Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

45 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

That’s why we need to get one! Sell him and use the money to upgrade, or play JPB.

I just think he offers very little apart from the odd penalty. 

Villa are very good at signing players but not so good at selling them. We need to be moving El Ghazi and Nakamba on and levelling up in their position. 

Don't get me wrong, if a club were to come in with the £17 million fee Roma were being linked with a few weeks ago then we should be taking it. Anything £15 million and above would be a good deal for us.

But I wouldn't be actively looking to sell him on if a big offer isn't on the table.

JPB will get opportunities this season; but we need experienced players in games. Playing Ramsey and JPB together yesterday could have caused us problems.

He is not good enough but you can’t fault his professionalism. He just does his job when called upon and never bitches and moans. He is a good teammate as Dean would say.

I agree with those that say we should sell him though if possible. He only has 2 years left on his contract and he probably is at his optimum value now. Whether we like it or not, we do have to keep selling players to evolve. He is only playing because Bailey, Watkins and Traore are all injured. One of those comes back and AEG drops out.

If you get £15m for him from a lower PL team you could reinvest some of that on a younger player with a much higher potential ceiling. Someone like Alvarez. That’s how clubs like us evolve. Keep our core together, sell ancillary players for decent profits and re-invest in up and coming stars.

If he was as good as he can be sometimes, all of the time, then he wouldn’t have signed for us as a newly promoted team and he probs wouldn’t still be here.

His consistency isn’t great, but he is a squad player essentially. There are worse in the PL at many teams.

24 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

He is not good enough but you can’t fault his professionalism. He just does his job when called upon and never bitches and moans. He is a good teammate as Dean would say.

I agree with those that say we should sell him though if possible. He only has 2 years left on his contract and he probably is at his optimum value now. Whether we like it or not, we do have to keep selling players to evolve. He is only playing because Bailey, Watkins and Traore are all injured. One of those comes back and AEG drops out.

If you get £15m for him from a lower PL team you could reinvest some of that on a younger player with a much higher potential ceiling. Someone like Alvarez. That’s how clubs like us evolve. Keep our core together, sell ancillary players for decent profits and re-invest in up and coming stars.

We have Bailey and JPB ready to take his spot - I'd spend that money acquiring more of the best 15-17 year-olds like we have been doing. 

Just now, lexicon said:

We have Bailey and JPB ready to take his spot - I'd spend that money acquiring more of the best 15-17 year-olds like we have been doing. 

I’m not totally against not buying another wide attacking player. I don’t think we’ve properly replaced Grealish and that will show more as the season progresses. 

However, we do have options there with players who can play there - Bailey, JPB etc. 

Our main concern is the defensive midfield position. Luiz isn’t up to it and Nakamba is very average. Get a quality no.6 and we’ll have a much better chance of finishing in the top 10 this season.

The problem with el Ghazi is the lack of creativity. He's a finisher - can find himself at the back post or score a good goal from 20 yards sometimes - but that's the only real part of his game. When the shot isn't on, his passing isn't great, he's not technical or fast enough to beat a man, so it's either a simple pass that only wasted time, or he loses the ball. 

Useful guy to have and put on in the last 20 when you're chasing a goal, but other than that, we need Bailey in there ASAP. What we saw from Leon in that short cameo, we've never really seen from Anwar. Night and day in terms of player level. 

27 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

This is a myth too. Just an excuse for being poor. 

So some football players don’t rely on confidence?

You are wrong. This is a fact. While he might not be Ronaldo or whoever, I’d much rather have a confident El Ghazi, f he is starting. 

12 minutes ago, lexicon said:

The problem with el Ghazi is the lack of creativity. He's a finisher - can find himself at the back post or score a good goal from 20 yards sometimes - but that's the only real part of his game. When the shot isn't on, his passing isn't great, he's not technical or fast enough to beat a man, so it's either a simple pass that only wasted time, or he loses the ball. 

Useful guy to have and put on in the last 20 when you're chasing a goal, but other than that, we need Bailey in there ASAP. What we saw from Leon in that short cameo, we've never really seen from Anwar. Night and day in terms of player level. 

This

I wonder whether he should try to convert himself into a striker as he has a good eye for finishing, decent movement and reasonable (if not spectacular pace) 

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Thought he did some pretty good things yesterday.  He miscontrolled one pass but got back on it and squared a good ball for a chance in the first half. 

Had a really good touch  when the ball came into his feet with back to goal and defender behind him, he opened his body go one way and then lost his defender going the other way.

Was never gonna miss the penalty.

He's a scapegoat for a lot of things, but I'll always appreciate him.

Matty Cash and Ramsey also had a few bad touches and lost the ball etc, but the reaction is never as vehemently negative as when El Ghazi does it.

We have some strange and shitty fans.

Oh wow one pass guys you hear it ONE MSCONTROLLED PASS!!!!!

So you didint see  that el ghazi cant beat his defender with his speed or skill?  You didint see how young passed him the ball like 5 times and he instantly passed him back because he just cant compete with his defender?

You didint see his bad positioning and isolating himself? You didint see the episode when young got the ball and started running on the left and couldnt pass the ball to no one because el ghazi ran near him on the right. :D 

One miscontrolled pass? what a joke!

When i see el ghazi playing i see RONALDO  with no skill with no speed with no sense of positioning and sluggish body language. Low mid tier championship player who can score a pen nothing more.

Edited by Tumblerseven

I was fuming at the time that the ref was being so slow getting the players out of the box and getting in to position. Anwar was stood there just staring at the keeper for what felt like a good minute, and he looked nervous as hell, the pressure of standing on the spot waiting for so long couldn't have helped. Balls of steel though.

33 minutes ago, Tumblerseven said:

Oh wow one pass guys you hear it ONE MSCONTROLLED PASS!!!!!

So you didint see  that el ghazi cant beat his defender with his speed or skill?  You didint see how young passed him the ball like 5 times and he instantly passed him back because he just cant compete with his defender?

You didint see his bad positioning and isolating himself? You didint see the episode when young got the ball and started running on the left and couldnt pass the ball to no one because el ghazi ran near him on the right. :D 

One miscontrolled pass? what a joke!

When i see el ghazi playing i see RONALDO  with no skill with no speed with no sense of positioning and sluggish body language. Low mid tier championship player who can score a pen nothing more.

Scored a few decent goals in the prem for a mediocre championship level player, hasn't he?

Got a few assists too.

I think your assessment of him as a player is probably the same level as your English, so I'm fine with how I see it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Killeen30 said:

So some football players don’t rely on confidence?

You are wrong. This is a fact. While he might not be Ronaldo or whoever, I’d much rather have a confident El Ghazi, f he is starting. 

Lol. A confident el Ghazi? When has he been confident? How many times has he had the chance to gain confidence only to then put in a horrid display after the event? 

This idea that he’s a confidence player is just an excuse for him playing poorly week in week out. He’s just not very good. 

Â