John McGinn

PompeyVillan

The way I look at it is: what's the ideal midfield I want to see long term? I want to see a new number 6, and JJ and Chukwuemeka. With Sanson, Luiz, Nakamba, McGinn and other kids pushing hard for a place.

McGinn. Great character and I want to keep him around. Does he take us to the next level as a regular starter? Is he consistent enough? Not for me, no.

But I stress, I don't want to sell him. We don't need to either.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, as ever, signing a proper/quality DM is the solution to every problem! 😁

McGinn would improve and be able to express himself more if we did so.

Ramsey too (who is really becoming an exceptional player).

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Oh yeah, as ever, signing a proper/quality DM is the solution to every problem! 😁

McGinn would improve and be able to express himself more if we did so.

Ramsey too (who is really becoming an exceptional player).

That would mean sacrificing a better player for mcginns sake. No matter if we sign a DM or an 8 Luiz shouldn't be the one getting dropped. 

26 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

That would mean sacrificing a better player for mcginns sake. No matter if we sign a DM or an 8 Luiz shouldn't be the one getting dropped. 

I didn’t state that McGinn should be an automatic starter… just that we shouldn’t be so eager to get rid and downplay how much of a contribution he can make…

I believe all of our midfielders would improve and thrive with a top class, dominant DM in the side…

I like Luiz too, he’s very talented and has a lot of potential imo. I’d like him to be a bit more determined, maybe even aggressive. He has come across as a bit casual or nonchalant this season… but I want to see the best of him in a Villa shirt. Some long range curlers would be lovely to see again too 😁

Also, I refuse to ignore how good he was during lockdown and the role he played in keeping us in the league. I’m a fan.

I’d be disappointed if we sold Doug or he left, at the end of his contract, I’m sure we would regret it and he will become an exceptional player. I hope that happens here, needs a new deal.

I don’t dislike  McGinn though. He’s been a huge part of our success as a club and I’ve already gone over his strengths and weaknesses. He’s a positive personality at the club and, again, would be sorely missed. As fans, we’re also unaware of what goes on away from the pitch and how certain players contribute to team spirit and unity. It’s an important part of being a successful club…

People won’t like it, but if we had to sacrifice or sell a midfielder… I’d pick Nakamba. Despite the form he showed, I still regard him as a limited player and he’s one of our older players too. We have an opportunity to get a major upgrade with more strengths/attributes to his game. Just my POV.

But I’d be happy for him to stay and be backup too. Unless one of our youngsters can take on that role. We lack DMs or 6’s in general… 

I like Sanson too and want to see him do well here, needs to catch a break and get minutes..

Also again, I expect McGinn to improve or at least be back to his best. 

Competition and rotation is healthy and required imo too. I don’t want us to be in a situation where we end up with a threadbare squad and players are too comfortable…

Btw, I’ve noticed that some of your recent posts have been quite aggressive. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion but we should respect each other’s rather than shout people down, it’s ok if people disagree. That’s my advice anyway.

You also seem to dislike McGinn rather than just assess his quality as a player.

Relax 👍 I’ve enjoyed some of your posts in the past.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

A fit and firing McGinn would be one of the first names on the team sheet for me. He was excellent in Gerrard's first handful of games, which seems to have been forgotten already, then he gets Covid again, has a stinker against Brentford as a result and suddenly people are questioning whether he's good enough?

He is. And, fortunately, I'm pretty certain Gerrard agrees with me.

I get the feeling with better players around him his game will improve. He does suffer like the entire squad with inconsistency, but he is the most consistent of the bunch. He has a James Milner at Liverpool feel to him. Where I think he'll be here for a long time and will always be useful on and off the pitch. I do feel his position is one that Chukwuemeka is probably best suited to as a box to box midfielder. Chuk needs a top class no6 to play beside though to allow that extra freedom. I think McGinn will have a bit more freedom to get forward if we sign one too and he'll get more goals.

As for this potential interest from United. We saw it in summer with Liverpool and United. If he was signed by either of them you can guarantee it is an amazing deal for Villa as we'd want a significant fee for a player with 3 years left on his deal. £50mil would be what they'd need to pay

Two seasons ago I wondered if SJM was good enough for the Prem. I think the game on Saturday shows how much we miss him when he is out. He is not just a good premier league player he is a top premier league player. Not only that but I think his work ethic is key to the way that SG wants to play and our identity. Man Utd can dream on, they ain't having him.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

As for this potential interest from United. We saw it in summer with Liverpool and United. If he was signed by either of them you can guarantee it is an amazing deal for Villa as we'd want a significant fee for a player with 3 years left on his deal. £50mil would be what they'd need to pay

He has 2 years left I believe. Wouldn't be surprised if both McGinn and Doug left in the summer and we have to start all over again.

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If United had to choose between Rice and McGinn you would think they would go for Rice.

McGinn is more of a meat and potatoes player.

West Ham want a Grealish type of transfer number for Rice who is really not worth that fee. 

They want Bellingham who is the sensible choice and better value than both

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

West Ham want a Grealish type of transfer number for Rice who is really not worth that fee. 

They want Bellingham who is the sensible choice and better value than both

I would say he is.  He has just turned 23 and he is their most important player and a England International.

For United or one of the other scum 6 it would be a perfect example of neutering a possible threat in a up and coming side trying to break into their cartel.

Remember this is a club that paid £80 million for Harry Maguire.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Â