18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

55 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm being realistic. As a result of Steve Bruce mess up we are playing catch up and it's an awful position to be in.

Being realistic I think Villa are the one team that all Championship teams now fear, and definitely don't want to play!

Smith will take the next twenty six games one at a time, and I think us fans need to do the same.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

You may have missed the earlier comments. Myself and a few others are saying we should aim for the top 2, but a handful of people are saying thats overly ambitious and we should be aiming for playoffs. We have been debating this over the last few pages.

So the reason I mentioned we are only 4 points of 3rd is to show how the ambition of aiming for the playoffs is - I dont know how to put this - a lack of courage or belief on some fans part with 26 games to go. 

The way I see it - if you aim for the top 2 and you miss you will get into the playoffs anyway, if you aim for the playoffs and miss you will get nothing. 

So I was pointing out being only 4 points off 3rd is nothing with over half the season to play. 

Who has said we should aim for the playoffs? We should aim to win every single game and see where it takes us. 

I think you are mixing up what people think we should aim for with what people think is realistic or acceptable. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When people say ‘aim for the play-offs’ I don’t think they mean ‘purposefully lose games in case we get automatic’ ... obviously we’ll try and win every game. I imagine they mean that the playoffs are a more realistic route.

I don’t agree though, I think it’s more than possible to get automatic this year. We shall see though. 

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think you are mixing up what people think we should aim for with what people think is realistic or acceptable. 

Well if the manager has said he wants us to win every game, which I've heard him say a few times.. then why do some fans want to play it down to be "realistic or acceptable"

You either get behind the managers philosophy to win every game, (and theres been no reason to suggest we wont continue with this lets blow them away attitude).. Or you think the top 2 cant be caught with 26 games to go and the transfer window around the corner. I think playoffs are a gimme in golfing terms, we're practically already in them, and thats during our "hard run".

I honestly think Dean Smith would laugh in the face of anyone who said to him, "lets concentrate on getting into the playoffs first".. he'd be like: "you not been watching the games since I arrived?, we've gone from 17th to 8th in 8 games and just 4 points from 3rd"

22 minutes ago, Junxs said:

@Vive_La_Villa just one example for you, but there's more

Sorry but I agree with him.

Again, it has nothing to do with confidence in the manager OR the team.

It's the fact that we are coming from WAY behind, and there are SEVEN teams ahead of us which don't just roll over and stop getting points so we can steam through on our euphoria carpet.

We are in an extremely rich vein of form, playing brilliant football and have threats all over the pitch. We also have a less than stellar defense and keeper.

I'd rather stay grounded and take it a game at a time, just as the manager has said, and to be honest as semantics and mathematics currently dictate.

Sometimes we come off as the type of fans I would be taking the piss out of if I wasn't a Villa fan.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Well if the manager has said he wants us to win every game, which I've heard him say a few times.. then why do some fans want to play it down to be "realistic or acceptable"

You either get behind the managers philosophy to win every game, (and theres been no reason to suggest we wont continue with this lets blow them away attitude).. Or you think the top 2 cant be caught with 26 games to go and the transfer window around the corner. I think playoffs are a gimme in golfing terms, we're practically already in them, and thats during our "hard run".

I honestly think Dean Smith would laugh in the face of anyone who said to him, "lets concentrate on getting into the playoffs first".. he'd be like: "you not been watching the games since I arrived?, we've gone from 17th to 8th in 8 games and just 4 points from 3rd"

Well as it stands we could win every game and not finish top 2.  

But I have feeling there will come a time in the season where finishing top 2 is in our hands. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sorry but I agree with him.

Again, it has nothing to do with confidence in the manager OR the team.

It's the fact that we are coming from WAY behind, and there are SEVEN teams ahead of us which don't just roll over and stop getting points so we can steam through on our euphoria carpet.

We are in an extremely rich vein of form, playing brilliant football and have threats all over the pitch. We also have a less than stellar defense and keeper.

I'd rather stay grounded and take it a game at a time, just as the manager has said, and to be honest as semantics and mathematics currently dictate.

Sometimes we come off as the type of fans I would be taking the piss out of if I wasn't a Villa fan.

Think you've let Bruceball dampen your optimism 😀

Yes there are 7 teams ahead of us, but 5 of them theres really no gap considering how much of the season remains

Defence and keeper arent half as bad as people are making out (4 clean sheets in 8 games), but either way January transfer window opens very soon.

We only need to overtake one of the top 2, with 26 games to go we only have to catch them 2 points every 6 games or so.. then we play them both (leeds twice)

Its really not a tall order at all. 

Dean Smith has said several times we are looking to win every game we are going in to - that tells me he wants the title, one thing we can agree on that makes a refreshing change from being there or thereabouts

8 hours ago, Nigel said:

Can we just try and beat West Brom and see where that takes us?

I agree. It's still way to early. Why do we feel the need to apply pressure on ourselves ? Let's get through this tough run and see where we are come January.

We have to remember as good as we have been we have had some luck on our side as well where we haven't been punished for mistakes such as Adams hitting the post, derby missing chances, being punished for pushing all our defenders up against at boro.

I dont think we can achieve automatics if we don't sign a new keeper a cb and a lb in janaury 

Edited by Demitri_C

Alternatively, we could have smashed Blues by more. Forest had no right to a point in that match. Everything they hit or half hit went in. It was a freak.

I dont think luck has been harsh or kind. Every result has been through hard work, skill and planning.

• Like 2

Can't blame anyone for thinking that automatic promotion is within our grasp this season, I do too.

It will be a big ask given our start to the season and current deficit but we've shown that we're capable of beating anyone in this league and that we're playing the kind of football that will give us an edge in matches so that we come out on top more often than not. Even in our last defeat against QPR we had just under 70% possession and over 80% pass completion compared to their 60% pass completion. So far under Smith we have been in the contest in every match and in most matches we have had the better of our opponent. It's been enough to win most of our games under Smith. We can only take it a game at a time and hope that at the end of our fixture list we have been consistent enough to be at the top.

There's some tough games between now and the first week of January but there's no denying that so far Smith and the team have risen to the occasion, against some tough competition.

5 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Can't blame anyone for thinking that automatic promotion is within our grasp this season, I do too.

It will be a big ask given our start to the season and current deficit but we've shown that we're capable of beating anyone in this league and that we're playing the kind of football that will give us an edge in matches so that we come out on top more often than not. Even in our last defeat against QPR we had just under 70% possession and over 80% pass completion compared to their 60% pass completion. So far under Smith we have been in the contest in every match and in most matches we have had the better of our opponent. It's been enough to win most of our games under Smith. We can only take it a game at a time and hope that at the end of our fixture list we have been consistent enough to be at the top.

There's some tough games between now and the first week of January but there's no denying that so far Smith and the team have risen to the occasion, against some tough competition.

I just feel it's a bit early to talk about automatic promotion just yet, let's try and focus getting into the top 6 first and then let's take it from there.

Alot also depends on the keeper situation in January, if we are still stuck with Nyland there is no chance in us finishing in the top 2, no chance.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I just feel it's a bit early to talk about automatic promotion just yet, let's try and focus getting into the top 6 first and then let's take it from there.

Alot also depends on the keeper situation in January, if we are still stuck with Nyland there is no chance in us finishing in the top 2, no chance.

It's a bit premature for any team to think they have an automatic promotion place on lock.

We can only focus on what's ahead of us and at the moment it's taking 3 points from West Brom who are 4 points better placed than us and 5 places higher in the standings.

I don't want to get carried away but we have been impressive so far under Smith and look like one of the competitions best teams. There's a long way to go but should our form and performances continue as they have been, there's not going to be too many other teams in the league who can match us, on the day or on the points tally.

There's no guarantees though and with over half the season to be played there's much to be done. I think the run between now and first week of January will be a good indicator of how capable we are of picking up the points necessary to make up the ground between us and the top 2.

• Like 1

Only Norwich are averaging as many points per game as us under Smith.

Having Bruce as manager for the first quarter of the season has meant that Smith has to make up ground on our rivals, a deficit which might be insurmountable even with over half the season to play. Even still, we are making our mark on the league as possibly the best team and will fear no one as the season progresses.

If we continue playing the brand of football that Smith has implemented we will continue to have the edge over our opponents and put ourselves in position to take the points, or at least something, in each fixture.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree. It's still way to early. Why do we feel the need to apply pressure on ourselves ? Let's get through this tough run and see where we are come January.

We have to remember as good as we have been we have had some luck on our side as well where we haven't been punished for mistakes such as Adams hitting the post, derby missing chances, being punished for pushing all our defenders up against at boro.

I dont think we can achieve automatics if we don't sign a new keeper a cb and a lb in janaury 

You mean for set pieces? 

Why on earth should we get punished for that?? It’s a tactic. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Right I've just done some quick and dirty calculations and might be completely off.  But I think this is the situation. 

We have 6 games before we can realistic re-enforce.  i.e. with Nyland in Goal.

Looking at those 6 games, if we continue playing the way we are we could potentially see a return of 14 points from 18!.

That would put Smith on 2.17 ppg.   If we can continue that form for the rest of the season we would end on 89 points.  I think that would be top 2.

I know i've got too much time on my hands. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Right I've just done some quick and dirty calculations and might be completely off.  But I think this is the situation. 

We have 6 games before we can realistic re-enforce.  i.e. with Nyland in Goal.

Looking at those 6 games, if we continue playing the way we are we could potentially see a return of 14 points from 21.

That would put Smith on 2.17 ppg.   If we can continue that form for the rest of the season we would end on 89 points.  I think that would be top 2.

I know i've got too much time on my hands. 

We cannot get more than 18 points from 6 games but I get your drift.

• Like 1