John McGinn

PompeyVillan

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Tackles aren't made as often as you might think though. And I'd have thought a fullback will have more 1-on-1 battles against wingers than a CB would have.

I agree, just though it was strange.  I would still expect Konsa to have made more tackles than a full-back who left halfway through the season.  Also it's a bit of a pointless stat, as teams at the bottom make more tackles on average than teams on top.  For example Rodri has made less tackles than McGinn, I know which one i'd pick though.

• Like 1

konsa doesn't really go in for that many tackles to be fair - he's much more a stay on his feet / interception defender. 

Mings by comparison often tackles much more aggressively and sometimes over commits. 

Each style has its pros and cons

56 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

Maybe if we worked on our ball retention a bit, we wouldn't have to try to win it back so often.

I think this is a key issue and something I was going to mention in another thread.

Take nothing away from McGinn's tenacity and ability to dispossess opponents though, that is a valuable asset even if and when we are lacking in other areas.

• Like 1

It’s sad position as a fan I feel, love McGinn of the first couple seasons but now it seems either his quality has dropped, he’s trying to hard and is making simple mistakes or I just thought he was better than he was, and perhaps it’s time to replace him.

Be a shame but hey losing Grealish and Smith was worse and we survived that.

• Like 1

It's weird we don't really rate our midfielders, but other teams/fans seem to? My friends rate McGinn highly, probably more than us however I do say to them that they barely watch Villa. Some things to consider with this link:

1) Levy is a pain so I'd doubt we'd get £50mill. I would love to be a fly on the wall with Levy and Purslow negotating 

2) We will make a good profit on McGinn, due to how much we paid for him

3) I don't know if I'd want both Luiz AND McGinn to leave this summer.

3 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

It's weird we don't really rate our midfielders, but other teams/fans seem to? My friends rate McGinn highly, probably more than us however I do say to them that they barely watch Villa. Some things to consider with this link:

1) Levy is a pain so I'd doubt we'd get £50mill. I would love to be a fly on the wall with Levy and Purslow negotating 

2) We will make a good profit on McGinn, due to how much we paid for him

3) I don't know if I'd want both Luiz AND McGinn to leave this summer.

Let's get this straight...  VillaTalk/Twitter doesn't rate McGinn, but most Villa supporters do.  I love him and think he would be much better in a different system than Slippy G wants us to play in.  He's also not a defensive midfielder and his best games for us had him pressing very high up the pitch to both win the ball back and/or run in behind the opposing defenders.  He was one of the best midfielders in the Prem before his injury in our first season back in the top flight.  Since then, he's been asked to play a different/deeper role by both Smith and Gerrard, which holds him back from what he does best.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

Let's get this straight...  VillaTalk/Twitter doesn't rate McGinn, but most Villa supporters do.  I love him and think he would be much better in a different system than Slippy G wants us to play in.  He's also not a defensive midfielder and his best games for us had him pressing very high up the pitch to both win the ball back and/or run in behind the opposing defenders.  He was one of the best midfielders in the Prem before his injury in our first season back in the top flight.  Since then, he's been asked to play a different/deeper role by both Smith and Gerrard, which holds him back from what he does best.  

True, It probably is just an online thing in regards to not rating McGinn. I do like him as well, he's a very likeable character which seems to be rare these days with a lot of sports players lol. I'd be curious though I would think he would play next to Bentancur in a double pivot especially if they are selling Hojbjerg, I still think Conte would ask him to play deeper due to the system they play.

5 minutes ago, KMitch said:

...and yet he is still both our best defensive and best creative central midfielder :D

McGinn is in the same boat as Luiz for me, if we get a good offer sell him.  He's also similar to Luiz in that he'll probably look a lot better in a better team with a different system and better players around him, and we'll look like mugs for selling him.

Just now, Mic09 said:

I'd take £40m and I rate him. But I feel we could improve. 

tbf I've lost all track of what a "good offer" these days is, assessing value is impossible in the age of financial doping / obscenity. 

Â