John McGinn

PompeyVillan

47 minutes ago, tinker said:

It was jack's profile they wanted , he was attracting to much attention to us as a club. It would have started to attract new fans as he grew as a player. The media profile of a club is very important, we have replaced Jack with Courtinho on that front, it's not quite as good for our media profile but it may work out better on the pitch. 

Coutinho is a FAR bigger media story outside of Birmingham.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yeah, this really is a high class problem discussion. It is only a very short time ago that we were getting the likes of Grabban on loan and signing Gestede and Taylor. We are now in the land of Emi 1, Emi 2, Coutinho, Bailey, Ings, Buendia and Digne. If we keep this trajectory then we absolutely will become top 4 in the next 5 to 10 years

Damn that dbl post nonsense. I want a refund.

Edited by Phil Silvers

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yeah, this really is a high class problem discussion. It is only a very short time ago that we were getting the likes of Grabban on loan and signing Gestede and Taylor. We are now in the land of Emi 1, Emi 2, Coutinho, Bailey, Ings, Buendia and Digne. If we keep this trajectory then we absolutely will become top 4 in the next 5 to 10 years

The big problem is that those above us will not stand still. Possibly they should be handicapped to help level the sport up, but the pie is only so big, getting our piece weakens a big company that will not be able to take the year on year hits of losing their percentage of the pie.

Best end it here, who'd have thought a little old 2m lunatic from north of the border would generate such talk.

7 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

The big problem is that those above us will not stand still. Possibly they should be handicapped to help level the sport up, but the pie is only so big, getting our piece weakens a big company that will not be able to take the year on year hits of losing their percentage of the pie.

Best end it here, who'd have thought a little old 2m lunatic from north of the border would generate such talk.

Bruce will have that highlighted on his CV when he applies for the Everton job :)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

I don't think many people are saying that to be fair. I think it's more a case that our squad is getting stronger and it's right to consider who might miss out on starting places - including McGinn.

Personally, I think it's far more bizarre to see people suggest JJ is dropped but there you go.

I'd be dropping Luiz before I dropped McGinn or Ramsey and it's not even close in my mind.

Football opinions, eh? :D 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'd be dropping Luiz before I dropped McGinn or Ramsey and it's not even close in my mind.

Football opinions, eh? :D 

Opinions are like arseholes. And anybody wanting to drop JJ is talking out of their opinion. ;)

• Like 1

McGinn has often been immune to criticism by many despite often going missing for huge chunks of games. That's happened under both Smith and Gerrard. It may happen less if we have a new quality DCM, who knows, but McGinn is far from being better than any of our starting midfield, he's just much more likeable and endearing. I absolutely love the guy and when he's in a game we are a much better team for it. Likewise, when we're playing well McGinn ups his game. If we're offered silly money for McGinn (circa £50m) then we should take that, and I think we will. His best quality is his endeavour as well as his arse and how he uses it. He can spray a pass and has quite good vision, but he is far from irreplaceable. 

I'd want to keep him and no way will we be selling him this window but if we want to progress to become a team challenging for Europe consistently we may need a higher grade player who is consistent throughout the whole game. That (the latter) goes for all our midfield. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, roonst83 said:

McGinn has often been immune to criticism by many despite often going missing for huge chunks of games. That's happened under both Smith and Gerrard. It may happen less if we have a new quality DCM, who knows, but McGinn is far from being better than any of our starting midfield, he's just much more likeable and endearing. I absolutely love the guy and when he's in a game we are a much better team for it. Likewise, when we're playing well McGinn ups his game. If we're offered silly money for McGinn (circa £50m) then we should take that, and I think we will. His best quality is his endeavour as well as his arse and how he uses it. He can spray a pass and has quite good vision, but he is far from irreplaceable. 

I'd want to keep him and no way will we be selling him this window but if we want to progress to become a team challenging for Europe consistently we may need a higher grade player who is consistent throughout the whole game. That (the latter) goes for all our midfield. 

As a few of us have said, like him, loathe him, rate him, don't rate him, apart from Emi1, no one has enough In the bank quality wise game after game to warrant shedding a tear over. SJM is one of the most likeable characters I've seen here for some time but if there is better and getable, then let's bloody get em.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, vazquez said:

If we would have 6 McGinns in the team then everyone would hate to play against us. 

apart from that week they are all suspended at the same time for accumulating bookings :) 

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Top 4 fall though, make mistakes, spunk huge sums of money on the wrong players. 

It was inconceivable for many years to ever think Arsenal or Man Utd would not qualify for top 4. Seemed impossible for them to fail. 

I wouldn't out it past United to finish outside of top 6. Arsenal trying to get into top 6 for first time in 3 years.  These things were unthinkable. 

Liverpool have an ageing team. If Klopp decides to move on rather than rebuild they could make the wrong managerial appointment and get the rebuild wrong, similar to post Fergie United. 

It's difficult, really really difficult but there are nevertheless opportunities to come up on the outside. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

I can dig that Peter.

However, I would counter that with, we were on a seemingly upward trajectory under Deano at the point that citeh would have started to try and unsettle Jack. Other owners will be fully aware of what NWSE are about and their financial clout. Had Jack have stayed, we could/would have added Ings Bailey and Buendia anyway and would have become stronger then when they first looked at us and Jack (this is all hypothetical of course). Basically they knew we shouldn't have players of his calibre just incase. Under Dean they may have thought without Jack it falls apart, at did.

It's just a fantastical flip side to what might go on. With this much money in the game I'm sceptical that skullduggery does exist.

Cutting us down when as and when and buying all the best players prevents our progress.as we cannot spend that 100 on a Jack equivalent. 

Ps. Wft we ended up with better in the end, maybe NWSE's gloves are off, the scum better watch out.

Screenshot_20220115-194328_Twitter.thumb.jpg.6494e561c130369014347816594a2b6d.jpg

spacer.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

A bit basic, don't you think? How are those figures decided? 

I addressed all the individual stats on a previous page from fbref, which is a much more detailed site.

Does pretty good in NPG’s, xA and SCA’s.

Also decent stats for Progressive Passes and Receives as well as Dribbles Completed.

6 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

Does pretty good in NPG’s, xA and SCA’s.

Also decent stats for Progressive Passes and Receives as well as Dribbles Completed.

His stats aren't bad, sure, but they're not stand out within the squad or the best of our CMs IMO. 

I think Sanson is a far better option as things stand. 

4 hours ago, Jareth said:

Not sure if anyone has noticed (sarcasm) but the traditional top 4 stay at the top by consistently purchasing the better players from the clubs below them and keeping said clubs right where they want them. That was why Jack going was so utterly numbing and I swear it was as much about improving Citeh as it was keeping us pegged back. Selling SJM at this juncture in NSWE's trajectory for Villa, is neither logical or desirable, or even likely.

No different to us taking Konsa and Watkins from Brentford. If they still had them plus Benrhama they might be challenging for Europe?? However, like us with the sale of Jacky boy, without those sales they might also be struggling with ffp!

Welcome to the football pyramid - just be glad we are much closer to the top than the bottom and even more so now we have NSWE on board!

I think we are in a great position now where we don't need to sell but if we do it will be on our terms.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

It's a real interesting one, because I just don't understand the criticism of him, really.

Does he play at his very best every single game?  No.  Does any player?  No.  What he does is something that none of our other midfielders do - get the whole team up the pitch whilst offering a real tenacity at winning the ball back.  McGinn is the one constantly looking to run with the ball or spray passes forward or take on long range shots.  He's the only one constantly hassling opponents in the middle of the pitch.  Our other midfielders are completely passive by comparison (probably a bit harsh on Ramsey, who I think is a cracking player).

And if you don't want to do the eye test, take in these stats:
- He has scored more than anyone other than Watkins and Ings.
- Only Luiz and Buendia have assisted more than McGinn.
- He averages more key passes per game than anyone else in our squad.
- He averages more crosses per game than anyone else in our squad.
- He averages more tackles per game than anyone else in our squad.
- Only Traore and Sanson average more dribbles per game than McGinn.

For what it's worth, McGinn also averages more through balls than anyone else and more long balls than anyone other than our goalkeepers.

He's the most complete midfielder we have and, for me, is done a massive disservice by some of our fans - particularly when he's summarised as "using his arse well".  The guy is a very good midfielder.  Not world class, but certainly good enough for a team chasing European football in the Premier League.

And I think he will get better as more quality comes in around him - as it is doing currently. If he can play off Buendia, Coutinho, Digne, Bissouma/Zakaria🤞, then he will only get and look better!

Â