Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

But why play him? Ok, I’ve probably slagged him off a bit too much, but why play him? Did you watch the Burton game last season where he did nothing and was a complete waste of space? If so, why has Smith played him today? 

If there was absolutely no alternative, then fine. But we absolutely do have an alternative don’t we. I’ll list them. 

1. Play Buendia on the right, Young on the left and Chukwuemeka in behind Ings.

2. Play a half fit Traore on the right, Buendia on the left and Chuk in behind.

3. Play Bidace on the right and Young on the left with Chuk in behind Ings.

4. Play Bidace on the left and Buendia on the right with Ramsey in behind.

5. Play Traore on the right, Bidace on the left and Chuk behind Ings. 

I could go on. 

How many times do we have to watch El Ghazi play for this club and put in a dreadful, embarrassing performance? How many times? I don’t even think our transfer window business has been good (check the other thread), but at least it’s given us options. 

It’s utterly terrifying that our management team have sat down at some point this week and decided that El Ghazi was the way to go on the right hand side of our attack. Terrifying. That worries me more than the fact that he’s actually played poorly, because we all knew he’d play poorly. 

I think you’re putting too much hope and pressure on JPB and Chuk. They’re still so young.

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I think you’re putting too much hope and pressure on JPB and Chuk. They’re still so young.

Maybe I am, but my post was to outline options. We have options. At no point should El Ghazi be the answer to any question in our starting line up. 

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He just can't be a regular starter us. And if we calm down and use common sense, we know he won't be.

A fair point. 

The only thing I would say is, there were alternatives today, whichever way you dress it up. The fact he was picked worries me more than the performance! (If that makes sense).

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

A fair point. 

The only thing I would say is, there were alternatives today, whichever way you dress it up. The fact he was picked worries me more than the performance! (If that makes sense).

There was but he is also a player who played a big part in our last season. 

I don't think it's crazy that he started. 

Traore and Bailey aren't up to speed yet. 

Unless we have major injuries El Ghazi will not play that much this season.

11 hours ago, DCJonah said:

He just can't be a regular starter us. And if we calm down and use common sense, we know he won't be.

This.

Great goal return last season, but Smith likes to give people the shirt sometimes when they probably dont deserve it. 

Based on the small sample size of pre season, JPB probably should have been rewarded with a start yesterday. Sometimes that exuberance, energy and hunger to impress of youth will give you so much more than what Anwar offered. Those showings are far too common in AEGs game.

14 hours ago, villa89 said:

I'd sell him for 7m nevermind 17. 

Christ I'm glad you're not in the board room. You see how much Liverpool get for Wilson, Ibe, Brewster, Solanke?? Wolves for Costa, Caveleiro? We can't just be disposing of players for nothing, especially ones that score ten goals in a Premier League season. 

You can’t be of the opinion that Buendia wasn’t fit and ready to start, while also thinking El Ghazi shouldn’t have started because Bailey and Traore did so much better when they came on.

I don’t know anyone specifically saying this, but it seems to be the general vibe.

13 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

But why play him? Ok, I’ve probably slagged him off a bit too much, but why play him? Did you watch the Burton game last season where he did nothing and was a complete waste of space? If so, why has Smith played him today? 

If there was absolutely no alternative, then fine. But we absolutely do have an alternative don’t we. I’ll list them. 

1. Play Buendia on the right, Young on the left and Chukwuemeka in behind Ings.

2. Play a half fit Traore on the right, Buendia on the left and Chuk in behind.

3. Play Bidace on the right and Young on the left with Chuk in behind Ings.

4. Play Bidace on the left and Buendia on the right with Ramsey in behind.

5. Play Traore on the right, Bidace on the left and Chuk behind Ings. 

I could go on. 

How many times do we have to watch El Ghazi play for this club and put in a dreadful, embarrassing performance? How many times? I don’t even think our transfer window business has been good (check the other thread), but at least it’s given us options. 

It’s utterly terrifying that our management team have sat down at some point this week and decided that El Ghazi was the way to go on the right hand side of our attack. Terrifying. That worries me more than the fact that he’s actually played poorly, because we all knew he’d play poorly. 

It was too early for Traore who had an operation. 

1 I agree with (Buendia's best position is off the right).

2 I disagree with because Traore is coming back from an operation as I have said 

3 I agree with.

4 I agree with.

5 see above re Traore.

I believe Bidace is ready. And if he isn't he'll be ready in a couple of games. Same with Chuck. 

12 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

A fair point. 

First day of a new season, with many players way off fitness or simply not used to the big stage, you can understand why AEG was picked.

He had a poor game like everyone else, and will hardly be the first name on the teamsheet but I can understand why his selected for this game.

As Buendia, Watkins, Traore and Bailey are all fully up the speed, I don't see how he gets into a starting XI.

For yesterday, I'm willing to cut him the same level of slack as the others.

12 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

i'd rather JPB than el ghazi. seen enough there. smith et al know their personalities well enough to decide if they can handle the pressure or not

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i'd rather JPB than el ghazi. seen enough there. smith et al know their personalities well enough to decide if they can handle the pressure or not

Yeah JPB has looked very promising, but I think Smith was always going to pick an experienced player over an untried prospect for this particular game. With a more settled team, I can see the youngsters working their way up the pecking order and being integrated more into matchday squads.

Traore was terrible in preseason games... horrendously bad... and he acts like Mr. Glass when he gets a knock. You think he's acting, then the waambulance arrives. 

He came in and did really well, but he's so inconsistent it would've been difficult to start him. When he's 'on it', he's unplayable.

AEG has his moments and seems like a great lad, but should be playing in France / Netherlands where he'd tear it up. Needs a lot more time and space than he gets in the prem. Also needs less defensive responsibilities. 

9 minutes ago, ejvilla said:

Traore was terrible in preseason games... horrendously bad... and he acts like Mr. Glass when he gets a knock. You think he's acting, then the waambulance arrives. 

He came in and did really well, but he's so inconsistent it would've been difficult to start him. When he's 'on it', he's unplayable.

AEG has his moments and seems like a great lad, but should be playing in France / Netherlands where he'd tear it up. Needs a lot more time and space than he gets in the prem. Also needs less defensive responsibilities. 

Thought he only appeared in 1. 

13 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I don't think it's crazy that he started. 

It wasn't crazy that he started but it was crazy that he started on the right with a 36 year old starting on the left. We knew he would be up against Sarr. If we have injuries and suspensions we need to play our backup players who are not good enough but it is not good enough if we play them in the wrong position

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

First day of a new season, with many players way off fitness or simply not used to the big stage, you can understand why AEG was picked.

He had a poor game like everyone else, and will hardly be the first name on the teamsheet but I can understand why his selected for this game.

As Buendia, Watkins, Traore and Bailey are all fully up the speed, I don't see how he gets into a starting XI.

For yesterday, I'm willing to cut him the same level of slack as the others.

I can't Understand him being picked at all, there is absolutely no reason to pick him now for a start.

That is like picking Davis over Ings or Watkins, you have amazing Talent and go and pick the worst it's back to front.

We have Youth I'd rather see play than a couple of our wastefull players like Ghazi and Davis.

We can’t keep playing Anwar, he barely contributes in build up play, can’t beat a man and is too short on quality for us now… often loses the ball cheaply.

I’ll be concerned if he continues to get major game time and am not averse to selling him. We could get a decent fee and but the extra funds to good use and for upgrading the team.

He has his moments but is short on quality & consistency… 

Â