John McGinn

PompeyVillan

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Why do we care what he'd like to be earning? He's got 3 & 1/2 years left on his contract. He'll be nearly 31 when his contract expires and if we were to open talks about an extension it would be in 2 years time. 

Because players get miserable and grumpy when teammates they're much better than, and play much more than, are earning twice their salary.

McGinn is probably fine with it. No doubt in my mind that's his agent sticking that story in the papers. So he can go to Villa, John would love to stay, let's put another two years in his contract.

As a player, you'd have to sell selling for £50m would be a good deal. As a person, I'd be devastated to lose him from Aston Villa.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Paid 2 million for him. We can quite easily just keep him until his contract runs out when he’s nearly 31. Unless a Man U want to make a ludicrous offer.
If he runs it down, he will get a massive payday as his “last contract” and at 31 and we will have had his best years.

Either way we win.

We also need to make the club as profitable as possible. This gives us the ability to continue to invest in future transfer windows. Selling Jack for 100m helped us become profitable and enabled the purchases of Buendia, Bailey, Ings and Coutinho. Selling SJM for 50m would be great for our profitability and would give us nice financial leverage in the transfer window

5 hours ago, lexicon said:

They can also drag you down if they're simply not good enough as they're a weak link in the team.

McGinn, for me, is clearly one of the weakest members of the first team and is moving towards being a squad rotation option. I can't see a team putting in a bid that'd really tempt us as I don't think they'd see the value in it but I'd snatch someone's hand off at say 35m.

Lay off the hard stuff is the best advice I can give you here. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Because players get miserable and grumpy when teammates they're much better than, and play much more than, are earning twice their salary.

McGinn is probably fine with it. No doubt in my mind that's his agent sticking that story in the papers. So he can go to Villa, John would love to stay, let's put another two years in his contract.

As a player, you'd have to sell selling for £50m would be a good deal. As a person, I'd be devastated to lose him from Aston Villa.

We can't lose him though, he has a long contract. He can get upset that he's not earning as much as he'd like but he's not going to become disruptive because of that. We will get him a new contract in October 2023

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We can't lose him though, he has a long contract.

It's not 1990.

He can get upset that he's not earning as much as he'd like but he's not going to become disruptive because of that.

Is he not? OK, great to hear.

We will get him a new contract in October 2023

Ah right. That's that settled then.

Out of interest, where will finish this season and next season? And do we win the fa cup?

16 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It's not 1990.

Is he not? OK, great to hear.

Ah right. That's that settled then.

Out of interest, where will finish this season and next season? And do we win the fa cup?

We don't go offering new contracts to players when they've just signed a 5 year contract 13 months ago. 

What kind of joke club do you think we are. Handing out contracts whenever people want them?

11 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We don't go offering new contracts to players when they've just signed a 5 year contract 13 months ago. 

What kind of joke club do you think we are. Handing out contracts whenever people want them?

We did with Grealish

Ah right.

What? Who said that's going to happen?

Any FA cup news yet? I'd love to win it next season.

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Ah right.

What? Who said that's going to happen?

Any FA cup news yet? I'd love to win it next season.

You do seem to get agitated. I'll leave you be so. Differing opinions on a topic is all

Edited by CVByrne

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

You do seem to get agitated. I'll leave you be so. Differing opinions on a topic is all

My opinion is now the wage ceiling has jumped up a lot of players' agents will be looking for some of that cheese.

If you don't think that, no bother.

8 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Danny Van De Beek & say £10-£15mill for McGinn in the summer - deal or no deal? 

DVDB can’t get into a bang average a United midfield for a reason. He isn’t good enough for where we want to be!

Set him a goal of pushing us into Europe this year and then give him a new contract if we do. 

This window and the summer will see big expenditure on cb x 2 and a dmc. Also if Luiz doesn’t sign a new contract then we will have to sell him this summer and use that to reinvest in an upgraded number 8 to challenge McGinn and Ramsey with Sanson and the kids as back ups. 

No way in the world is McGinn going unless it’s an absolutely ridiculous bid. 

Â