Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Had no business being put on the right.

We've known this for years now. Never has a man been less capable of switching flanks. It is just completely alien to him.

On you that Deano. Couldn't believe my eyes.

Agreed. I knew what was on the cards for him the second he moved him over.  Yes Traore was not having a great game, but the shape of the team was shafted the second he puts AEG on the right.

A fully fit Jack may be able to cover the detriment, but he wasn't fully fit and he couldn't.

If he was desperate to bring Jack on,  you either take AEG off (as he has shown forever he can only play left wing), or if that is harsh on one of the best players on the pitch,  you bring off Ramsey and play Jack in the middle.

It was doomed to failure and I posted as such in the match thread the second he moved him to the right side.

If people think that means we can't afford to have AEG in our squad, or it's a weakness that means we should be looking for better,  then fine, but to ignore the fact is an error that's on Dean. 

It's the end of the season, the most important thing is to get Jack fit for us and for him (not for England), so in the scheme of things it doesn't really matter, but I really hope this doesn't happen next season.

The unfortunate thing for El Ghazi is that he is most effective on the left. The same position our club captain and best player plays. We’ve seen he can’t perform on the right. So we either move Jack to 10 (which I’d be happy with) or El Ghazi doesn’t play.

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

There maybe a good case to sell him while he's banging in his goals and get what we can for him. This is what you want to happen with players who struggle at times for form is to all of a sudden find some form then realise when the time is right to sell. If an offer of three or four times the amount we paid for came in without a doubt I'd sell.

All day long there will be many clubs in for him knowing how well he's doing as of late and sure you either make that choice to cash in on that or keep him. Whatever the club decides I'm with the choice the Gaffers make.

Clubs have to sell and a player is like a stock market pricing it either goes up or down, as a business side the club has to sell at the absolute right time. Yes at the moment Ghazi is proving why he should be kept around but his sale if a splendid offer came in could be put towards his upgrade.

He has done well recently and I respect the guy for putting these demons behind him, shows courage and strength.

I think most of us would sell for 25-30 mil. But any less than that his replacement would be worse and cost a similar amount so it wouldn't be worth it. 

51 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

The unfortunate thing for El Ghazi is that he is most effective on the left. The same position our club captain and best player plays. We’ve seen he can’t perform on the right. So we either move Jack to 10 (which I’d be happy with) or El Ghazi doesn’t play.

Jack should play 10 no matter who else we have in the squad. 

• Like 1

Yeah was really good on the left first half aside from the goal. Some really nice passes from Targett setting him free and he got in some dangerous crosses.

Not for the first time this season, little impact on the right.

Think I'd rather see Traore stay on with Jack back and feels like those two can link up a bit better.

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah was really good on the left first half aside from the goal. Some really nice passes from Targett setting him free and he got in some dangerous crosses.

Not for the first time this season, little impact on the right.

Think I'd rather see Traore stay on with Jack back and feels like those two can link up a bit better.

I'd rather see Jack in the middle. 

5 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I'd rather see Jack in the middle. 

Personally, I'd rather see Jack start on the left but, I suppose, we haven't really seen too much of him playing as a "10" in a 4-2-3-1.

I'd be really happy if we had a 3 behind Watkins that were properly interchangeable - Jack, Rashica/Olise, Brookes/Buendia would  the dream for me - and then we could be very fluid.  I think this kind of adaptability would make us really exciting.

As for El Ghazi, I am not a huge fan but, if he is playing, I would rather see Jack switch to the right as he can have an impact there (his first England assist and his assist v West Ham show this), whereas as El Gahzi does not.

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

Personally, I'd rather see Jack start on the left but, I suppose, we haven't really seen too much of him playing as a "10" in a 4-2-3-1.

I'd be really happy if we had a 3 behind Watkins that were properly interchangeable - Jack, Rashica/Olise, Brookes/Buendia would  the dream for me - and then we could be very fluid.  I think this kind of adaptability would make us really exciting.

As for El Ghazi, I am not a huge fan but, if he is playing, I would rather see Jack switch to the right as he can have an impact there (his first England assist and his assist v West Ham show this), whereas as El Gahzi does not.

I'd love an AEG out left, and a Traoré/Grealish inter changing between the middle and the other side. This in my view is our best setup with the current players we have.

If we can improve the players, and bring in someone else who can interchange this window, they take AEGs place and we let the three of them all rotate. Could be brilliant. If we can afford another, they probably take Traoré's spot but I think there are other priorities to address in CM before a double forward signing.

It's a shame Barkley got given so much game time when they were all fit, and that AEG got shifted out right instead of keeping the position he received December's player of the month award for. A real missed opportunity for me, and we may never know if it works consistently or not depending on how this summers window goes.  

I like el ghazi, a true goal threat most games he plays, looks like he should be a know but comes across as a decent chap  BUT depending on who we get in the summer and if he plays for Holland in the euros, an offer over 25 million and I would take it.

For too long have we held onto players who reach peak prices and peak output only to have to either give them away or sell for a few million a year or 2 later. We need to get in better while getting decent money for what we sell.

Realistically, we may keep our back 5 for a few years, ollie and Jack, everywhere else is up for grabs and I expect we will sell and buy until we get the correct players. And even then like most of the top teams they still switch out 1 or 2 most seasons.

I feel like the penny’s starting to drop for Anwar in that he’s a pretty big unit and he’s starting to use it a bit more, he’s getting better at hold up play I think and challenging for long balls.

He’s really impressed me this season, of course he’s had some bad games as everyone does and he is hit or miss in the big moments but that’s why he plays for Villa and not Man City.

• Like 3

9 goals in 16 starts in the PL is really amazing!

The goals aside, I don't think his general play has improved that much and he is now 26. I wouldn't mind him staying and would be intersting to see if he can improve even more next season, a good squad player to have. At the same time I get the feeling that this is as good as it gets and that his value is on top right now. If we get a good offer for him, I would propbably take the money and use it on a proper upgrade and then promote some of our younger players to fill the squad.

It's a bit frustrating, he has all the attributes, and sometimes looks like Ronaldo and works hard, but his decision making let's him down too often and his general play isn't good enough for a top player.

• Like 2

He was a missing player almost at spurs and this is what you get from Ghazi the fact he will show up an pop goals in and you never know when that performance is coming as it's random but then the rest of his field time is well below average.

47 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

He was a missing player almost at spurs and this is what you get from Ghazi the fact he will show up an pop goals in and you never know when that performance is coming as it's random but then the rest of his field time is well below average.

85% passing completion, 33 passes, 3 key passes, fouled twice, dispossessed 8 times total but that includes unsuccessful touches which can be down to the passer not just the receiver. Seems like a pretty good game. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

85% passing completion, 33 passes, 3 key passes, fouled twice, dispossessed 8 times total but that includes unsuccessful touches which can be down to the passer not just the receiver. Seems like a pretty good game. 

Pretty sure he did some good defensive work also, tracked and cut out a few passes if I remember rightly. I think some posters have predetermined prejudices that makes them see something else.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I spose your right it could be just because he didn't seem to be noticed, if those are the stats they are the stats and it is pretty good.

Â