John McGinn

PompeyVillan

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Not sure if anyone has noticed (sarcasm) but the traditional top 4 stay at the top by consistently purchasing the better players from the clubs below them and keeping said clubs right where they want them. That was why Jack going was so utterly numbing and I swear it was as much about improving Citeh as it was keeping us pegged back. Selling SJM at this juncture in NSWE's trajectory for Villa, is neither logical or desirable, or even likely.

I’d say more preventing one of the other 3 getting him than stopping us. As well as the quality of the player and his media profile obviously.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Not sure if anyone has noticed (sarcasm) but the traditional top 4 stay at the top by consistently purchasing the better players from the clubs below them and keeping said clubs right where they want them. That was why Jack going was so utterly numbing and I swear it was as much about improving Citeh as it was keeping us pegged back. Selling SJM at this juncture in NSWE's trajectory for Villa, is neither logical or desirable, or even likely.

A bit like us buying Buendia and Ings from clubs below us

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Citeh fans will claim this isn't the case and that whatever Villa do will not factor one iota into who they sign. We can never catch them some will say.

Citeh and the rest are smart, they will not wait until we're kicking the door down to weaken us, they will keep at it constantly so that we never get close enough to walk up the drive let alone start kicking the door down.

Pay stupid wages with no repercussions, sign all the bestter players and have huge squads (and still get games called off when it suits them) to prevent the up and comers from having any chance of upsetting the status quo.

• Like 2

It was jack's profile they wanted , he was attracting to much attention to us as a club. It would have started to attract new fans as he grew as a player. The media profile of a club is very important, we have replaced Jack with Courtinho on that front, it's not quite as good for our media profile but it may work out better on the pitch. 

4 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Citeh fans will claim this isn't the case and that whatever Villa do will not factor one iota into who they sign. We can never catch them some will say.

Citeh and the rest are smart, they will not wait until we're kicking the door down to weaken us, they will keep at it constantly so that we never get close enough to walk up the drive let alone start kicking the door down.

Pay stupid wages with no repercussions, sign all the bestter players and have huge squads (and still get games called off when it suits them) to prevent the up and comers from having any chance of upsetting the status quo.

There is an argument that buying Jack for 100m actually strengthens us rather than weakens us. It helps us massively with FFP as we have a huge profit to record and gives us greater leverage in the transfer market. Would we have Ings, Buendia, Bailey, Digne and Coutinho now if we hadn't sold Jack?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

A bit like us buying Buendia and Ings from clubs below us

I'd agree more fully but Citeh were the only club willing to slap down a £100m release clause, and achieved the funds through the sale of peripheral squad players - it was effortless and a brutal display of financial dominance. We had competition for Buendia and Ings.

1 minute ago, tinker said:

It was jack's profile they wanted , he was attracting to much attention to us as a club. It would have started to attract new fans as he grew as a player. The media profile of a club is very important, we have replaced Jack with Courtinho on that front, it's not quite as good for our media profile but it may work out better on the pitch. 

Countinho not as good for media profile as Jack? Are u serious?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

I'd agree more fully but Citeh were the only club willing to slap down a £100m release clause, and achieved the funds through the sale of peripheral squad players - it was effortless and a brutal display of financial dominance. We had competition for Buendia and Ings.

And the competition for Buendia and Ings could not match our financial dominance

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Countinho not as good for media profile as Jack? Are u serious?

Internationally Coutinho is better profile but I think City are trying to appeal to the next generation of supporters in this country.  I bet loads of kids now support City because they fell in love with him at the Euro’s. (Even though he hardly played).

55 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Wow, there are times when I think VT can't get any stranger then it takes a whole new leap.

John McGinn not actually all that good and should be sold, and at quite low figures as well.

Thank God Steve Gerrard is in charge and not some of you lot.

I don't think many people are saying that to be fair. I think it's more a case that our squad is getting stronger and it's right to consider who might miss out on starting places - including McGinn.

Personally, I think it's far more bizarre to see people suggest JJ is dropped but there you go.

10 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

There is an argument that buying Jack for 100m actually strengthens us rather than weakens us. It helps us massively with FFP as we have a huge profit to record and gives us greater leverage in the transfer market. Would we have Ings, Buendia, Bailey, Digne and Coutinho now if we hadn't sold Jack?

I can dig that Peter.

However, I would counter that with, we were on a seemingly upward trajectory under Deano at the point that citeh would have started to try and unsettle Jack. Other owners will be fully aware of what NWSE are about and their financial clout. Had Jack have stayed, we could/would have added Ings Bailey and Buendia anyway and would have become stronger then when they first looked at us and Jack (this is all hypothetical of course). Basically they knew we shouldn't have players of his calibre just incase. Under Dean they may have thought without Jack it falls apart, at did.

It's just a fantastical flip side to what might go on. With this much money in the game I'm sceptical that skullduggery does exist.

Cutting us down when as and when and buying all the best players prevents our progress.as we cannot spend that 100 on a Jack equivalent. 

Ps. Wft we ended up with better in the end, maybe NWSE's gloves are off, the scum better watch out.

Screenshot_20220115-194328_Twitter.thumb.jpg.6494e561c130369014347816594a2b6d.jpg

Was times in the United game where Digne was picking up great positions very high up on the left, for me Mcginn is gonna be picking him out the whole time with his typical diagonal balls over the top 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MentalM said:

i.e. Whoscored has McGinn of a rating of 7.14, or next player is Luiz on 6.91.

I would say numbers do back it up.

A bit basic, don't you think? How are those figures decided? 

I addressed all the individual stats on a previous page from fbref, which is a much more detailed site.

9 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Was times in the United game where Digne was picking up great positions very high up on the left, for me Mcginn is gonna be picking him out the whole time with his typical diagonal balls over the top 

SJM and his diagonal balls could make a huge difference. While we’re on the SJM thread can some please explain why Man U were apparently linked to him in the summer that we came back up. The price then was supposedly £50m. Now after more than 2 years of proving himself in the PL he has apparently dropped £10m in value? Could it be the press talking total bollocks, spherical or diaganol on Man U’s behalf? 

19 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I can dig that Peter.

However, I would counter that with, we were on a seemingly upward trajectory under Deano at the point that citeh would have started to try and unsettle Jack. Other owners will be fully aware of what NWSE are about and their financial clout. Had Jack have stayed, we could/would have added Ings Bailey and Buendia anyway and would have become stronger then when they first looked at us and Jack (this is all hypothetical of course). Basically they knew we shouldn't have players of his calibre just incase. Under Dean they may have thought without Jack it falls apart, at did.

It's just a fantastical flip side to what might go on. With this much money in the game I'm sceptical that skullduggery does exist.

Cutting us down when as and when and buying all the best players prevents our progress.as we cannot spend that 100 on a Jack equivalent. 

Ps. Wft we ended up with better in the end, maybe NWSE's gloves are off, the scum better watch out.

Screenshot_20220115-194328_Twitter.thumb.jpg.6494e561c130369014347816594a2b6d.jpg

Yeah, this really is a high class problem discussion. It is only a very short time ago that we were getting the likes of Grabban on loan and signing Gestede and Taylor. We are now in the land of Emi 1, Emi 2, Coutinho, Bailey, Ings, Buendia and Digne. If we keep this trajectory then we absolutely will become top 4 in the next 5 to 10 years

• Like 2

Â