Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

On 08/05/2021 at 03:02, Thug said:

And here is the exact reason why I get frustrated by posts like this.

You argue that AEG’s all round game just isn’t good enough to warrant keeping despite his attacking quality.  

Yet here you are championing the purchase of a player that you’ve seen 2 YouTube videos of him smashing in a few goals, and know probably absolutely nothing about his all round game.  

You say keep quoting stats, so sure.  AEG is not good enough despite his goal scoring because

1) he keeps giving the ball away. (He has a better pass completion than Rachica).  

2) AEG doesn’t defend enough. (He puts in more tackles and blocks than Rachica)  

3) He doesn’t compete in the air (he wins 3 times as many headers per match than Rachica)

All the above in a league that is more competitive than the bundesliga.

You want to replace one player that scores goals but does little else, with another player that does the same but for triple the price.

For the record, I’d love for us to sign Rachica, but as an additional winger, who may prove to be a shrewd signing.  But let’s not pretend he’s some kind of superstar based on a few YouTube clips.  I suggest you go watch a few clips of AEG on YouTube, and all you’ll see are the positives of his game.

And yeah, sorry for the sarcasm 👀

I would just be happy if they open the Rashica thread again let alone sign him. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just about to write the same thing. Horrible people.  The club should take his season ticket off him!

Agree with this 110%!

And agree with how AEG articulates it. You can criticise, but never personal abuse!

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just about to write the same thing. Horrible people.  The club should take his season ticket off him!

This is the key point. We can do media black outs etc. If Anwar can identify him why can't the club. 

Personally I wouldn't post anything negative to a player, but there's a big difference between criticism and wishing someone dead!

I don't get some people, what are they like in their day to day lives?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

Great interview with him in the Athletic, seems a lovely guy. Extract re the abuse he suffered:

“Everyone has an opinion. That’s fine. If you think I cannot play football or another team-mate should play in League One, then fine, that’s an opinion, it’s normal. But when it gets personal, it’s not good.”

In a bid to draw a line under the topic once and for all, the forward has agreed to share the reasons behind closing down his social media accounts last year.

“I’ll tell this story now but after that, I want to leave it behind because these things happen in the past,” he says.

“I don’t want people to feel sorry for me because I’m a strong guy, I’m a big boy, and I’ll be fine, but you’ve asked, so I’ll explain.

“Last year, when we were almost going down, a lot of players were getting abuse. It was getting so personal that it made me feel aggressive.

“It didn’t feel right. An opinion is fine. I respect that — but one example of a message I received read: ‘I hope you die and never play for my club again’.

“When I looked on the profile and saw that it was from a season ticket holder of Aston Villa, I thought, ‘No way’. 

Also:

“I got a lot of support from my team-mates. Tyrone Mings really stood up and supported me because he’s our leader and he believes strongly in these things.”

On fasting:

El Ghazi is fasting for Ramadan and therefore plays without eating or drinking for as long as 15 hours before kick-off. Has it affected his performances?

“To be honest, it gives me extra strength. I’m used to it now because I’ve done it since I was 13 years old and, anyway, I’ve played two games in Ramadan and scored two goals, so it’s not too bad!

On inconsistency:

“I don’t know why but my games against West Ham and Fulham were my worst of the season. I need to get rid of this. It’s not me. I have no clue why it happens. It’s nothing to do with the willingness or desire to do well. It’s just that sometimes, I’m not on it.

seems like a lovely guy. Interesting what he said about Mings being their leader. I think we all know that though. 

I don't think the majority of Villa fans ever feel any personal hate towards him, but each club has its complete horrible clearings in the woods that are hateful full stop.

As a person I respect him for closing down his account. As a person I respect him for sticking it at villa. As a human being Ghazi has completely give it the best he could despite at times he's had many downs here, he pops up with a goal everytime many of us slate him abit on this forum. He works hard there's no denying that and I respect the way he has sometimes our his religion abit to one side for the club and his team mates. He has if I'm not mistaken broken his fasting to play football hasn't he or am I wrong in this?? If he has that takes a heck of a person who's beliefs are built on a religion to do something like that for what he loves and enjoys.

If the lad had to take down social media so he doesn't rage so much and it makes him better, then fantastic.

There's nothing worse than social media at times it can break a person because there's a real dark side to it, glad he realised it and ended it before it got any worse.

Hes been through a long road Ghazi has, I would like to give him less stick but when he screws up everybody needs some critism. Can't fault that he's our no2 scorer I must admit, he just needs to improve in many other areas. I still think he's best used when we have a real good bit of possession and attack for most of the game, he loves that type of game. You throw him in a defensive game and not to sound harsh in him but he's bad at it, he's not your defensive player by any means.

Back to Anwar, the lad has to get rid of anything that's making him feel crap inside, nobody needs that kind of crap from others when it's real dark and nasty abuse from any direction when they are trying to do a job. Hope he's feeling much better now and gets to what he's doing at the mo while ever he's a Villa player, that's all I want for any player while ever they are at Villa and after.

• Like 1

Guest av1
10 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

This is the key point. We can do media black outs etc. If Anwar can identify him why can't the club. 

100% Prat’s like this shouldn’t be allowed to games.

11 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

Personally I wouldn't post anything negative to a player, but there's a big difference between criticism and wishing someone dead!

I also think there is a big difference between someone coming into this thread and saying “Anwar wasn’t great today” and messaging the guy personally to tell him he’s shit.

It's part of the problem with the "I haven't seen any abuse, just feels like you can't criticise anyone anymore brigade". This stuff demonstrably exists and the least we can do is call it for what it is whenever we see it and remove our own egos or stances on players/managers.

Fair play to him for speaking out about and bouncing back from it. Stuff like this makes you appreciate Mings more and more. Been a great player for us but he's worth so much more than just that.

• Like 4

I feel like we have to be among the worst for this kind of thing. For all the shit we give Liverpool fans and their overzealousness, they at least seem back their players, even the bad ones to the hilt. For us after a couple of bad performances it's "I hope you die".

34 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

He's just posted another Instagram DM message he received that pretty much shows what he (and other players) are having to deal with currently. Absolutely despicable messages being sent 

Looks like almost exclusively Israeli kids commenting on his post and sending him DMs, no relation to Villa. I’m not even sure why he’s targeted, is he high profile in the Middle East? He’s Dutch/Moroccan. Looks like they’re finding any Muslim players to go after in response to recent events.

• Sad 1

On 09/05/2021 at 09:52, av1 said:

100% Prat’s like this shouldn’t be allowed to games.

I also think there is a big difference between someone coming into this thread and saying “Anwar wasn’t great today” and messaging the guy personally to tell him he’s shit.

Everyone who we talk about on social media we do so behind there backs, until they see it, negative or positive there's that feeling that it's disrespectful no matter what I think.

I do agree with you that no one should be messaging anyone directly and telling them how shit they are at what they do. That's like going to your missus and telling her she's shit in bed you know your going to get it and not in a good way. It doesn't cost anything to show some respect, but it takes a complete evil prat to be horrible like that.

I do not know what business anyone has telling people direct things they wouldn't want thrown at them themselves, not to mention most likely wouldn't say it to there face alot wouldn't.

This whole bashing celebrities at any turn the moment they do something that is in the public eye that some of these people don't like is just not on. It's the like when a celebrity gets fired from let's say a TV show for having a particular view on something. The internet starts banding together because they took a dislike to the comment, while it may of been daft to say the view that caused a stir, it shouldn't cost them there jobs. People are within there right to still have an opinion and so long as it wasn't hateful and complete disgusting, should be allowed to get on with there life. Celebs make mistakes just like everyone else but there seems to be an air where they are not allowed to breathe, if they make a mistake. those internet trolls hurling abuse shouldn't do there damnedest to get that celebrity sacked, but they do and it's happened to many celebs.

Edited by Dave-R

I myself have given AEG some stick on here and it really is sobering to see him comment on his inconsistency. He's doing his best and it's too easy to sling mud and assume they don't give a shit. I think people need to read the above and check themselves when they're quick to jump on a players back (see: Barkley).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

Looks like almost exclusively Israeli kids commenting on his post and sending him DMs, no relation to Villa. I’m not even sure why he’s targeted, is he high profile in the Middle East? He’s Dutch/Moroccan. Looks like they’re finding any Muslim players to go after in response to recent events.

Think it's because he made a pro-Palestine post.

• Like 1

Â