Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

Empirical data. A large study, but with the standard survey science disclaimers. Of interest to you lot no less. 

"Conclusions

Non-meat eaters, especially vegans, had higher risks of either total or some site-specific fractures, particularly hip fractures. This is the first prospective study of diet group with both total and multiple specific fracture sites in vegetarians and vegans, and the findings suggest that bone health in vegans requires further research."

https://bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12916-020-01815-3

4 hours ago, villakram said:

Empirical data. A large study, but with the standard survey science disclaimers. Of interest to you lot no less. 

"Conclusions

Non-meat eaters, especially vegans, had higher risks of either total or some site-specific fractures, particularly hip fractures. This is the first prospective study of diet group with both total and multiple specific fracture sites in vegetarians and vegans, and the findings suggest that bone health in vegans requires further research."

https://bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12916-020-01815-3

Doesn't seem that conclusive from my (admittedly not that thorough) reading of it.

Seems a lot of it can be explained by Vegans and Vegetarians generally having a lower BMI than meat eaters due to the healthier diet and there is already an existing correlation between low BMI and higher risk of fractures (regardless of diet).

The rest seems to be hypothesising and further studies required. Interesting stuff though

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m going Vegan again, last year I did 50 days and got through after realising party rings and other biscuits were vegan. With a vow to never do it again. 

But here we are again, with impending lockdown I think it will be good to have something to plan and cook.

Couple with an aim of 60 days this time and some big goals related to losing weight, running pace and distances and general other things that will require discipline like less time on my phone.

Could be a horrendous 2 months but I’m currently looking forward to the challenge of all the things I have set myself.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

It's fine to eat animals. It's not fine to eat horses, because, I don't know, they're cute, I guess?

It's fine to race horses and thrash them with a whip. It's fine to shoot the horses to death when injured during said racing.

But sitting on the horse you've shot dead after it's been raced and thrashed with a whip is over the line. And it's vegans who are mental?

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Vegan kebab ‘meat’. Absolutely amazing, it’s the future. 

I've mentioned before in here but I absolutely cannot get enough of this stuff...

Vivera Veggie Shawarma Kebab | Waitrose & Partnersserved in this Deli Kitchen launch new Greek style flatbreads to revolutionise mealtimes | Deli  Kitchen

With salad, tzatziki and chilli to taste (lots)!

• Like 4

Another vote for the vivara shawarma. Excellent stuff.

In related news Quorn's Swedish style balls (fnar fnar) seem to have made a reappearance after being off the shelves for a couple of years. Much rejoicing in our house. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I've mentioned before in here but I absolutely cannot get enough of this stuff...

Vivera Veggie Shawarma Kebab | Waitrose & Partnersserved in this Deli Kitchen launch new Greek style flatbreads to revolutionise mealtimes | Deli  Kitchen

This sounds awesome. I've discovered a greek takeaway near me recently that do amazing Gyros with Halloumi. But I might try to make my own with this stuff

On 11/03/2021 at 16:49, Wainy316 said:

You inspired me, so I bought this exact combo some salad and pickle, to be served with lashings of sriracha and garlic mayo after a few beers tonight, can't wait!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Davkaus said:

You inspired me, so I bought this exact combo some salad and pickle, to be served with lashings of sriracha and garlic mayo after a few beers tonight, can't wait!

spacer.png

It's the cost of some of the more interesting meat replacements that puts me off, but as it becomes cheaper and more mainstream I can see my diet shifting.

I'd want 2 of those packs of shawarma though and suddenly it becomes a £10 home cooked wrap

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

On a similar note to the shawarma above, has anyone tried this chicken substitute?

The_Vegetarian_Butcher_What_The_Cluck160

It's my current favourite. It's the best chicken substitute I've had I think. The texture is better than any other one  I've tried. 
It's a while since I've tasted real chicken obviously, but to me this is pretty damn close. Either way it tastes lovely.

Fry it briefly in a bit of Nandos sauce and it's beautiful

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

On a similar note to the shawarma above, has anyone tried this chicken substitute?

It's my current favourite. It's the best chicken substitute I've had I think. The texture is better than any other one  I've tried. 
It's a while since I've tasted real chicken obviously, but to me this is pretty damn close. Either way it tastes lovely.

Looks a bit like the TLC fake chicken they use at Subway? 

My favourite is this:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/304795175 

IDShot_225x225.jpg

• Like 1

The Vivera Greek style kebab is where it's at (not that the plain Shawarma one isn't also terrific).  Harder to get hold of though.  There's a specific Vivera burger one (can't remember which, but it's the one that looks really pink) that is damn near the closest you could get to a burger without meat, both flavour and texture (which is where most faux burgers fall down for me) are spot-on.  Constantly on the lookout for that one as it's even harder to find.

Edited by GarethRDR

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using creamy oat milk in my coffee lately and I love it. It's sort of a neutral flavor that doesn't overwhelm the coffee like dairy sometimes can. If you drink fresh ground quality coffee, you should try it. It makes the coffee taste better.

• Like 2

On 02/04/2021 at 03:51, Stevo985 said:

Ooh, looks good. I stopped eating chicken last year and really miss it. I think this brand is available over here, I'm going to look for it.

• Like 1

Â