John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agree that these are the three that need to go. 

Kamara, Luiz, Dendonker, Ramsey and Tim (unless he goes out on loan again) should be enough. We'd probably be looking to add one more in there as well in either window so we need to make room. 

We definitely need to sign a winger or two in the next couple of window as well. 

I was thinking maybe move again for Sarr if the new manager wants him?

McGinn will have 2 years left on contract this summer. I think we will see if he recaptures his form but he might want to move on for a fresh challenge

In my book, every player in the squad gets a fresh start now that SG has moved on. That includes McGinn. That doesn't mean that I would start him--absolutely not, he doesn't deserve it based on the start to the year--but if he gets some substitution minutes and proves himself again, great.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

I'm not sure what role he was being asked to play when he came on.

He was a swap for Dendonker (IIRC) - but the double pivot is not a role McGinn knows how to play. He looked a little lost.

What role does he know how to play? Because he certainly can't play as an 8.

2 hours ago, TomC said:

In my book, every player in the squad gets a fresh start now that SG has moved on. That includes McGinn. That doesn't mean that I would start him--absolutely not, he doesn't deserve it based on the start to the year--but if he gets some substitution minutes and proves himself again, great.

I would agree if McGinn was only performing this poorly under Gerrard. But he's been consistently this poor since his return from injury. He had a bit of a purple patch at the start of the 20/21 season but ever since then has been utter dog wank. 

12 minutes ago, thunderball said:

The writing is on the wall for John. Great buy, but we need better. I just dont see him in any top 8 side?

A top 8 squad?

I do in the right role and set up, the £50m link to utd was obviously daft for that price but because their midfielders are miles better than him, West ham probably leicester too

He's got a few years left at villa yet as a squad player unless he isn't happy with that, would still like us to at least try him in his Scotland role

I think this is the start of McGinn being moved to a squad player.

He was Smith's favorite and Gerrard arrived from Scottish football so his favoritism towards him probably came from there.

Unai will have no biased feelings towards him and he will see what we all can see every week. That he shouldn't be a starter.

Don't confuse what I'm saying though. Still love the guy but he should be a squad player.

Edited by Pinebro

Time to go… every player has a shelf life… yes, he could improve but… he’s so poor on a technical level. Has looked like a complete and utter clogger this season and we have better players and can buy better players… maybe he has held us back too much and for too long… has always been overly favoured and overrated…

We need players with skill, coordination, control, composure and superb passing ability if we eventually, sooner rather than later, want to make strides and compete for Europe… does John have any of that? He certainly hasn’t shown it lately… slow, clumsy and awkward seem to be his most common traits…

On 25/10/2022 at 07:46, tinker said:

I

Playing in a team that has no movement is a major factor that hasn't helped any of our creative talent, an area Emery (and Danks fwiw) will improve. 

McGinn is literally the one who doesn't move. He might rattle someone now and again but he has 3 traits when it comes to passing and moving.

Pass the ball sideways and then stand still not showing or advancing or dropping back in to receive.

Show for the ball off the defence but be super static and square. Basically not wanting the ball.

Receive the ball with space to drive and kill it dead right under your feet and ping it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

McGinn is literally the one who doesn't move. He might rattle someone now and again but he has 3 traits when it comes to passing and moving.

Pass the ball sideways and then stand still not showing or advancing or dropping back in to receive.

Show for the ball off the defence but be super static and square. Basically not wanting the ball.

Receive the ball with space to drive and kill it dead right under your feet and ping it.

He's been as guilty as most but we need to give him a chance with some decent coaching.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, tinker said:

He's been as guilty as most but we need to give him a chance with some decent coaching.

I'm inclined to agree with this. For all we know Gerrard could've told McGinn to hold his position.

I don't know the dynamics of our dressing room, but I feel McGinn and his jokey character doesn't really lend itself to a leadership role, I see him more as more of a soldier, somebody you'd want in the rank and file, good for moral, works his socks off, never gives up.

It was a poor decision by Gerrard to give him the armband and it has left McGinn perceived from the outside at least to have been Gerrard's golden boy. I don't know if he wanted the captaincy or if he felt it was too big a thing to turn down or what, but his game was suffering long before it and dropped off a cliff after it, he really didn't need that extra attention. I think the whole thing probably has changed the dressing room dynamic somewhat, and it may take a little time for it to settle back down.

Like many under Gerrard I don't think the role he was given really suited his strengths, you see his role for Scotland and it's obvious he's better further forward, harrying in a press, winning the ball higher up the pitch, none of this appeared to be his remit under Gerrard. 

I think Emery will find some qualities there that he can use, I think there's a few different roles he could possibly play against certain types of opposition, though he'll likely be spending a bit more time on the bench and in truth that may help him to build a bit of confidence again.

I don't know if we'll see the best of McGinn again and he may feel it's time to move on, but I think Emery is capable of getting whatever McGinn still has left to offer, the rest is up to him really.

Â