Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

22 minutes ago, robby b said:

I hadn't had a McD in years either but I tried this last month and I really liked it, I was impressed. I don't know if I'll have another one though because I'd been nearly boycotting McDonald's for about 20 years till a month ago (apart from a few coffees and a few small fries). Now I'm in two minds about what to do! :s Changing times.

I’ve also boycotted them but really intrigued to see what it may be like. 

• Like 1

On 01/11/2021 at 15:42, Stevo985 said:

Random one... has anyone had any experience of getting Acne from eating too much Soy?

I can't find any concrete evidence that it's linked.

However, recently, probably for the last month, I have had a massive breakout of acne. I haven't had spots for probably 20 years. But all of a sudden I'm like a teenager. Huge amounts of spots everywhere.

Anyway I've done loads of digging as to what may cause it, and the only thing I've come across with any sort of link is Soy.

I've been eating a lot of the below chicken substitute recently because it's so easy to chuck into a salad or with rice. But it's 80% soy protein. So I'm wondering if that could be it.

I'm going to cut it out for a couple of weeks and see what happens but wondered if anyone else had experienced it

7 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

This is my favourite chicken substitute to chuck into stir frys and stuff.

What the Cluck? | The Vegetarian Butcher

It’s my favourite too. But it was definitely the source of my massive acne breakout. Or rather the soy in it was. 

Cut it out completely and it’s pretty much cleared up. 

just one to be careful of

The plant kitchen stuff from Sainsburys is good. There’s a frozen item they do which is delicious. When I get home on Sunday I’ll write a list.

sorry it’s plant pioneers, kitchen is M&S.

I use this - https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/plant-pioneers/sainsburys-meat-free-chicken-pieces

Edited by avfcDJ

Honestly I find all that fake meat stuff messes with me in some way or another, since I’ve been vegetarian I pretty much stick to tofu/falafel and actual veg with my various staples, can be a bit boring at times but I’m not much of a foodie and just want fuel that doesn’t mess with me or cost the life of a conscious being.

It's very easy to make absolutely disgusting, soggy, flavourless tofu, I hated it for years. Pressed completely dry, covered in spices and panko breadcrumbs and fried on every side, with some katsu sauce or something? Banging. 

• Like 1

On 06/01/2022 at 12:03, hogso said:

On a side note, I can't believe they still don't do Gluten Free burgers basically anywhere at fast food places in the UK - yes I know you could just have no bun, but the almost complete exclusion of a GF bun basically anywhere is weird, especially when countries on the continent do them, and better than that, the buns are produced by Schar for Mc's.

Yeah my friend is a self-labelled "wheatard" and it's pretty sad that she can't get GF McDonalds here. Goes to Italy and lives the fast food drea, it's not like she can eat the pasta there anyway.. 

Edited by fightoffyour

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Tofu is ace done right.  Usually as part of a Korean stew in my experience.

Sundubu Jjigae is amazing:

Korean food photo: Haemul sundubu jjigae on Maangchi.com

Meat and or sea food optional but I would say the egg is mandatory.

In my 20s when I moved to London I shared a flat with two Korean couples for two years,  and now and then they shared their delicious Korean food with me. Kimchee is definitely one of my favourite foods in the whole world. 😋 I buy it as an occasional treat, as it's not cheap, from the big supermarkets. I guess fresh kimchee must be better though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robby b said:

In my 20s when I moved to London I shared a flat with two Korean couples for two years,  and now and then they shared their delicious Korean food with me. Kimchee is definitely one of my favourite foods in the whole world. 😋 I buy it as an occasional treat, as it's not cheap, from the big supermarkets. I guess fresh kimchee must be better though.

Yep, it's the bollocks and it's served for free as standard with pretty much every meal over there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Yep, it's the bollocks and it's served for free as standard with pretty much every meal over there.

Wow fantastic! 🇰🇷 I'd like to go there one day.

My housemates used to make it themselves about once a week and often offered me some. Lots of fresh kimchee for two years!  : >  And they taught me a few basic phrases including 'jae iriman Robin imeeda' (or something like that). 

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, robby b said:

Why not have a go at making it yourself? The process in itself is not particularily difficult, but as all kimchees I've tried obviously used a different recipe, the difficult bit is finding a recipe that comes close to what you really enjoyed. Disclaimer: I've never been to Korea, but I've tasted Korean food at a number of Korean restaurants in Europe, and bought ready-made imported kimchees in Asian stores. They all taste different. I guess it's like bacalao or anything traditional in a country: every family have their own recipe. Portugal doesn't do one singular version of bacalao. I've enjoyed experimenting.

I'd say that the important bit is to get hold of authentic Korean chili flakes/powder and not substitute it with plain chili powder.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TB said:

Why not have a go at making it yourself? The process in itself is not particularily difficult, but as all kimchees I've tried obviously used a different recipe, the difficult bit is finding a recipe that comes close to what you really enjoyed. Disclaimer: I've never been to Korea, but I've tasted Korean food at a number of Korean restaurants in Europe, and bought ready-made imported kimchees in Asian stores. They all taste different. I guess it's like bacalao or anything traditional in a country: every family have their own recipe. Portugal doesn't do one singular version of bacalao. I've enjoyed experimenting.

I'd say that the important bit is to get hold of authentic Korean chili flakes/powder and not substitute it with plain chili powder.

Yeah maybe I will have a go at making it myself, I never have before. From 2016 to 2017 I had fantastic kimchee about five times in a Korean restaurant in London, on the Strand. 🤩

17 hours ago, robby b said:

Yeah maybe I will have a go at making it myself, I never have before. From 2016 to 2017 I had fantastic kimchee about five times in a Korean restaurant in London, on the Strand. 🤩

The simplest kimchi you could make would be using gochujang paste, then you probably want to have at least garlic, ginger and spring onions too. Also the right variety of cabbage is helpful, otherwise you'll just have essentially spicy sauerkraut like I've just made now to use up some leftover (three quarters of a )white cabbage.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There is no necessity in having an avocado or in having bananas or pineapples or peppers. You could just eat potatoes and apples. It would be far less damaging to environment, they are a local product, and don't need to be transited thought the entire world to arrive in the UK. In fact, you could sell your car and your phone, and rent an allotment or use your garden to grow them. 

So it's a question of how far you push this. 

I eat meat, and I prefer to buy meat from a local source where I know that animal led a good life. Game meat such as venison is my favourite. Yeah I pay a bit more for it, but it tastes better and I have a clear(er) conscience.

Do I think a pig that comes in pork chops had a bad death? Sure. Do I think it would have been ripped by wolves if it lived in the wild? It probably would, no animal dies of old age - it usually gets eaten. It's a much more brutal way to die than being killed by a butcher. So maybe that pig shouldn't have lived at all? Maybe so, I don't know. If it's looked after properly, it certainly can enjoy a good life. 

Does my diet require a good source of protein? Yeah it does.

But I think it's a flawed outlook to reduce life to a minimum necessity. And I am sure (I'm guessing) you do not live your life that way and enjoy many 'evil' things. We all do.

But yeah, it's off topic, worth taking to the other thread. 

@Stevo985

I posted this in west ham - could you please let me know why you think it's disinformed and what you disagree with? 

It would be good to come to some sort of an understanding. 

8 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

@Stevo985

I posted this in west ham - could you please let me know why you think it's disinformed and what you disagree with? 

It would be good to come to some sort of an understanding. 

There is no necessity in having an avocado or in having bananas or pineapples or peppers. You could just eat potatoes and apples. It would be far less damaging to environment, they are a local product, and don't need to be transited thought the entire world to arrive in the UK. In fact, you could sell your car and your phone, and rent an allotment or use your garden to grow them. 

I agree. And we should do as much as possible to minimise our impact on the environment. I agree we all draw a line somewhere, but the mass slaughtering of animals just to benefit our taste buds is a very obvious place to start. The environmental argument is a much much harder one to tackle than the moral argument to be honest. The logic that other food is damaging to the environment as well so we may as well kill millions of animals so I can eat a big mac doesn't wash with me.

I eat meat, and I prefer to buy meat from a local source where I know that animal led a good life. Game meat such as venison is my favourite. Yeah I pay a bit more for it, but it tastes better and I have a clear(er) conscience.

Do I think a pig that comes in pork chops had a bad death? Sure. Do I think it would have been ripped by wolves if it lived in the wild? It probably would, no animal dies of old age - it usually gets eaten. It's a much more brutal way to die than being killed by a butcher. So maybe that pig shouldn't have lived at all? Maybe so, I don't know. If it's looked after properly, it certainly can enjoy a good life. 

What's a good life? Pigs and Cows can live up to 20 years. But pigs are slaughtered when they're a few months old. Cows usually before they're 2 years old. If humans were killed at a couple of years old would we be happy that they'd had a "good life".
And most of these animals don't have a good life. I used to think that way too. But how do I know? Do you check every restaurant you eat at? Every bit of produce you buy? Every jar of mayonnaise? Every plate of fish and chips?

It's impossible. And in my opinion all it does is maintain the demand for meat.

Yeah animals will die in the wild. But that's nature, we can't stop that. "Oh it would have dies in the wild anyway so let's gas it to death when it's 6 months old, boil it's corpse and then eat it". Nah not for me
And yes, that pig shouldn't have lived at all. Breeding a pig just to kill it at 6 months old is horrible. Even if it did have a good life, which it probably didn't. Again if we were breeding humans and killing them at 6 months old the justification that they had a good life woudln't wash. And most people would say it would be kinder to not live at all

Does my diet require a good source of protein? Yeah it does.

Are you really suggesting that you can't get protein from anywhere other than meat? Are vegetarians and vegans dropping dead from protein deficiency?
I eat 150g of protein a day, sometimes more. None of it comes from meat.

But I think it's a flawed outlook to reduce life to a minimum necessity. And I am sure (I'm guessing) you do not live your life that way and enjoy many 'evil' things. We all do.

I absolutely do. And I agree it's a very difficult topic to debate. I definitely enjoy "evil" things. Everyone does, you can't practically avoid them. But eating meat is such a luxury that it's a league above the other things you mentioned. In this day and age we need mobile phones. Ok not literally, but practically speaking you do. You need to take planes to travel. And humans NEED to eat something. 

Your arguments that growing and eating plants and vegetables etc is damaging to the environment is valid. But that's a necessity. If we didn't eat at least plants, we'd die. But we grow and use far far FAR more plants to feed livestock that we then eat, than we do if we just fed ourselves. The land used to feed livestock in north america alone could feed the entire planet. So even that argument is more evidence that eating meat is bad. Because you're right, gorwing and eating plants is damaging to the environment. But the best way to minimise that damage is to eat the plants ourselves.

• Like 4

Â