at it from a purely financial point of view, if the deal was £25m for Tammy, considering his age and current reputation, he would have to have a terrible season for his value to decrease significantly and result in us making a loss.

Obviously the main aim is for him to score goals for us, not to increase his net worth. But I think that sort of thing is probably a factor when deciding these things. 

The likelihood of him ultimately turning into Darren Bent, petering out and leaving us for nothing is minimal.

It’s just feels slightly surreal to be discussing £25m deals and for the question to be “should we go for it?” rather than “will we ever do it?”.

I’m keen on us getting Tammy, like most, but I’m seeing a few people citing reasons such as ‘he has the feel good factor from promotion’ etc. I don’t think that should really come into our reasoning. All it would take is 3-4 losses in a row and the club to be sitting in the drop zone for people (and Tammy, presumably) to quickly forget about any promotion feel good factor.

The pros and cons need to be weighed up realistically, not with your heart ruling your head

• Like 1

Get him in. £25m fine. His attitude makes it doable for me. If he blew hot and cold with his effort I'd be more wary despite his goal tally. He works his arse off for 90 minutes every match, usually contributes even when he isn't scoring.

I actually think him and Kodj are fine as starter/backup. Suppose Smith has to make a call if he thinks he can motivate Kodj.

3 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Looking at it from a purely financial point of view, if the deal was £25m for Tammy, considering his age and current reputation, he would have to have a terrible season for his value to decrease significantly and result in us making a loss.

Obviously the main aim is for him to score goals for us, not to increase his net worth. But I think that sort of thing is probably a factor when deciding these things. 

The likelihood of him ultimately turning into Darren Bent, petering out and leaving us for nothing is minimal.

It’s just feels slightly surreal to be discussing £25m deals and for the question to be “should we go for it?” rather than “will we ever do it?”.

True. The worst case scenario, money-wise, is that he had a terrible season (realistically, what, 7 goals? Something like that), and we get relegated. The latter would cause more of a price reduction than his lack of goals, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Just now, Rob182 said:

I’m keen on us getting Tammy, like most, but I’m seeing a few people citing reasons such as ‘he has the feel good factor from promotion’ etc. I don’t think that should really come into our reasoning. All it would take is 3-4 losses in a row and the club to be sitting in the drop zone for people (and Tammy, presumably) to quickly forget about any promotion feel good factor.

The pros and cons need to be weighed up realistically, not with your heart ruling your head

Which is exactly how Purslow and Smith see it, outlined in that recent interview. I have great hope that we have a good team in place atm. 

Purslow:

Football is a season long thing.... Really well run clubs in this moment look back over the whole season top to bottom, look at individual players top to bottom and then you make decisions not based on a euphoric moment but based on a body of work that your coach and your sporting director have looked at, studied and analysed. Thats the kind of work thats going on now. Which then informs next season.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

True. The worst case scenario, money-wise, is that he had a terrible season (realistically, what, 7 goals? Something like that), and we get relegated. The latter would cause more of a price reduction than his lack of goals, in my opinion.

In that scenario at least we’d have a proven championship goalscorer to fire us back up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Buying Maupay and loaning Tammy would be the ideal, hugely unlikely though.

Purslow has made it quite clear we will no longer be getting players on loan. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Yes I think so. I mean, Jordan Ayew somehow reached 7 goals in our god awful season so I’d like to think Tammy, in this far better Villa side, already settled and familiar with the system could reach higher than that.

Relegation would put us in a weaker bargaining position if we were to sell, but I think we would recoup most of the fee.*

I’m pretty much on board with this deal now.

*yes, I know, we’ve been promoted less than a week and now I’m on about a scenario where we’ve bought Tammy, been relegated and are now forced into selling Tammy.

• Like 1

Â