Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

Lovely guy, seems very humble and well liked. 

Just not good enough for where we need to be though. If we want to be a top half team, we need better. 

Thanks for the memories, but we need to replace. 

I’m not going to hammer him but a couple of things and not just a reaction from today but from his time with us to date:

He absolutely cannot play wide right. He probably doesn’t cause a fuss and if asked to do a job, does so. However, he’s a confidence player and wide right just doesn’t suit his ability. Not sure why though?

Secondly, if we want to really push the top six then El G starting regularly for us is not the answer. He’s an impact player and ideally from the bench.

We just need someone better starting games.

• Like 1

He won't be starting when everyone is fit, so don't think people need to worry about us having to start him very regularly. 

Bailey showed he is more than capable playing on the left...even if the right is his preferred position. 

Buendia will either continue in the 10 role, or move to the right. The 10 position is then coming from either Watkins/Ings or one of McGinn/Sanson/Ramsey. Guess it will depend whether we go 1 up top or 3. In either shape, AEG is not a first choice starter when all are fit.

As to how capable he is as a backup... I think expecting him to come on to turn a game in our favour is optimistic. He's not a player that will do that...unless we're already creating chances but fluffing them. So he's only going to be useful in a few scenarios. And penalty shootouts.

Traore came on and looked very promising.  Had he not been coming back from injury I'm sure he'd have been ahead in the pecking order also.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lexicon said:

A pretty typical performance, sadly. Just can't justify him starting anymore. 

That’s just it though isn’t it? He was barely good enough in the Championship and yet here we are, 3 years later, having sold our best player for £100m, with him starting. 

The mind genuinely, genuinely boggles. And not because I’m surprised at how shite he is. I knew he’d be shite from the moment the team sheet was announced. What really blows my mind is that the manager saw fit to play him today. To start him. On the right.

Smith has done a lot of amazing things since coming in as manager, but every now and again he does something that makes me honestly wonder if he’s capable of taking us to the next level. And that’s coming from someone who really likes the bloke. 

El Ghazi is crap. He’s been crap in all but maybe 6 games he’s played for us in 3/4 years. How the hell has he started for us today? 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

That’s just it though isn’t it? He was barely good enough in the Championship and yet here we are, 3 years later, having sold our best player for £100m, with him starting. 

The mine genuinely, genuinely boggles. And not because I’m surprised at how shite he is. I knew he’d be shite from the moment the team sheet was announced. What really blows my mind is that the manager saw fit to play him today. To start him. On the right.

Smith has done a lot of amazing things since coming in as manager, but every now and again he does something that makes me honestly wonder if he’s capable of taking us to the next level. And that’s coming from someone who really likes the bloke. 

El Ghazi is crap. He’s been crap in all but maybe 6 games he’s played for us in 3/4 years. How the hell has he started for us today? 

Do you go a day without slagging him off? Change the record. He played because others are unfit and he'll be off the books this window or next. We get it you don't like him/ rate him.

It's not difficult to criticise a player and doing it respectfully. Not just you but a few others too. 

Is he good enough for the top 6/7 squads? No obviously not then he needs to be moved on. Simple.

It's hardly a secret that El Ghazi isn't a right winger and isn't very good there.

Baffles me when we end up playing him there; especially when we have 3 wingers on the bench and 1 on the pitch who can play there.

Edited by wilko154

Anybody who thinks he is in any way a premier league player does not understand football. He does not have the basic attributes to be successful in an ambitious team. He scored a few goals last season but contributed almost nothing else. He never creates anything. He is easily dispossessed. He gifts the ball back to the opposition constantly. He is poor positionally. He does not read the game. He lacks physicality and courage. 

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

Do you go a day without slagging him off? Change the record. He played because others are unfit and he'll be off the books this window or next. We get it you don't like him/ rate him.

It's not difficult to criticise a player and doing it respectfully. Not just you but a few others too. 

Is he good enough for the top 6/7 squads? No obviously not then he needs to be moved on. Simple.

But why play him? Ok, I’ve probably slagged him off a bit too much, but why play him? Did you watch the Burton game last season where he did nothing and was a complete waste of space? If so, why has Smith played him today? 

If there was absolutely no alternative, then fine. But we absolutely do have an alternative don’t we. I’ll list them. 

1. Play Buendia on the right, Young on the left and Chukwuemeka in behind Ings.

2. Play a half fit Traore on the right, Buendia on the left and Chuk in behind.

3. Play Bidace on the right and Young on the left with Chuk in behind Ings.

4. Play Bidace on the left and Buendia on the right with Ramsey in behind.

5. Play Traore on the right, Bidace on the left and Chuk behind Ings. 

I could go on. 

How many times do we have to watch El Ghazi play for this club and put in a dreadful, embarrassing performance? How many times? I don’t even think our transfer window business has been good (check the other thread), but at least it’s given us options. 

It’s utterly terrifying that our management team have sat down at some point this week and decided that El Ghazi was the way to go on the right hand side of our attack. Terrifying. That worries me more than the fact that he’s actually played poorly, because we all knew he’d play poorly. 

• Like 1

Â