John McGinn

PompeyVillan

3 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Two in two game for Scotland... what’s the secret to getting McGinn on the score sheet for us, seems he does know where the back of the net is?!

Get us weekly fixtures against builders and plasterers maybe?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Rodders said:

again, played all 3 games. now we'll have to rest him v fulham. ridiculous. 

If those goals have given him a confidence boost then I don't really care (unless of course he picks up a fatigue injury!) 

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair play to Mcginn but you have to look at the opposition. You just never get that much time and space in the Premier League. Cracking goal against Austria though. 

Thats true.....but ,I have said many times, plays too deep for us.

13 hours ago, AV82 said:

Let's get the meatball back up front. Sanson and Douglas in behind.

Sanson, Luiz and McGinn are midfielders......Not CDM's

We are playing Luiz and McGinn out of position ......IMO

Hence a need to sign a dedicated one.

14 hours ago, PaulC said:

I bet the Scots wouldn't believe the criticism he get on here. Big player for them. 

They play him right, he plays the right position for them.

He fills in a gap for us.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

They play him right, he plays the right position for them.

He fills in a gap for us.

Yes agree, McGinn is an outstanding player and Smith is not using him right. He could be scoring 10 goals a season for us. Not sure Luiz and Mcginn compliment each other. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PaulC said:

I bet the Scots wouldn't believe the criticism he get on here. Big player for them. 

They would, it's often been said he is a player who gets caught in possession.

I heard this from a few around these parts when we signed him, some even said he'd struggle in the PL. When we got promoted I posed the same question here...

From my perspective they've been proven right.

We've had over a season and a half of McGinn in the PL, he's had half a dozen or so good games.

Yet he continues to flatter some. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Yes agree, McGinn is an outstanding player and Smith is not using him right. He could be scoring 10 goals a season for us. Not sure Luiz and Mcginn compliment each other. 

I totally agree.....but I am not criticising Smith either.

IMO he has little choice in his squad to anything else.....I think both of them are more natural, further forward.

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

They would, it's often been said he is a player who gets caught in possession.

I heard this from a few around these parts when we signed him, some even said he'd struggle in the PL. When we got promoted I posed the same question here...

From my perspective they've been proven right.

We've had over a season and a half of McGinn in the PL, he's had half a dozen or so good games.

Yet he continues to flatter some. 

I like John Mcginn, But I think he is a player who is better suited further forward...I don't see him in the holding 2.....I think he is played there, because we don't have the right player in the squad.

However, I agree with your observations too.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Sanson, Luiz and McGinn are midfielders......Not CDM's

We are playing Luiz and McGinn out of position ......IMO

Hence a need to sign a dedicated one.

I understand your point of view but equally that pairing of SJM and Luiz looked superb at the start of the season (Liverpool, Arsenal etc.) and SJM was looking a real threat as well - should have had that offside goal against Arsenal in the first minute and scored against Liverpool.

I think they can play together in that way, but accept that an out and out DCM might enable us to play slightly differently.  Maybe its horses for courses?

I really can't understand why Doggie and Meatball looked so good pre-Christmas and now look so poor for the last 10 or so games.  I don't think think this is just form??

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

I like John Mcginn, But I think he is a player who is better suited further forward...I don't see him in the holding 2.....I think he is played there, because we don't have the right player in the squad.

However, I agree with your observations too.

I think he sometimes does things at the wrong end of the pitch that don't work at the wrong end but can work really well in offensive phases.

He has looked superb at times - pre-injury last season he was better than Jack and being mooted for Man Utd at £50m.  He has looked great at times this season.

For me, he can play the role alongside Dougie but he needs a bit of coaching.  He also needs to get himself a bit leaner imho.  A good pre-season with Ollie Stevenson on fitness and the coaches on his games should hopefully see him come roaring back next season.

I think he can be a big player for us.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I understand your point of view but equally that pairing of SJM and Luiz looked superb at the start of the season (Liverpool, Arsenal etc.) and SJM was looking a real threat as well - should have had that offside goal against Arsenal in the first minute and scored against Liverpool.

I think they can play together in that way, but accept that an out and out DCM might enable us to play slightly differently.  Maybe its horses for courses?

I really can't understand why Doggie and Meatball looked so good pre-Christmas and now look so poor for the last 10 or so games.  I don't think think this is just form??

Not absolutely sure what it is.

Â