John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Brilliant today. He really hammered home our press. Liverpool were out worked today. Klopp looked concerned even before we scored our first. We could have had 2 before our goal. Mcginn was the reason. This is the standard now. 

Best game for us since promotion. Maybe ever. 

Lucky with the goal, but we need people to shoot from those positions.

Work rate alongside Luiz was amazing, and quite a lot of quality too - the ball for Grealish's second would've had people drooling if it was De Bruyne.

• Like 1

He was nothing short of magnificent. The complete midfield performance.
The chemistry with Barkley and Grealish is a sight to behold. He did not bomb on recklessely. He held his position in the middle of the park all night and let Barkley get forward, whilst all the time bullying the Liverpool midfield plays off the ball.

It's like a new signing. 

We honestly have the hallmarks of a great side. I absolutely love what Smith and co. are building. And then there is the investment in the youth side of things as well. It's all a bit much for me at the moment. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Best game for us since promotion. Maybe ever. 

Lucky with the goal, but we need people to shoot from those positions.

Work rate alongside Luiz was amazing, and quite a lot of quality too - the ball for Grealish's second would've had people drooling if it was De Bruyne.

Not sure it was all that lucky tbh. From the replay angle from his perspective he got one helluva hit on that ball and it looked like it was going to drive straight into the bottom left corner had Virgil not deflected it. Cracking volley from the volley-master himself!

• Like 1

So funny hearing the commentators trying to describe what McGinn did in the penalty area with his arse - they reffered to it as his hip, trying to frame him for a foul but then realising how ludicrous it is to foul someone with your hip. Truth is they just witnessed SJM arse magic. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stoobs said:

Totally agree. McGinn almost victim of his goalscoring success last season. Scored a few early for Villa, scored a few for Scotland and all of a sudden Smith and Steve Clarke were playing him as a second striker almost and his form dipped. Was playing with his back to goal often and was actually being man marked. I have been following John since his St.Mirren days and where he played last night, that is where he made his name. Picking up opposition clearances, cleaning up the scraps, taking ball from our defence, driving forward and releasing guys like Grealish and Barkley who have the real guile. I was screaming out last season for Smith to play him deeper and facing the game. Obviously the injury didn't help. So excited for Villa this season. If everyone stays fit, why can't the team stay top 6. Birmingham Bayern Munich. 

Agreed mate. 
It's clear to me that he needs to sit deeper and just use his energy and influence to drive the team forward from this position. He's good enough at Championship level to play wherever he wants but at this level, his game isn't suited to being a no.10. 

We don't need goals from McGinn whereas we may have before. If he is disciplined and told not to recklessely bomb forward, there aren't many players in the Premier League I'd rather have in midfield than him. He's a superb player - just needs to be managed correctly. 

• Like 1

Â