John McGinn

PompeyVillan

8 minutes ago, Dale said:

I love SJM but if we're talking £50M+ we'd be silly to dismiss it... At that price he's replaceable with players at the same level with change. 

Also worth noting from a FFP perspective that it would be hugely beneficial for us as it would be a huge profit margin. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

For United or one of the other scum 6 it would be a perfect example of neutering a possible threat in a up and coming side trying to break into their cartel.

The top 6 do not try to keep each other in the top 6. It would be in any of the club's interest for another club to get into the top 6 and push a more established side out of the top 6 as it would make CL qualification a little easier. Most PL clubs, and Villa is a prime example, want to improve their position in the league. 

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo

1 hour ago, Wurzel said:

Two seasons ago I wondered if SJM was good enough for the Prem. I think the game on Saturday shows how much we miss him when he is out. He is not just a good premier league player he is a top premier league player. Not only that but I think his work ethic is key to the way that SG wants to play and our identity. Man Utd can dream on, they ain't having him.

A top Premier League player? Might be a bit of fondness colouring that view but nothing wrong with that. And yeah, I wouldn't sell Man Utd an old boot.

2 hours ago, MentalM said:

Whoscored, fbref, understat and mob

We didnt miss him? How come so many of their attacks came through our right side?

No, we didn't miss him IMO.

He's an average player who has memorable moments and a very strong, likable personality which seems to cloud judgement of him, again IMO. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

A top Premier League player? Might be a bit of fondness colouring that view but nothing wrong with that. And yeah, I wouldn't sell Man Utd an old boot.

Maybe, although I'm not prone to sentimentality where players are concerned. I think his work rate is terrific, I suppose to be regarded as "top" he would need to be more consistent with his performances. Anyway he is better than anything Utd has so I can see the attraction.

18 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I would say he is.  He has just turned 23 and he is their most important player and a England International.

For United or one of the other scum 6 it would be a perfect example of neutering a possible threat in a up and coming side trying to break into their cartel.

Remember this is a club that paid £80 million for Harry Maguire.

I think for a 100 million centre midfielder I would be expecting more attacking play

5 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Maybe, although I'm not prone to sentimentality where players are concerned. I think his work rate is terrific, I suppose to be regarded as "top" he would need to be more consistent with his performances. Anyway he is better than anything Utd has so I can see the attraction.

But it isn't, though, it's very average. 

31 minutes ago, lexicon said:

No, we didn't miss him IMO.

He's an average player who has memorable moments and a very strong, likable personality which seems to cloud judgement of him, again IMO. 

I disagree.

16 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Which is fine, but I just don't see what you're seeing and the numbers aren't there to make a case for it either. 

i.e. Whoscored has McGinn of a rating of 7.14, or next player is Luiz on 6.91.

I would say numbers do back it up.

Wow, there are times when I think VT can't get any stranger then it takes a whole new leap.

John McGinn not actually all that good and should be sold, and at quite low figures as well.

Thank God Steve Gerrard is in charge and not some of you lot.

Just now, sidcow said:

Wow, there are times when I think VT can't get any stranger then it takes a whole new leap.

John McGinn not actually all that good and should be sold, and at quite low figures as well.

Thank God Steve Gerrard is in charge and not some of you lot.

We have this now and then. I find it quite amazing too. 

He is one of those players that if he played for another club everyone would want us to sign him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We have this now and then. I find it quite amazing too. 

He is one of those players that if he played for another club everyone would want us to sign him. 

It makes you realise how quickly we would become just like Citeh if we had some proper success. Would be people dropping into threads with comments about eg Salah not being up to it and should be sold to Barcelona if they want him, worth the £50m hit etc 

• Like 2

Not sure if anyone has noticed (sarcasm) but the traditional top 4 stay at the top by consistently purchasing the better players from the clubs below them and keeping said clubs right where they want them. That was why Jack going was so utterly numbing and I swear it was as much about improving Citeh as it was keeping us pegged back. Selling SJM at this juncture in NSWE's trajectory for Villa, is neither logical or desirable, or even likely.

• Like 2

Â