John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Just tuned in and saw the first half highlights where 3 Villa chances were shown. McGinn at heart of the 3 moves. Surging run, great left wing cross and a defence splitting through ball. 

Other than tenacity I don't know what he does anymore, some of his passing is utter garbage, hoof ball merchant too

Him playing every minute he's available is a huge problem for us, was for Smith and now for Gerrard 

• Like 4

McGinn and Dougie have switched sides at half time in the last two games with McGinn on the dugout side for the entirety of both the Liverpool game and today. Are they doing this to keep him in position or what is the reason?

I remember a coach of mine doing this when I started playing at adult level when I was 17/18 for this very reason.

I love his hussle and busy side but we need better quality if we are to progress.  Really frustrating player because he can be brilliant and hopeless in the space of a couple of seconds.   With a couple of better players around him, I hope he finally lives up to the hype.  Brilliant for Scotland.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Other than tenacity I don't know what he does anymore, some of his passing is utter garbage, hoof ball merchant too

Him playing every minute he's available is a huge problem for us, was for Smith and now for Gerrard 

Laughed every time the long ball wasn't on and he would just freeze. It's to the point if he can't go on a driving run or send a ball down the channel he just doesn't do anything. Slows down our play over and over again. Love his character and tenacity but he definitely needs competition next season. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

He could be replaced very very easy with the same quality if not better we see him playing. I like that Olise at Crystal Palace, i'd swap him all day long.

Is Olise an out and out CM? Thought he was more attacking.

• Like 1

Not trying to be negative, but that's a poor stat. Nakamba can tackle, it's what's done with the ball once the tackle is made, an what iv'e seen with McGinn, it then goes to an opposition player, or a poor cross.

I'm sorry but he is good yeah, but can anybody tell me the last time we could say he had a brilliant game, cause I just can't see how he can be part of the next level Villa

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Not trying to be negative, but that's a poor stat. Nakamba can tackle, it's what's done with the ball once the tackle is made, an what iv'e seen with McGinn, it then goes to an opposition player, or a poor cross.

I'm sorry but he is good yeah, but can anybody tell me the last time we could say he had a brilliant game, cause I just can't see how he can be part of the next level Villa

The last brilliant game he had was Chelsea away this season, where he was absolutely outstanding. 

re: his crossing. The quality is still there (see his delivery for the Watkins goal at Burnley last week) but it’s his inconsistency that’s frustrating most of us. 

• Like 2

After the last three games he is easily the best crosser of the ball from open play along with Digne. Everyone else should be made to practice crossing at least 3 hours a day after training. 

He has a lot to his game but lacks composure under pressure which as mentioned is crucial to the passing game Gerrard wants to play. It’s why he gives the ball away so much. Love him to bits but if we really want to push on he’ll be a squad player for us eventually.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Xela said:

But I thought he was just a cheerleader and everyones pal?

Not really surprising he has the most tackles, as he's one of the outfield players with most appearances this season.  Be hard for Sanson to have as many tackles considering he's on the bench every week.

What is surprising about our tackles throughout defense and midfield though is that our defenders have very few apart from Cash.  For example Targett has made more tackles than Konsa, something not right there when a player who has left in January has more tackles than your first choice centre back.

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Not really surprising he has the most tackles, as he's one of the outfield players with most appearances this season.  Be hard for Sanson to have as many tackles considering he's on the bench every week.

What is surprising about our tackles throughout defense and midfield though is that our defenders have very few apart from Cash.  For example Targett has made more tackles than Konsa, something not right there when a player who has left in January has more tackles than your first choice centre back.

Tackles aren't made as often as you might think though. And I'd have thought a fullback will have more 1-on-1 battles against wingers than a CB would have.

Â