John McGinn

PompeyVillan

He's a different player when he has that bit more freedom positionally - I hate to say it, but I think when he plays with Ramsey he's a little bit too restricted in terms of doing his own work and covering Ramsey's forays forward - he looked a lot better with the less attacking Luiz next to him. Problem with that is that Ramsey is very, very good.

Today though was at least another reminder that our inability to find the right blend in our midfield doesn't mean there isn't a fair bit of quality in the individuals.

Second half today he was superb.

Needs to stick on the left side of the pitch. The constant turning inside puts him in trouble on the right. Good second half today and great cross for the goal.

• Like 1

He was good today though Burnley was ideal game for him. His assist was nothing to be insulted by, a cracking cross that Watkins just had to nod towards goal to score

Another good performance today, following his man of the match performance last weekend. I liked seeing him on the left, his overlap of Digne for the third was lovely stuff, and would like to see him do it more often, especially if we can play Emi in midfield. Still a question mark over his distribution, but today was much better at 87%. You could argue that he played so well because of the opposition, but so be it. If he can keep putting in these performances then we’ll be a much better team, as rightly or wrongly he’ll be first choice again next season. 

Much prefer him on the left of the 3 . He can use that wand of a left foot and he has real strength to hold off defenders and either cross or drive into the area without having to cut inside onto his left all the time. It gives an extra second to an attacking move. And even when Jacob is fit i think JJ would be as equally effective bursting thtough the lines on the right. 

I just think that you will also see the best of Digne if McGin is on the left as well.  Will take me back to the days of JLoyd and Gareth on the left . 2 sweet left feet combining . 

With either 1 or 2 number 2s playing in our system Coutinho and/ or Buendia can do the long range shooting which means we do not have to rely on McGinn to be shooting or being creative by cutting in . 

It will change us for the better rather than the obsession with inverted players . 

• Like 1

One of the first players to be replaced in my opinion. Too slow, out of position too often, turns like the titanic and slows too many attacks down.

Time to move on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

The one player who should have been subbed. I'm not sure he touched the ball after an hour

It's staggering the blind spot managers have for him

His long balls, along with Emi and Mings were being ate up all day by Matip and VVD. Just wasted possession every time 

A mixed bag, for me. Should have had an assist when he found Ings beautifully and there were a few good moments in the game. The other side of it saw a couple of woeful losses of possession and not quite the energy or fitness to play so soon after Saturday.

I like McGinn, it's not a personal hatred of him but I've never really thought he was good enough.

Even in the Championship I had my reservations.

Villa just need more skill, composure, dynamism and athleticism in the middle of the park. McGinn doesn't have any of those traits unfortunately.

He would be great to keep around as a back-up.

• Like 1

Most comments seem to be about him on the ball, but his off the ball work is atrocious. He seems to mark some zone where there's no players in it, let's play get behind him, then runs back a bit which makes no difference whatsoever. I'm as baffled as anyone else how he plays week in, week out. I remember when he got injured for 3-4 games last season, I thought the team looked so much better without him there. To get consistent top 10, he needs replacing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I like McGinn, it's not a personal hatred of him but I've never really thought he was good enough.

Even in the Championship I had my reservations.

Villa just need more skill, composure, dynamism and athleticism in the middle of the park. McGinn doesn't have any of those traits unfortunately.

He would be great to keep around as a back-up.

I've never seen the lack of athleticism so clearly until last night. I'm a huge fan of his but the game did seem to pass him by. Mind you Liverpool are quick, it feels like he is good against the weaker teams but not the better teams.

Not a fan of posting on here to dig out players but last night really exemplified how much SJM has fallen down my pecking order of our midfielders.

As part of a pivot or even 6 (please don't remind me that game) it has clearly been a failed experiment that lasted far too long. We have seen a relative uptick in his performance when we've seen him alongside a proper 6 and SG's comments about 'giving him some freedom' acknowledges that. 

However out of our 8s I'm not sure what attributes he brings that make him first choice:

Ramsey - Elite ball carrying and final 3rd contributions

Luiz - Possession retention/link play

Chukwuemeka - Proxy  10, final 3rd combination play

Sanson - Expecting to leave

If as rumoured we might bring a Bissouma type play but actually as an 8, we would have another option at 8 that is more defensively sound against better opposition.

McGinn seemingly we want to get on the pitch for what he can do in an attacking sense but his contributions have been minimal, whilst it is fair to let him have more gametime with a proper 6 behind him at this point we have had a great run with SJM and it is a long-shot to expect a player that was great for us in the championship to be just as effective pushing for top 7.

I wouldn't be against keeping him in the squad for when we need some extra energy/fresh legs but in the possession style of football SG plans to employ we can no longer have him starting games in my opinion.

Â