18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Nope Derby all day and night long, there is a reason we beat them 7-0 over the season, their midfield of Bradley Johnson and Huddlestone couldn't get close to even McGinn's athleticism.

Leeds is different match up and one I'm not convinced we have a great answer to.

Way I see it we could win play off final if we played like last night v Derby (in extra time). We'll lose 2-0 if we play like that v Leeds.

We need all players to step up and that dosen't seem to ever happen for us in Wembley finals.

I think on balance Derby should be easier, but the complacency worries me. The danger of thinking we just have to turn up to beat them. Only just got past yesterday. 

Sure it'll be moot by tonight though. 

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think the two week break will do wonders for McGinn and Abraham et al, hopefully they come back roaring for one final match.

I think I'd consider Elmo on the right wing with Tuanzebe at RB and Hause in the centre.......as a solution to our right-wing problem.

I'd definitely consider Elmo instead of Adomah or Green. Not all that confident with Hause in the centre though. Honestly I'd go with Hutton at RB.

I think that the difficulty finding space to play over the two legs was a lot to do with the Baggies approached the game.We did run down a lot of blind alleys and there were quite a few potshots from outside the area also.Im not sure it was the form of the players generally dropping though, because they had to play well in a different kind of way and was to do with the level of performance of the opposition.

It would be nice to take the lead in the final this time even if it’s against the run of play.

As we have seen a goal Can galvanise a team a lead to an overall improvement over the 90 minutes.UTV

Anything can happen in a one-off final so come the day I will be just as nervous whether we are facing Derby or Leeds, but I can't really understand anyone's logic that would prefer to play Leeds considering we have beaten the Rams 7-0 (over the two league fixtures).

I suppose we would be favourites against them and maybe people are wary that would add to the pressure?! I don't know. I am just relieved we are there and honestly feel that if we play to our capabilities and strengths we will win the game regardless of the opponents! 

1 hour ago, vreitti said:

I'd definitely consider Elmo instead of Adomah or Green. Not all that confident with Hause in the centre though. Honestly I'd go with Hutton at RB.

Try and solve the RW issue by creating a RB issue? No thanks, Hutton should be nowhere near the first 11. 

I'd be tempted to play Elmo RW, Tuanzebe at RB with Hause in the middle but that may also cause defence issues so I'd be pretty confident that Smith will stick with Green or Taylor. 

14 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Leicester apparently have, ‘92 and ‘93 before winning it in 1994.

Yes - 92 against Blackburn...  93 against Swindon (a cracking game that actually), and then they won in 94 against Derby.

• Like 1

On the one hand we will create chances against Leeds or Derby. On the other hand we could struggle against an energetic high press when trying to play it out from the back as certain players just aren’t good enough to play that way. (As last night showed).

It will be an interesting game whoever we play. Hopefully it’s Derby.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

On the one hand we will create chances against Leeds or Derby. On the other hand we could struggle against an energetic high press when trying to play it out from the back as certain players just aren’t good enough to play that way. (As last night showed).

It will be an interesting game whoever we play. Hopefully it’s Derby.

Exactly. Only way you play through a high press is having players who don't panic when pressed. Tuanzebe is very comfortable on the ball for example. Hourihane can't get rid of it quick enough when he's pressed. 

• Like 1