Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Should be starting next game! That would be well deserved.

Offered way more than Bolasie

Strange as Bolasie made an assist and was the one behind the penalty and should have had one more penalty. Was a threat everytime he had the ball. You could tell that the Forest defenders were afraid of him. If you had said Kodija, then yes, but Bolasie? 😳

Edited by Taxahunter
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Strange as Bolasie made an assist and was the one behind the penalty and should have had one more penalty. Was a threat everytime he had the ball. You could tell that the Forest defenders were afraid of him. If you had said Kodija, then yes, but Bolasie? 😳

Agree , bolasie did more than enough to keep his place , if el ghazi comes in it would also be for kodjia in my view but I’d stick with kodjia and bolasie for now 

• Like 2

Starting El Ghazi on the right and Bolasie on the left would mean Kodija not playing out of position, it would mean him being competition for Tammy up top and being on the bench for a bit too till he got a chance in there. I think there's probably some merit in doing that, two proper wide players might help our shape out a bit, and help our fullbacks a little more.

• Like 1

Did enough to be really knocking on the door which is great. Thought Kodjia looked tired second half and so too Bolasie. 

I'd be tempted to keep Kodjia and Bolasie for the physicality which might be needed on Sat that said if it comes down to it we maybe best to go with the fittest pairing. 

5 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Starting El Ghazi on the right and Bolasie on the left would mean Kodija not playing out of position, it would mean him being competition for Tammy up top and being on the bench for a bit too till he got a chance in there. I think there's probably some merit in doing that, two proper wide players might help our shape out a bit, and help our fullbacks a little more.

I agree although it would be harsh to put Kodjia out of the side considering how well he's played the last few games.

3 hours ago, romavillan said:

I think Kodj has been pretty good of late, wasnt as good last night but think he needs to stay in the team.

Besides I dont want to see 3 loan players who wont be here next season in the team ahead of our own actual player who is playing just fine. 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dean-smith-explains-aston-villa-15490967?fbclid=IwAR2xIIUKlIH5xjUgS9D7dCYuOuqLnH20YwtUMV54cJSKQHzStc0Z1Yp6Rsc

Dean Smith reckons Anwar El Ghazi is coming into serious contention for a place in the Aston Villa starting XI after the winger got off the mark in claret and blue.

El Ghazi scored the fifth goal for Villa on Wednesday night against Nottingham Forest, a strike that for a while looked as though it may have earned all three points against their ten-man visitors.

Though Villa had to settle for a point on the night, the Dutchman might well have provided Smith with extra food for thought, particularly with Albert Adomah missing against his former club Boro.

Having seen him in training and in a behind closed doors friendly where El Ghazi matched Tammy Abraham’s haul of four goals in a single game, Smith is well aware of the potential.

“He’s absolutely grown on me. I had a conversation with him - I knew very little about him before I came to the football club, to be honest,” Smith told BirminghamLive .

“I’d seen him play for Villa, I’d seen clips. He came on against Norwich and maybe didn’t do as well as he could in that game.

“He’s worked very hard, he’s had to bide his time to get the chance. He’s impressed over the last couple of weeks in training and he’s shown an awful lot of quality.

“That finish doesn’t surprise anybody at the club because he does that quite regularly in training.

“We had a friendly here last week and he scored four goals in it - he could’ve had seven. It’s shows the quality and the talent that he is.”

El Ghazi wasn’t the only first-team figure involved in that aforementioned friendly.

And Smith, as a relatively new manager still learning the finer details of his substantial squad, found it beneficial - as did, he believes, the number of fringe players with a point to prove.

“They’re really important,” Smith continued. “The ones who are starting are the easy ones to deal with; it’s the ones that aren’t where you’ve got to make sure they get some exposure and training and make sure they’re ready to step in.

“Unfortunately, you look at Henri Lansbury, Mile Jedinak, James Bree - they’ve all got injuries. It’s probably because they’ve not had as much match exposure.

“That’s something we’ve got to make sure we’re on top of.”

He's previously looked like a right-sided forward playing too deep and being uncomfortable with it.

Today he's looked at home in that right midfield role, he's tracked back, won the ball, found space, and beaten his man.

Good lad.  You've adapted to what's required to get into this team.  It also helps we're playing a style that suits him too.

• Like 1

Showed a great attitude today, I feared he may have been demotivated or thrown a strop not being in the team and maybe even cut his loan short.

That doesn't appear to be the case, he looked sharper, quicker, hungrier.  He is only going to benefit playing in this system, should fill his boots with assists.

Â