18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Fulham didn't make it to the automatic spots.

10 points is 4 games leeds and norwich have to lose while we have to win 4. The gap is too big. It's not like we wont drop anymore points as well cause we will.

We should now focus on getting inside the top 6 and then take it from there.

We have 3 games against them still to play and they have to play each other plus Forest, Boro, WBA, Derby, blues etc

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

10 points is 4 games leeds and norwich have to lose while we have to win 4. The gap is too big. It's not like we wont drop anymore points as well cause we will.

All they had to do was beat SHA on the final day. It was in their hands.

We have 25 games for that to happen. 25 matchdays, and we only need them to slip up in 4 of them (and we take advantage of course). We can make it easier on ourselves, and 2 of those 4 can happen against us. 

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

All they had to do was beat SHA on the final day. It was in their hands.

We have 25 games for that to happen. 25 matchdays, and we only need them to slip up in 4 of them (and we take advantage of course). We can make it easier on ourselves, and 2 of those 4 can happen against us. 

Yea but it's not like we're gonna win every single game for the rest of the season, we will drop points as well like tonight where they can take advantage.

And i don't know about you but i'd rather be in the position in being potentially 10 points ahead. We're playing catchup at the moment and Leeds and Norwich know in the back of their hand that they can afford to lose a few games and still be fine, we can't, that's such an advantage to have.

And again this isn't Dean Smiths fault. Bruce failed to win against bottom teams 1st half of the season and i'm afraid it will cost us.

Edited by villalad21

I think many of us considered the Derby game up to and including Leeds was a really tough run of games for us. Of those 7 games we have so far played 5 and taken 11 points and could easily make an argument that we have deserved all 15.

Unfortunately for Smith we were always playing catch up and it was always going to take time to close the gap on the promotion places and so it is proving. As he himself as said though performances are all important and in terms of that so far under Smith I couldn't ask for any more. If we continue to play as we are, and I actually think the longer he has with the players the better we will get, then the results will keep on coming and we will climb the table.

It is going to take at least another couple of months for us to catch the top 2 but I am confident we will and once we do we will stay there. If not at worst we will make the play offs. Either way continue to play as we are and we will be promoted.

• Like 3

Tonight's result away at a team like West Brom was fine as far as promotion is concerned. The key to going up will be in consistently beating the teams in the bottom 10. Failure to do that (coupled with the routine rolling over away at top teams, which isn't happening now) is why we only made the play-offs last season.

6 hours ago, Mantis said:

Tonight's result away at a team like West Brom was fine as far as promotion is concerned. The key to going up will be in consistently beating the teams in the bottom 10. Failure to do that (coupled with the routine rolling over away at top teams, which isn't happening now) is why we only made the play-offs last season.

We've already played the bottom ten once this season and only won one of the games.

Unfortunately this means that we have to beat the top teams now for us to be anywhere near the top.

We surrendered\wrote off about 20-25% of our season in Bruce's last ten games.

I fancy us to beat anyone, home or away at the moment. How that lasts over the season only time will tell but we are improving and will get stronger. 

Automatics would be lovely, but likely too far given our poor start, however I fancy us to beat anyone in the playoffs.

Any other team could still kick on and find form however, we are only half way through

47 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

@BOF had a brilliant spreadsheet that showed league placing based on oppositions league placing. If only we could see this seasons equivalent. I think it would show how well we are currently doing.under Smith.

I don't get you. What was the sheet? If i had it before then I'll still have it for this season. I just need more info on what it was. Do you mean like a strength of schedule type table?

Still loads of games left and in the last few weeks we've been the best team in the league by a country mile. 

We'll strengthen in January and we'll go up. 

• Like 2

When you consider the points return under Smith against the teams we have played during his tenure, I simply don't see us dropping many points. 

I agree with @markavfc40 automatic promotion is very much possible, top 6 is guaranteed. And the way we are playing we would be favourites for those. 

Either way I think we're going up. 

Just now, Xela said:

Still loads of games left and in the last few weeks we've been the best team in the league by a country mile. 

We'll strengthen in January and we'll go up. 

The problem is we need Norwich and Leeds to drop alpt of points and we need to carry on winning. We have been on massive great form but we are not getting any closer. 

9 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I'm aware Fulham didn't finish top 2. They might have and the point was that they came from way behind anyway. They had momentum. They didnt win every game but still picked up points where vefore they didnt. Just like us.

Its not going to be easy and yes,  we need to convert these games like Forest and baggies into the wins they should have been if we're to do it.

But its still early in Smiths reign and theres a lot of football to play. We're not even close to being out of the race for automatic promotion. The bookies agree.

We'll see.

It’s annoying, before these past six games we were nine points off Leeds and Norwich and we’ll most likely be ten and eleven points off.

But before we get too down hearted, it’s worth considering that the opposition we’ve faced has overall been better. 

Villa - Bolton, Derby, sha, Forest, Boro, WBA. 

Leeds - Wigan, WBA, Bristol, Reading, Sheff Utd, today they face QPR.

Norwich - Sheff Wed, Millwall, Swansea, Hull, Rotherham today they face Bolton.

I’d say in that lot Villa have faced four promotion hopefuls, Leeds have faced two, Norwich zero. Villa have picked up 14 points, assuming wins for the other two, Leeds will have gained 15, Norwich 16.

Losing ground by a couple of points during this tricky run isn’t the end of the world. I think a lot of us would have been happy being a similar number of points away by the time January is here where we can bring in a few players and have more favourable fixtures.

Not giving up on automatics anytime soon.

• Like 3

I remember last season being gutted after a loss and thinking our season was over, not going to crack the top 6. Two weeks and two wins later we were back in it again,

This league changes so quickly, and the end of this month is going to be our big chance to get a string of wins on the board and drag ourselves up the table. Last nights draw is gutting, but a draw away to one of the best sides in the league is certainly not a bad result in the scheme of things.

A couple of dodgy results for clubs today and Saturday along with us beating Stoke and it will all seem a lot better again, trust me.

Keep the faith!