John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Turns the ball over too much. 

There was a half time stat comparing him to Harrison Read. Something like:

McGinn attempted 8 passes, 60% success.

So doesn't try a lot of passes, but quite often gives it away when he does. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

He was my motm today for the simple fact he he tackled harried and actually kept the ball better than he has been recently.

Was Villas best player for 75 minutes but had to give Trez MOTM 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Was Villas best player for 75 minutes but had to give Trez MOTM 

he started so well, shades of him at his best, then slowly seemed to get dragged down to everyone else's level,

I think he looks better in an advanced role than a defensive one.

• Like 1

McGinn looks better as a more forward thinking player.

He's too lightweight to hold as defensive player.

Still gave the ball away too much but he was better. MOTM no way not for the amount of turnovers he gives the opposition. 

Certainly has to be attacking, he's not a players who has to hold himself back he's got to much of that pitbull in him who just goes and goes on the attack.

I'd play two CDM and have Mcginn on the attack in front maybe??

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

Certainly has to be attacking, he's not a players who has to hold himself back he's got to much of that pitbull in him who just goes and goes on the attack.

Maybe, he's better suited there.

Nakamba is the natural holding player.

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Maybe, he's better suited there.

Nakamba is the natural holding player.

If we did that though then we would most likely have to have Sanson on as a CDM also. Which brings something to mind with Sanson. When you watch the clips of him from his old club, Sanson always nicks the ball from his own box area. He always manages to go on some crazed goat like run all the way to opposition area and they are unable to catch him.

I don't think we are playing Sanson right, he has speed and he showed an instance or two of that speed today, he is truly fast and we need to start his run earlier with the players chasing him.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Thats what we did tody

11 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

In form, out of form. Fit, not fit. As a 6, 8 or 10 - McGinn is currently the best central midfielder at the club and should start every game. 

I swore I just read he needs replacing. It's so surreal on here at times.

You're of course 100 % correct. 

11 hours ago, Dave-R said:

If we did that though then we would most likely have to have Sanson on as a CDM also. Which brings something to mind with Sanson. When you watch the clips of him from his old club, Sanson always nicks the ball from his own box area. He always manages to go on some crazed goat like run all the way to opposition area and they are unable to catch him.

I don't think we are playing Sanson right, he has speed and he showed an instance or two of that speed today, he is truly fast and we need to start his run earlier with the players chasing him.

I'd like to see this too as I think Dougie's instincts are all wrong for the role recently for some reason, push Dougie (or maybe Ramsey) and SJM more forward and play Sanson and Marv behind with Sanson doing as you say. Worth a shot as we are really stuggling to control games right now.

OW

JG DL SJM

MN MS

The wingers are just not doing it so im all for this. 

Edited by Phil Silvers

OK he got an assist...

Apart from that's gave the ball away directly to an opponent five times in the first half, four of them were in the first 18 minutes.

Needs replaced, our midfield cost us today. We could not keep possession of the ball and the opposition easily play through us.

Still think our main signing in the summer needs to be the all-round midfielder.

McGinn is a squad player at best he's too slow for the PL.

Â