Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Rome is lovely but ruined by the Nazio fans.

Roma fans arent actually much better, regularly stabbing people and leaving innocent opposition fans with life changing injuries

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Roma have no money though so probably wont be making much if he goes there

Don't they have new owners?

I can't believe Mourinho would have gone there if they hadn't earmarked a decent transfer budget??

8 hours ago, Thug said:

Based on the fact that Rashica has 2 goals and 1 assist in 1323 minutes of Bundesliga football, and has nice YouTube videos.

Exactly the type of player that we need.  Really really wants to be here too from what I gather. Exactly the type of person I’d want in the trenches with me.

So I too wish we trade our 1 goal every 2 games in the premier league player plus a wad of cash on this guy.

You know it makes sense.

You are quoting figures from an injury hit season where the goals and assists have come in his more recent games against Bayern and Dortmund, as I understand it, when he is now getting back to fitness?  And they are some goals that highlight his attacking quality.

He was also widely credited in the previous season (without injury) with keeping his club up almost singlehandedly - he appeared to me to be the Bundesliga's "Jack".

And, as I understand, he didn't want to come last summer because he had just seen us fight a relegation battle and didn't want to go through that again, having just been through it in the Bundesliga.  If he has ambitions to compete higher up, I can't blame him for that.  I suspect/hope that most of our targets this summer wouldn't have wanted to come to us last summer or we are probably not being ambitious enough given the obvious improvement in the club/playing staff/league standing since last summer.

We clearly have a different view on AEG - just as I do with many on Hourihane.  I think they are both players that are a goal threat but offer little else, as I have said, but feel free to keep quoting stats as if they alone prove a point.

And sarcasm is the lowest form of wit!😉

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

You are quoting figures from an injury hit season where the goals and assists have come in his more recent games against Bayern and Dortmund, as I understand it, when he is now getting back to fitness?  And they are some goals that highlight his attacking quality.

He was also widely credited in the previous season (without injury) with keeping his club up almost singlehandedly - he appeared to me to be the Bundesliga's "Jack".

And, as I understand, he didn't want to come last summer because he had just seen us fight a relegation battle and didn't want to go through that again, having just been through it in the Bundesliga.  If he has ambitions to compete higher up, I can't blame him for that.  I suspect/hope that most of our targets this summer wouldn't have wanted to come to us last summer or we are probably not being ambitious enough given the obvious improvement in the club/playing staff/league standing since last summer.

We clearly have a different view on AEG - just as I do with many on Hourihane.  I think they are both players that are a goal threat but offer little else, as I have said, but feel free to keep quoting stats as if they alone prove a point.

as a modern day midfielder Hourihane is expected to tackle, track back, defend etc. As well as get assists, deliver good set pieces and get goals. He clearly doesn't do the former and at this level it is hard to justify his inclusion.

as an inverted winger AEG is expected to track back and get goals, he does both. He is far from perfect and can be frustrating as hell but when he scores a winning goal people like you come on this thread and start snorting derisively about how he's not good enough. Of course you're not a fan, you don't hide your irrational contempt, but how about praising him for when he does do well for us?

do you think Luiz and McGinn offer little, due to the amount of times they lose possession, poor pass completion rate, their lack of goals and assists? 

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Rome is lovely but ruined by the Nazio fans.

That's mostly Lazio

Edit: Sorry I misread your post, you absolutely have it spot on 👌

Edited by WooJung

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

as a modern day midfielder Hourihane is expected to tackle, track back, defend etc. As well as get assists, deliver good set pieces and get goals. He clearly doesn't do the former and at this level it is hard to justify his inclusion.

as an inverted winger AEG is expected to track back and get goals, he does both. He is far from perfect and can be frustrating as hell but when he scores a winning goal people like you come on this thread and start snorting derisively about how he's not good enough. Of course you're not a fan, you don't hide your irrational contempt, but how about praising him for when he does do well for us?

do you think Luiz and McGinn offer little, due to the amount of times they lose possession, poor pass completion rate, their lack of goals and assists? 

I'm not sure that I've "snorted derisively" anywhere??  I just don't think he is involved enough for us and good enough to be a part of our future if we are aiming to compete at the top end of the PL. I see him and Trez as weak links in our aspiring team.  I apologise for not seeing the game the same as you do but I am not sure that makes me irrational or contemptuous!???  You clearly have a different view and that's fine by me.

I don't think he does well for us very often.  I thought he was poor the other night/had little impact against Everton until he hit that worldie, but I have recognised that he does have that it in him.  He can strike a ball as well as anyone in a Villa shirt and, when he does get it right, they stay hit.

I am equally frustrated, as late, by SJM and Luiz BUT (1) I have seen enough from SJM historically to rate him and, whilst I recognise his current form is poor, I am not sure why he is not at the level that he was 18 months ago and I am hopeful that we can get him back there; and (2) Luiz, in 2020, was a world beater but has also regressed and, like SJM, I am not sure why and am hoping he can get back to that level as well.  I think it also important to remember that the Luiz is still very young and young players can go through a dip!  

We shouldn't be selling him for less than 15m. We signed Traore for a little over that amount and his stats in weaker league at Lyon weren't that good last season and he's returned similar amount of goals and assists from more minutes this season. Yet if we randomly decided to cash in we won't be selling for less than 20m.

I actually think he'd be quite an attractive punt for a few mid range european teams. Given we signed him just after being promoted I can't imagine his wages would be that high so plenty of europa standard teams should be able to sign him and he's still mid 20s and has decent experience with Ajax and Lille aswell as us.

I find it a bit odd when posters say we'd struggle to get more than 5m for him, we signed him for 7m for a start and anyone getting close to double figures in premier league generally does for double that unless they're about to retire.

I think we'll have offers for him this summer, indeed if we're going after a wide player from europe in 30-40m bracket it would probably make sense to include him in a deal as that will knock down the price to nearly half so we can save money for other areas.

Open minded on this one but in a funny way just doing nothing will mean his value significantly reduces as next summer will just be 1 year left and have to assume he will play much less next season if we sign two more good attacking players and Jack stays fit for the whole season.

• Like 1

On 05/05/2021 at 16:56, KentVillan said:

What are the actual numbers here? I tried to find them, but no luck.

My guess is most of our big chances were created by Grealish, and then it's slim pickings after that. The fact AEG was behind Hourihane and Targett kind of proves my point doesn't it? He's not a big creator at this level. Not saying he can't whip in a cross, but it's rare you see him turn a fullback inside out.

(Edit: and just to pre-empt the Anwar fanboys, yes I do rate him as a player. He has strengths and weaknesses like any player. His goalscoring this season has been brilliant.)

8 from targett, 8 from Jack. 

7 from hourihane (but the only players with highet xA/90 were De Bruyne and Mahrez) 

6 from El Ghazi. 

6 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

And here is the exact reason why I get frustrated by posts like this.

You argue that AEG’s all round game just isn’t good enough to warrant keeping despite his attacking quality.  

Yet here you are championing the purchase of a player that you’ve seen 2 YouTube videos of him smashing in a few goals, and know probably absolutely nothing about his all round game.  

You say keep quoting stats, so sure.  AEG is not good enough despite his goal scoring because

1) he keeps giving the ball away. (He has a better pass completion than Rachica).  

2) AEG doesn’t defend enough. (He puts in more tackles and blocks than Rachica)  

3) He doesn’t compete in the air (he wins 3 times as many headers per match than Rachica)

All the above in a league that is more competitive than the bundesliga.

You want to replace one player that scores goals but does little else, with another player that does the same but for triple the price.

For the record, I’d love for us to sign Rachica, but as an additional winger, who may prove to be a shrewd signing.  But let’s not pretend he’s some kind of superstar based on a few YouTube clips.  I suggest you go watch a few clips of AEG on YouTube, and all you’ll see are the positives of his game.

And yeah, sorry for the sarcasm 👀

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Thug said:

You argue that AEG’s all round game just isn’t good enough to warrant keeping despite his attacking quality.  

Yet here you are championing the purchase of a player that you’ve seen 2 YouTube videos of him smashing in a few goals, and know probably absolutely nothing about his all round game.  

You say keep quoting stats, so sure.  AEG is not good enough despite his goal scoring because

1) he keeps giving the ball away. (He has a better pass completion than Rachica).  

3) He doesn’t compete in the air (he wins 3 times as many headers per match than Rachica)

You want to replace one player that scores goals but does little else, with another player that does the same but for triple the price.

For the record, I’d love for us to sign Rachica, but as an additional winger, who may prove to be a shrewd signing.  But let’s not pretend he’s some kind of superstar based on a few YouTube clips.  I suggest you go watch a few clips of AEG on YouTube, and all you’ll see are the positives of his game.

There's a "grass is always greener" on the other side mentality I feel with a lot of wingers and attackers.  Other players seem so much better when you're only watching their highlights and not watching them fail to pull off something the rest of the time. 

Probably quite a few fans of other clubs out there who are looking at someone like El Ghazi with envy at his scoring rate.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

Generally I think people who watch a lot of games (all 90 mins) of a particular club will value the players who show consistency.

When you’re looking from a distance and relying more on YouTube clips and highlights, then you tend to judge players on their best moments. For example, my mate thinks Barkley has been class for us this season. Which is true if you just take his best moments. But not if you consider all those 4/10 performances.

AEG is an interesting one. I think his consistency has improved, but he is still a player who’s mainly there for those one or two moments of technical brilliance around the goal. How you judge him depends a lot on what you’re looking at across the 90 mins.

10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Generally I think people who watch a lot of games (all 90 mins) of a particular club will value the players who show consistency.

When you’re looking from a distance and relying more on YouTube clips and highlights, then you tend to judge players on their best moments. For example, my mate thinks Barkley has been class for us this season. Which is true if you just take his best moments. But not if you consider all those 4/10 performances.

AEG is an interesting one. I think his consistency has improved, but he is still a player who’s mainly there for those one or two moments of technical brilliance around the goal. How you judge him depends a lot on what you’re looking at across the 90 mins.

Said it on here a few times but you could say the same about Salah, he is actually a really poor footballer in general play and would be exposed in a more technical team like City or Real Madrid but Liverpool have a proven system to fit him in and his goal record is incredible that he can get away with it. Salah is a better finished than AEG but he takes about 10 shots a game as well

If AEG gets 15 goals a season but plays the same way then I feel you can allow it, if he is not getting any goals then you have a problem

• Like 1

15 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I'm not sure that I've "snorted derisively" anywhere??  I just don't think he is involved enough for us and good enough to be a part of our future if we are aiming to compete at the top end of the PL. I see him and Trez as weak links in our aspiring team.  I apologise for not seeing the game the same as you do but I am not sure that makes me irrational or contemptuous!???  You clearly have a different view and that's fine by me.

I don't think he does well for us very often.  I thought he was poor the other night/had little impact against Everton until he hit that worldie, but I have recognised that he does have that it in him.  He can strike a ball as well as anyone in a Villa shirt and, when he does get it right, they stay hit.

I am equally frustrated, as late, by SJM and Luiz BUT (1) I have seen enough from SJM historically to rate him and, whilst I recognise his current form is poor, I am not sure why he is not at the level that he was 18 months ago and I am hopeful that we can get him back there; and (2) Luiz, in 2020, was a world beater but has also regressed and, like SJM, I am not sure why and am hoping he can get back to that level as well.  I think it also important to remember that the Luiz is still very young and young players can go through a dip!  

Fair enough, apologies, some of my comments were over the top.

People are entitled to have opinions, I do understand why people want better plays and more consistency from our midfield and wingers.

I just don't understand why, when Anwar does well some people rather than praise it respond with claims he is streaky and should be sold in the summer.

On the Dean Smith thread people rightfully point how far we've come under Dean and most fan's standards and expectations are deluded unrealistic. Yet arguably our third best attacking player behind Grealish and Ollie, is frequenctly dismissed as 'Championship quality.'

If Luiz wasn't Brazilian and hadn't cost 15 mil and have a buy back clause with City, he would probably get more criticism. I agree he is still young and has undoubted class and ability, but this season he has been poor by his standards. But I still support him and believe he will continue to get better.

I still rate McGinn, but don't understand why he never gets dropped.

I genuinely hope Anwar sticks around and continues to improve for us, but fully admit we need better options in attack and midfield if we are going to go to the next level.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Thug said:

I don't care what the stats say for El Ghazi.  I care about what I see every time he plays and that is that he adds little apart from his occasional goals imho.  Even his goalscoring has become less frequent because, imho, he is looking to shift it to the right and get a shot away every time and has become very predictable.  He has been regularly blocked in recent games but the Everton defence were poor all game and I don't think were properly prepared for our game.  I can't remember one decent assist for a chance for Watkins from AEG this season??

I've also said that I think he would prosper in a more technical/less physical league where his technical ability will shine and he would not get outmuscled.  Again, I have also said that, given his goalscoring this season we should be able to sell for a profit.  So we could potentially get north of €10m for Anwar and, given his contract position and his club's desire for money, I understand that Rashica is likely to not cost that much more and certainly not triple.

I did watch some Werder Bremen games from the season before this - not all admittedly (I wish I had the time, or the wife, to permit this!!) and he plays a similar way to Jack for me.  Much pacier and more able to beat a man but with a similar strike capability to AEG.  His stats for that season - I know you like the stats - were on a par with Jack's for us (both in relegation battling sides).

Interestingly, I did, out of interest, try to find an AEG highlights reel on youtube and nobody appears to have made one of him in a Villa shirt????   

2 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

Interestingly, I did, out of interest, try to find an AEG highlights reel on youtube and nobody appears to have made one of him in a Villa shirt????   

Interesting, I think you should make one.

Edited by VillanousOne

3 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I don't care what the stats say for El Ghazi.  I care about what I see every time he plays and that is that he adds little apart from his occasional goals imho.  Even his goalscoring has become less frequent because, imho, he is looking to shift it to the right and get a shot away every time and has become very predictable.  He has been regularly blocked in recent games but the Everton defence were poor all game and I don't think were properly prepared for our game.  I can't remember one decent assist for a chance for Watkins from AEG this season??

I've also said that I think he would prosper in a more technical/less physical league where his technical ability will shine and he would not get outmuscled.  Again, I have also said that, given his goalscoring this season we should be able to sell for a profit.  So we could potentially get north of €10m for Anwar and, given his contract position and his club's desire for money, I understand that Rashica is likely to not cost that much more and certainly not triple.

I did watch some Werder Bremen games from the season before this - not all admittedly (I wish I had the time, or the wife, to permit this!!) and he plays a similar way to Jack for me.  Much pacier and more able to beat a man but with a similar strike capability to AEG.  His stats for that season - I know you like the stats - were on a par with Jack's for us (both in relegation battling sides).

Maybe because there's not many Villa fans that favour him and cared to do it apart from the few on here who defend him at all costs. It's like he's King Ghazi trotting on his horse along the murderous roads of of the spaghetti junction, with his his noble knights defending his honour against all the murderous thugs that lurk in the shadows. It's like a scene out of game of Villans, I mean thrones, come Summer he could be on his way out of the show.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Said it on here a few times but you could say the same about Salah, he is actually a really poor footballer in general play and would be exposed in a more technical team like City or Real Madrid but Liverpool have a proven system to fit him in and his goal record is incredible that he can get away with it. Salah is a better finished than AEG but he takes about 10 shots a game as well

If AEG gets 15 goals a season but plays the same way then I feel you can allow it, if he is not getting any goals then you have a problem

Interesting point and supported by the fact that Pep allegedly wants to sell Sterling - a player most clubs would look to take - because he is not a technical footballer.

I think even the biggest AEG fan on here would struggle to compare him with the likes of Salah though??

I do agree that Smith has developed us this season and the back 5 is top 6 quality, but he needs to get his midfield right and get more creativity in his front 3/4.  I just don't see AEG being a part of this as he, for me, is a one trick pony.  I want a 7 and 10 that can interact with Jack and Ollie in a much more cohesive way - a bit like Grealish, Barkley and Targett did in the away game at Arsenal - I couldn't see El Ghazi joining in with that sort of play?

32 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Interesting point and supported by the fact that Pep allegedly wants to sell Sterling - a player most clubs would look to take - because he is not a technical footballer.

I think even the biggest AEG fan on here would struggle to compare him with the likes of Salah though??

I do agree that Smith has developed us this season and the back 5 is top 6 quality, but he needs to get his midfield right and get more creativity in his front 3/4.  I just don't see AEG being a part of this as he, for me, is a one trick pony.  I want a 7 and 10 that can interact with Jack and Ollie in a much more cohesive way - a bit like Grealish, Barkley and Targett did in the away game at Arsenal - I couldn't see El Ghazi joining in with that sort of play?

El Ghazi has a lot though. Half (exaggeration but a decent number of goals and good chances) the goals we have scored when he is on the pitch (that he didn't finish himself) have come from him running at a defender then laying off to grealish or Targett or other. Very rarely when he does get the ball in that position does anyone actually come to support him. 

10 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

Â