John McGinn

PompeyVillan

7 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Im just pleased we got the likes of McGinn, Konsa, Mings all tied down to new deals. Finally we have forward thinking men behind the scenes. If anyone comes in for him, we call the shots. 

Well there is an element of FFP involved too. By signing Mings and Konsa to new deals we get to spread their remaining amortisation over the length of the new contract. Even though they got pay increases it ends up a net positive to our year on year accounts.

I do agree it's great they are signed. Martinez has to be next to get an extension hopefully this summer

I hope if he is sold it because we have a plan. I don’t think we could turn down £55m+. I don’t fully share the seeming majority view here however, I think he is very overrated despite being better this season, but nowhere near Championship McGinn. I think we can do better, but hope we don’t sell. I just don’t like being a selling club, we are trying to build a squad, we need strength in depth.

7 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I hope if he is sold it because we have a plan. I don’t think we could turn down £55m+. I don’t fully share the seeming majority view here however, I think he is very overrated despite being better this season, but nowhere near Championship McGinn. I think we can do better, but hope we don’t sell. I just don’t like being a selling club, we are trying to build a squad, we need strength in depth.

Its the hidden strengths of McGinn that make him worth £50 mill to us. As Gerrard said. His personality and character stand out in the dressing room. He is the glue that keeps everyone together.  But every player has a price. It would have to be a bid that took into account his importance at the training ground as well as on the pitch. 

• Like 1

If United did bid well above his value to us in summer we probably should sell as we'd book all profit from the sale. If we've got a Bissouma in and Luiz stayed we'd have plenty for midfield. Carney is the long term successor to McGinn for me. 

Every players has a price. 

Maybe one thing that’s getting overlooked is how and how much our existing players will improve by playing alongside a better standard of player… they can focus on their roles instead of trying to cover more than one area/aspect too. Competition is healthy but playing with greater quality is a huge help and can advance individuals’ game…

• Like 1

On 19/01/2022 at 21:17, MWARLEY2 said:

Its the hidden strengths of McGinn that make him worth £50 mill to us. As Gerrard said. His personality and character stand out in the dressing room. He is the glue that keeps everyone together.  But every player has a price. It would have to be a bid that took into account his importance at the training ground as well as on the pitch. 

I agree. Players like McGinn, his personality, his desire, adds about 5 million to the value of every other player in that dressing room. 

On 20/01/2022 at 10:24, CVByrne said:

If United did bid well above his value to us in summer we probably should sell as we'd book all profit from the sale. If we've got a Bissouma in and Luiz stayed we'd have plenty for midfield. Carney is the long term successor to McGinn for me. 

Every players has a price. 

It's not ;like the old days chap. Unless there is a release clause, we are not a selling club. It's no good building something, to slowly disassemble it every season. We need to keep our best players if we want to move on, even if it's just to build a strong bench, that's going to lead to success.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It's not ;like the old days chap. Unless there is a release clause, we are not a selling club. It's no good building something, to slowly disassemble it every season. We need to keep our best players if we want to move on, even if it's just to build a strong bench, that's going to lead to success.

True, but if we want to use the money to improve the squad we could. If we are offered too much for him we would accept. Everyone has their price. 

Selling McGinn in order that we may then improve the squad is a fruitless exercise IMHO, why decrease the squad's quality by selling in the first place? I reckon there'll be a new contract announced very soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Future Captain?

For all his faults, he is a huge part of our club and an incredible midfielder at his best.

As I said previously, hopefully having better players around him will allow him more consistency.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

Â