18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

For me our race for promotion depends largely on these next 7 days.

If we are going to think about competing anywhere near the play off positions then a few players still need to come in - possibilities: CB (Terry? or Huth?), MR (Snodgrass?),  ST (Gayle? or Martinez?)

So atleast 3 loans in those positions are the ones needing filled the most while also blending experience with youth.

We do have bags of youth but I feel we do not have enough experience in there steadying things as it stands and this for me is key as well as filling these 3 needed positions with the right players.

If knitted together properly and we crack the above then I would fancy us to go beyond the playoff places this time round.

Not so worried about the next week in terms of ins myself Rigo but I'm with you on the rest. Plenty of time to loan a few bodies before the end of the month and I'm confident we'll still be pretty big fish in the loan market (attract the better players). I'd like to see a CB signed though, if only on a free. Look to loan the 3 positions you earmark and also a LB for me.

This week is all about keeping the right players and hopefully shipping a few squad types out.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Not so worried about the next week in terms of ins myself Rigo but I'm with you on the rest. Plenty of time to loan a few bodies before the end of the month and I'm confident we'll still be pretty big fish in the loan market (attract the better players). I'd like to see a CB signed though, if only on a free. Look to loan the 3 positions you earmark and also a LB for me.

This week is all about keeping the right players and hopefully shipping a few squad types out.

Bang on Marv.

Could Terry still be signed after 9th August even though he is a bosman ineffect?

What I don't want to see are players (loans) arriving where we already have 3 players in that said position, for the loan player to then be compensated a start anyway but be played out of position etc. (DM Axel Tuanzebe). 

• Like 1

If we adequately replace the players we've lost and keep Jack then I think we'll get automatic.

Stoke have a good squad for this level, but Rowetts negativity may hamper them. Definite contenders though.

WBA and Swansea have lost a few, haven't signed much and have inexperienced managers. Probably top 6.

Forest and Leeds. Who knows? Spent a lot, both have good managers but Leeds could go badly wrong. We've seen ourselves that signing lots of players doesn't always fix stuff. One top 6 one not I'd say.

Boro. Pulisbaaaall.... Probably similar to us (decent squad and old school manager). Pulis will either scream and hoof them over the line or cost them with his limitations. Contenders.

Derby. Lampards signed some decent players to add to a decent squad, but can he manage? If he can they'll be near the top 6, if he can't they'll be out of the running by the time he gets fired.

There'll be a surprise package or two like last year, but I don't see why we can't compete at the top end

Edited by StewieGriffin
  • Like 2

Assuming we keep all of our players, and I feel that is a big assumption, we'll probably be somewhere between 5th and 9th. Whilst I feel many players are going to have a greater impact this season due to missing large proportions of the last one, I can't see how we're currently going to replace Snodgrass' goals and assists.

However, solve that by bringing back Snodgrass or someone of similar ilk and I'd guess we're looking 2nd to 4th. We're missing that out and out striker for a title bid.

On the flip side, lose any more key players and we won't make playoffs. So this time next week we'll have a bloody good idea of if we're in for at least a relatively successful season. Then with loans we'll know how good (or bad) things will be by the end of August. The next week is key though.

12 hours ago, dounavilla said:

In no particular order at present but the top 6 will consist of:

VILLA

STOKE

MIDDLESBORO

WBA

SWANSEA

DERBY

imo of course.

Usually it's quite rare that all 3 relegated prem teams are around the top 6 straight afterwards. One usually has a collapse

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 8pints said:

I think we will see Green chip in with a fair amount of goals and assists this season too.

This is the key for me. 

I am just not seeing many goals in that team - only perhaps Kjodia being a regular scorer  - the much fabled u23's all seem to be injured !  - really hope we get Abraham on loan.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Usually it's quite rare that all 3 relegated prem teams are around the top 6 straight afterwards. One usually has a collapse

To be honest the three this year don’t seem bad, although as you said, infact, only 1 team promoted (The mugs) out of 6 teams in the last two years.

Just to add fuel to the fire with Snodgrass, I saw him and his Mrs in his Range Rover on the Tamworth road the other day. Could just have been clearing some stuff out of his flat though.

We are not a team that belongs in the Championship, really.

We are the 7th oldest British club still in existence from a city with the second biggest population.

It's a tragedy that we're no longer among other major cities like Manchester, Liverpool, London, Munich, Dortmund, Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Seville, Paris, Turin, Naples, Rome etc.

Leeds is the only other club I can think of which could be on the European stage that's in the second division currently.

All that aside, we are here and for this season I see us having enough talent in the squad as is to push for promotion.

Some more signings would be ideal, but we should have the best midfield in the division, and we could also have the best striker in the division, Kodjia.

Will we be the best team? I'm far from confident but I also am not going to write us off.

I don't know anything about the teams that have come down, or who's added or lost what among the rest.

My biggest concern is Bruce but I've already covered that elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Not fancied by many pundits at all which I prefer as there won’t be as much pressure as last year

Cardiff were touted by nobody last season

They shocked everyone.

I can see a similar package this year, Bristol maybe.

49 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Cardiff were touted by nobody last season

They shocked everyone.

I can see a similar package this year, Bristol maybe.

Looking at derby with their new players they look a bit if a mess and will need time to gel. We don't have that problem thus far...