John McGinn

PompeyVillan

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

You've got to love football agents. We know Watkins and McGinn are in contract negotiations atm and so you've got to leak a story to the press  to help those. 

🤔 I always forget that, this is a factor in these links popping up

5 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

🤔 I always forget that, this is a factor in these links popping up

Like Cash and Atletico recently. It's not that there isn't a bit of interest, lots of clubs will be in contact with a players agent to feel it out. It's the agent that then gives that info to the media when it serves their and their clients interest. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

You've got to love football agents. We know Watkins and McGinn are in contract negotiations atm and so you've got to leak a story to the press  to help those. 

Interesting - surprised that is happening with McGinn when it’s less than 18 months since his last increase and he has three years left to run.

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Like Cash and Atletico recently. It's not that there isn't a bit of interest, lots of clubs will be in contact with a players agent to feel it out. It's the agent that then gives that info to the media when it serves their and their clients interest. 

Definitely, I would imagine there to be a lot of interest in McGinn anyway. I don't know how much he's on but a few players we've had for a while would probably ask for extensions for more money. Especially because they will know we are going to add more players that will likely cost us more. McGinn and Ings share the same agent (according to the video with McGinn and JJ), so maybe an extension for the both of them? 

Edited by Rustibrooks

10 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Interesting - surprised that is happening with McGinn when it’s less than 18 months since his last increase and he has three years left to run.

It's more to do with him being a senior player on 65 or 70k per week. When we've Digne, Coutinho, Ings and Martinez on 100k+. He'll get a pay bump to 100k and we'll add 2 years to his contract. Same with Watkins. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It's more to do with him being a senior player on 65 or 70k per week. When we've Digne, Coutinho, Ings and Martinez on 100k+. He'll get a pay bump to 100k and we'll add 2 years to his contract. Same with Watkins. 

But he isn't in the Digne, Coutinho, Martinez class...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dale said:

Doesn't matter mate.

He's got top bantz and a chicken suit.

Defo worth 150k p/w by itself that mate.

Mate.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dale said:

I believe he is considered that level by managers. I think he's an on field leader. He's incredibly fit and has only been injured when he had a broken leg. I think he's an intelligent player and when he's asked to do something tactically different in a game he does it. 

He's one of those players who coaches love but fans will never see fully what he contributes. Only if you know the instructions he's been given for that game could you know. 

I would love the club to sell McGinn this upcoming window.

I think that Luiz should be played as an 8..its his natural position and one he excels at.

If McGinn stays...we will never solve the problem in our midfield.

• Like 2

Part of me thinks we'd be silly to sell McGinn. Consistency in the squad, his quality when he's on it and the minimal amount he cost us mean he'd cost most of what we'll get for him to replace him and they may not work and we know he does (mostly, although should be more rotational moving forwards).

The other part of me thinks £50m would allow us to sign Belotti and Kamara on frees, paying them and Coutinho £150k a week and have those wages covered for the next 2 years.

I know that's not how it works. And even if it did there's bonuses, sign on fees, agent fees etc. But I can see why it's something some people would consider

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I believe he is considered that level by managers. I think he's an on field leader. He's incredibly fit and has only been injured when he had a broken leg. I think he's an intelligent player and when he's asked to do something tactically different in a game he does it. 

He's one of those players who coaches love but fans will never see fully what he contributes. Only if you know the instructions he's been given for that game could you know. 

are the instructions, be mostly a bit crap, look pretty unfit then surprise everyone with an above average display every five to ten games?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Risso said:

He doesn't score or create nearly enough for a midfielder who is supposedly more attack minded. His passing is very inconsistent as well.

To be fair to him we play him completely different to how he plays for Scotland 

• Like 1

Â