Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

54 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Ooh, looks good. I stopped eating chicken last year and really miss it. I think this brand is available over here, I'm going to look for it.

Go for it mate. I'm eating it regularly now. I usually chuck it on top of a salad. As long as you season it it's pretty close to the real thing. Obviously it'll never be bang on but as a substitute it's decent

56 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I've been using creamy oat milk in my coffee lately and I love it. It's sort of a neutral flavor that doesn't overwhelm the coffee like dairy sometimes can. If you drink fresh ground quality coffee, you should try it. It makes the coffee taste better.

Oat milk is definitely my favourite non-dairy milk. I really don't like sweet milk or sweet hot drinks, so things like coconut milk or sweetened oat milk really don't do it for me.

Oat milk like you said is very neutral, apart from a slight oaty taste (obviously)

But the oatiness means it's REALLY good in cereal. Better than normal milk to be honest

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Oat milk is definitely my favourite non-dairy milk. I really don't like sweet milk or sweet hot drinks, so things like coconut milk or sweetened oat milk really don't do it for me.

Oat milk like you said is very neutral, apart from a slight oaty taste (obviously)

But the oatiness means it's REALLY good in cereal. Better than normal milk to be honest

I pour it over bran flakes. Good stuff and much more sustainable than almond milk.

Interesting that throughout this pandemic, there's been relatively little attention paid to the origin of Covid, which is the animal flesh market. It's only a matter of time until this happens again. I wish people would view animal consumption as a rare delicacy like human beings used to. But now we eat steak and sausage and cheeseburgers 7 days a week. It's a big problem on many levels including the pesky ethics of it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, maqroll said:

I've been using creamy oat milk in my coffee lately and I love it. It's sort of a neutral flavor that doesn't overwhelm the coffee like dairy sometimes can. If you drink fresh ground quality coffee, you should try it. It makes the coffee taste better.

This is next on my list to try. I’ve had coconut milk, the long life stuff rather than the cans used for Thai curries. It’s pretty good, and I think it can be a viable alternative to cow’s milk but the one I’ve bought from Asda here contains an emulsifier called Carraggeenan, which may cause inflammation and damage the intestinal system. 

Does the oat milk separate when added to hot drinks?

6 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

This is next on my list to try. I’ve had coconut milk, the long life stuff rather than the cans used for Thai curries. It’s pretty good, and I think it can be a viable alternative to cow’s milk but the one I’ve bought from Asda here contains an emulsifier called Carraggeenan, which may cause inflammation and damage the intestinal system. 

Not in my experience. It gives you a darker drink, tea for example looks stronger with oatmilk, but it doesn't separate.

There's definitely a taste difference, but it's not unpleasant. And definitely the least different compared to other non dairy milks, in my experience

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Not in my experience. It gives you a darker drink, tea for example looks stronger with oatmilk, but it doesn't separate.

There's definitely a taste difference, but it's not unpleasant. And definitely the least different compared to other non dairy milks, in my experience

I’ll try that next then, cheers. 

I’m quite happy to compromise and learn to like it. After watching Cowspiracy recently it reminded me of just how much damage the dairy industry (and cattle) is doing to the planet. I already knew a lot of it, but it’s easy to forget when you’ve been conditioned for 40 years that cows milk can do no wrong.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Nope. 

• 2 months later...

so diet pepsi is apparently not vegan...wtf?

i knew a lot of beer/cider/wine wasn't but diet pepsi? weird....

Edited by tomav84

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

A lot of diet soft drinks aren't vegan. They use an ingredient derived from fish to stabilise colours.

yeah but weird that diet pepsi is not suitable but pepsi max is.

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

yeah but weird that diet pepsi is not suitable but pepsi max is.

Diet coke is vegan. 

Looks like Pepsi won't disclose what ingredient makes their diet version non vegan. 

• 3 months later...

Random one... has anyone had any experience of getting Acne from eating too much Soy?

I can't find any concrete evidence that it's linked.

However, recently, probably for the last month, I have had a massive breakout of acne. I haven't had spots for probably 20 years. But all of a sudden I'm like a teenager. Huge amounts of spots everywhere.

Anyway I've done loads of digging as to what may cause it, and the only thing I've come across with any sort of link is Soy.

I've been eating a lot of the below chicken substitute recently because it's so easy to chuck into a salad or with rice. But it's 80% soy protein. So I'm wondering if that could be it.

I'm going to cut it out for a couple of weeks and see what happens but wondered if anyone else had experienced it

On 02/04/2021 at 08:51, Stevo985 said:

On a similar note to the shawarma above, has anyone tried this chicken substitute?

The_Vegetarian_Butcher_What_The_Cluck160

Making a conscious effort to cut down on meat and dairy of late. Trying various vegan meat replacement, and I've switched to oat milk (which is delicious in coffee and porridge), and I can't tell any difference when it comes to yogurt. My biggest down fall is I do really love the taste of meat (insert Kenneth Williams here), and there really is no substitute unfortunately. I'm combating that at the moment just by cutting the quantity and frequency of eating it. I'm not sure I'll ever get in a position where I'll give it up full stop  but I'm trying. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Making a conscious effort to cut down on meat and dairy of late. Trying various vegan meat replacement, and I've switched to oat milk (which is delicious in coffee and porridge), and I can't tell any difference when it comes to yogurt. My biggest down fall is I do really love the taste of meat (insert Kenneth Williams here), and there really is no substitute unfortunately. I'm combating that at the moment just by cutting the quantity and frequency of eating it. I'm not sure I'll ever get in a position where I'll give it up full stop  but I'm trying. 

I’m a lapsed veggie, I think I went about 15 years without meat.

I’m also now cutting back down, I try not to have meat on two consecutive days and even when I do have meat, something like chicken in a recipe or mince, I’ll reduce the quantity by also using quoin or soy of some sort. So something like a meat chilli, or mince beef in a pie etc., I’ll use half the usual quantity and use some basic soy to bulk it up. That allows you to get the texture and all that, but cuts say 400g of meat down to 200g.

There are definitely a few things I prefer the veggie version. I wouldn’t have a meat burger now because I prefer the (Linda Mac) alternatives. There are quorn chicken bites in breadcrumbs, much much better than the ‘real’ thing.

We’re basically down to a small pack of mince and some chicken most weeks now, with the occasional blow out of sausages on the weekend. 3 meat evening meals, 4 veggie.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m a lapsed veggie, I think I went about 15 years without meat.

I’m also now cutting back down, I try not to have meat on two consecutive days and even when I do have meat, something like chicken in a recipe or mince, I’ll reduce the quantity by also using quoin or soy of some sort. So something like a meat chilli, or mince beef in a pie etc., I’ll use half the usual quantity and use some basic soy to bulk it up. That allows you to get the texture and all that, but cuts say 400g of meat down to 200g.

There are definitely a few things I prefer the veggie version. I wouldn’t have a meat burger now because I prefer the (Linda Mac) alternatives. There are quorn chicken bites in breadcrumbs, much much better than the ‘real’ thing.

We’re basically down to a small pack of mince and some chicken most weeks now, with the occasional blow out of sausages on the weekend. 3 meat evening meals, 4 veggie.

I think I've spent too much time listening to Roots Reggae, and now want eat Rasta Ital food. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Random one... has anyone had any experience of getting Acne from eating too much Soy?

I can't find any concrete evidence that it's linked.

However, recently, probably for the last month, I have had a massive breakout of acne. I haven't had spots for probably 20 years. But all of a sudden I'm like a teenager. Huge amounts of spots everywhere.

Anyway I've done loads of digging as to what may cause it, and the only thing I've come across with any sort of link is Soy.

I've been eating a lot of the below chicken substitute recently because it's so easy to chuck into a salad or with rice. But it's 80% soy protein. So I'm wondering if that could be it.

I'm going to cut it out for a couple of weeks and see what happens but wondered if anyone else had experienced it

Could it be stress related as well? 

5 hours ago, Xela said:

Could it be stress related as well? 

Possibly. I"ll be going to the doctor in a week or two if cutting out soy doesn't work.

It's driving me mad. I'm not talking one or two spots here and there. It's like a full on breakout. I'm 35, I shouldn't have acne :D 

• 2 months later...

The new McPlant burger from McDonald's is incredible. Ultimately it's still a McDonald's burger, but I've been waiting 34 years for them to release a half decent burger as all their previous veggie food sucked. McPlant did not disappoint. 

Â