John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Have to give a big mention to him. Was absolutely great today. Seems to be playing a new role now and he is flourishing. 

Also looks fitter and lost some timber. The no ketchup is definitely benefiting him!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Was very poor today. Overplaying all over the gaffe! Misplacing passes! Diving in when he should stay on his feet. Had a mare!

Wouldn’t say he was horrible today but he didn’t contribute much and made a couple of annoying mistakes. Today’s game should have suited him you’d think, with lots of wrestling opportunities.

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Wouldn’t say he was horrible today but he didn’t contribute much and made a couple of annoying mistakes. Today’s game should have suited him you’d think, with lots of wrestling opportunities.

He gave the ball away so much, and got out wrestled by a much larger opposition midfield. I have two major gripes today. One is the way the whole defense and Mcginn always hacked the ball out even when they had the time and the space to play out. The decision making in that respect was attrocious. The second was constantly passing into congested areas, or back. When we needed to move it side to side with speed, we passed back. When we needed to pass the wide positions where players were in space, we tried to go through the congested middle. Mcginn was culpable (along with others) for doing this.

• Like 2

Never does well with 3 games in a week . Once in a while he needs to be dropped/ rested ..but Smith and now Gerrard deem him irreplaceable.  Still love him though

He seems so strong at times   and when i say strong i say pound for pound one of the strongest in the league, but when he gets jaded thats where he struggles. He tries to force passes rather than stroke them and when he comes up against good bigguns like he did today he can become very ineffective. 

Edited by MWARLEY2
  • Like 1

He looks knackered when we win he looks knackered when we lose he looks knackered when he's playing brilliant he looks knackered when he's playing rubbish he looks knackered 3 games in a week he looks knackered after a 2 week break.

I'm done trying to understand the reasons for his consistency. I don't think it's fitness anymore.

He was alright today.

Looks to me like a player who is a little to comfortable. We see some flashes of him in every game, but don't really see the work rate anymore that we expect from Mcginn. Defo needs a rest, maybe just use him as a sub for a couple of games.

He's a bit of an Alan Hutton to me. He's not that good, but he works hard, so the fans love him. I wasn't that convinced last season, I'm less convinced this season. He has 1 or 2 games in which he's atrocious for every game he's good. Comfortably the worst player in our first 11, for me. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Thought that McGinn had a decent first half and made some important interceptions/tackles. Overall though, I think we do need better long term. Soucek and Rice show what a transformative effect a decent midfield can have on a team.

Edited by Risso
  • Like 1

He wasn’t bad today, he was just..meh. He’s a mid table midfielder in that he gives you the occasional brilliant performance but he throws in a lot of average ones too. 

If we want to progress, I’m afraid him and Luiz need to be squad players. 

At fault for both goals but yeh he's amazing blah blah. 

Clearly didn't close down his man fast enough for the first goal and the second got sat down by Rice. 

we will never progress to where we want to be or even dream of being with such a poor poor midfield. 

I don't want to make him a scapegoat, I like him. I am happy with him being part of our squad. I just don't like how he is seen as undroppable, as for me he lacks quality on the ball, and tactical discipline off it so shouldn't have the status he has. 

I guess part of the problem is that they all are midtable players, so they are all lacking in some areas. I do favour Ramsey and Luiz, because technically they are good players and they are both young enough to push on and improve. I also feel Luiz has rarely been played in his best position and role.

For me the fact Mcginn is seen as a lynchpin when in my eyes he's as expendable as Sanson doesn't do him any favours. I would actually prefer to keep Sanson in many ways as I'd like to see what he is capable of with a run in the team, which we haven't been able to see as yet.

I don't see anything more than a somewhat reliable midtable central midfielder.

• Like 4

Â