John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I do think Unai will find a way for McGinn to play in certain games. John might just surprise us one more time.

But that might just be wishful thinking that he at least gets in a few good games before sold so we recapture some of the good stuff he had in the championship. Even if it's against other sides in the bottom 6 - there's a player somewhere in there.

I'm prepared to give SJM more time. Yes, he's not playing well and hasn't done so for a while but, he's been played out of position for quite some time and it has obviously affected his game. 

Hopefully, Emery will play him in a more suitable role and we get our old SJM back. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

he's kept the armband

For now but won't be for long. He isnt a leader, he might have banter and a laugh with everyone but he doesnt organise anything

Emery said, he doesnt know the squad well enough to change anything, wants to see what theyre like in the dressing room and pitch before making a decision. It's as if he knows what he is doing. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

he's kept the armband

sensible decision. No need for Unai to rush into making a decision on this after only being around the squad for two days. Maybe there will be a change with the WC break coming up, but it would just be another major distraction if he had changed it at this minute. 

6 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

sensible decision. No need for Unai to rush into making a decision on this after only being around the squad for two days. Maybe there will be a change with the WC break coming up, but it would just be another major distraction if he had changed it at this minute. 

Exactly. Emery didn’t say McGinn is my captain, he said it’s too early to makes decisions so there we be no changes for now. 

Very sensible approach. 

1 minute ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I'd expect a big half hour from McGinn to help us through this. The reckless way Taylor is reffing would suit his physical style.

Agreed - John will almost certainly come in for either Dendocker or Buendia. They were both huffing coming off - having to cover a lot of ground. 

Not intending a pile-on, just an observation, but McGinn hasn’t shown me anything in the last 3 seasons to suggest he has enough quality in this division? He looked woefully short of quality or ideas today, in albeit difficult conditions to make an impression when coming on as a sub, but I will say Kamara just looked a Rolls Royce without changing the game.  

If Emery can’t sort him out then I think he is finished.

Â