Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That's still the most ridiculous argument against vegetarianism/veganism going.

I don't know why so many people still push it.

Really stupid isn't it. It's not rocket science that someone people may have a particular diet for health or ethical reasons but still prefer the taste of meat to a massive chunk of unflavoured tofu.

Also, with the 'looking like' meat bollocks, it's not like any of these people would actually be able to identify a cut of meat on an animal. Is the counter-argument "if you love eating dead animals so much, why would you take the cuts off so it can't even be identified as a corpse?".

It makes me chuckle when you see comments like 'a REAL MAN should eat meet'. I mean, seriously, how insecure are some people in their masculinity. Maybe they actually want to **** animals and they're trying to prove they don't by posting pictures of hunting trophies etc on anything that mentions a non-meat diet.

p.s. tried the vegan sausage roll at Greggs for the first time the other day. Definitely better than the meat one (particularly texture), but I was slightly underwhelmed as it has been SO built up.

• Like 1

With how things are currently going I'd kinda prefer vegetarian meat substitutes to be made a little differently so it's easier to identify. So many burgers are looking so much like the real thing I always second guess eating them when I've ordered one from a restaurant.

Just colour them green or something 😂 - I'd feel more comfortable then. 

Though, as someone who's been a vegetarian my whole life, I'm absolutely loving all the alternatives that are being made. For so many years all the burgers I could eat were so meh, and they're so good now. Keep it coming!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

With how things are currently going I'd kinda prefer vegetarian meat substitutes to be made a little differently so it's easier to identify. So many burgers are looking so much like the real thing I always second guess eating them when I've ordered one from a restaurant.

Just colour them green or something 😂 - I'd feel more comfortable then. 

Though, as someone who's been a vegetarian my whole life, I'm absolutely loving all the alternatives that are being made. For so many years all the burgers I could eat were so meh, and they're so good now. Keep it coming!

Recently went vegan for health reasons and I'm surprised at how easy it's been. Even when I get those meat urges, there are still plenty of options. I can still walk into a Burger King and get a burger if I really wanted to.

• 3 months later...

https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/15/dominos-launches-two-vegan-pizzas-12854054/

Vegan pizza lovers brace yourselves – Domino’s is finally bringing a plant-based option to stores. With most other major chains now offering a vegan option, Domino’s has lagged behind. But from today, two vegan pizzas will be available in 46 stores across the UK and Ireland. They’ve spent a long time creating a vegan dough and cheese that match up to their non-vegan offerings.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/15/dominos-launches-two-vegan-pizzas-12854054/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

The two new flavours are vegan Margherita and vegan vegi supreme, with a rainbow of delicious and fresh vegetables, including mushrooms, sweetcorn, onions, green and red peppers and tomatoes. They did do a trial last year but decided the dough wasn’t up to scratch so they’ve been improving it since and the food innovation crew in Domino’s test kitchen think they’ve now cracked it. Aman Prasher, Domino’s Chief Vegan Dough Developer said: ‘Our vegan offering has been a while coming because we’re determined to make sure it’s full of our iconic Domino’s flavour. We might not be first but we’re always the best – no compromises. ‘Our dedicated pizza chefs are incredibly excited for our fans to try this new and improved latest dough as we believe we’ve nailed it.  ‘If they agree, and love it as much as we do, Domino’s will roll out nationwide. We’ve now busy working on some toppings and sides -so watch this space!’

They’ve spent a long time creating a vegan dough and cheese that match up to their non-vegan offerings.

Disgusting, overly salty overpriced greasy shite then?

Dominos, Papa Johns, Pizza Hut...I just can't decide which of them is more shit. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Disgusting, overly salty overpriced greasy shite then?

Dominos, Papa Johns, Pizza Hut...I just can't decide which of them is more shit. 

Each to their own.

I **** love Dominos, and Papa Johns. PJ's vegan offering is pretty damn good so if Dominos matches up I'll be loving life.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Each to their own.

I **** love Dominos, and Papa Johns. PJ's vegan offering is pretty damn good so if Dominos matches up I'll be loving life.

I'm just a pretentious bastard and make it from scratch

15 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm just a pretentious bastard and make it from scratch

I do that too. 

But sometimes you just gotta pay £20 for someone else to make it and bring it to your door 😂

• Haha 1

On 23/02/2020 at 23:25, Stevo985 said:

I just don't get why people don't understand that the reason a lot of vegetarians don't eat meat isn't because of the taste.

Meat tastes good. It's amazing. The problem is the dead animal part.

It's the same as having the same attitude to someone who drinks pepsi max. Why would you drink that fake pepsi when you can have proper full fat full sugar pepsi?
It's not because people don't like how pepsi tastes. It's because it contains shit loads of sugar. If you can have a drink that tastes the same (more or less) but without all that sugar then everyone's a winner.

This is why I'm vegetarian, and meat still smells good to me, no shame in saying it. 

However, when I eat meat I don't enjoy it. It no longer tastes as good as it smells, and I feel a little better about myself for not aiding in the disgusting way livestock is treated.

I'm not a perfect human being, not even close, so I don't judge what others do. I just do what feels right for me.

I hate extremist meat eaters and extremist vegans equally. What your diet consists of should be a personal choice.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/06/2020 at 00:00, Villan_of_oz said:

I hate extremist meat eaters and extremist vegans equally. What your diet consists of should be a personal choice.

While I share your feelings (as a vegan I don't pressure anybody into becomeing one as well), one could argue that a choice is only personal when there are no third parties involved, which do not consent to the matter in question. In short, an argument purely in favour of personal choice ought to consider the choice of the animal in question if they had the chance to have one, it's safe to say that animals would choose against their current treatment. 

I'm not really in disagreement with you, I just wouldn't present my argument this way :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WooJung said:

While I share your feelings (as a vegan I don't pressure anybody into becomeing one as well), one could argue that a choice is only personal when there are no third parties involved, which do not consent to the matter in question. In short, an argument purely in favour of personal choice ought to consider the choice of the animal in question if they had the chance to have one, it's safe to say that animals would choose against their current treatment. 

I'm not really in disagreement with you, I just wouldn't present my argument this way :)

It was a simplified statement, my point was people getting in my face from any angle or position can go do one 😊

The rest of my post clearly outlines my feelings.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

Agreed to meet with two friends this week as I’m leaving this island. We agreed on a pub, next time I check and they’ve changed it to a pub with a fish and meat menu only. I say “I’ll sit outside when you eat” and they say “oh we won’t eat then”

like, go **** yourselves. They are now calling me awkward because they changed the plans knowing full well I won’t eat meat and fish! 

• 2 months later...

What's wrong with what people?

Has there been a widespread campaign to make them vegan that I missed out on? Or have they just thought "Hmm, we can gain a wider range of customers, with minimal cost and no difference in the product?".

If it was a substantial change, I'd get it. I'm still pissed off about sugar coming out of Irn Bru. But who's thinking "Yum, fruit pastilles. Love me some gelatin". Apart from Alan Brazil. Who frankly, if people don't mind me body shaming, looks like he could do with eating fewer fruit pastilles anyway. 

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I bet they taste exactly the same. Always makes me laugh how angry people get about companies taking animal products out of the food

To be fair, percy pigs are no where near as moorish as they were before they removed glucose (or summat) from them 10 years ago. 

I'm not angry and upset, do whatever to your product.. But I'm disappointed :P 

Â