18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

3 hours ago, Nigel said:

The moment we bring in any loans the kids in that department need to be shipped out on loan. Zero point in them hanging around waiting for league cup fixtures.

Option to bring em back in Jan when we see where they are.

Who are the kids we’re talking about here? It’s not that I don’t agree with you. I think there is a big potential in COH and JDH, If they’re not used then surely I’d send them on loans. Who are the other prospects we have? Davis and RHM should stay around I guess (we lack striker). Jacob and Suliman? As it stands we can only send midfielders. Who do we have in the LB btw? Hopefully there is one with high potential as we will definitely need him.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone know why there is only two games on tues night?? Very weird 

Both were due to be played in 2 weeks time i think . Forest-Baggies moved because of cricket going on in Trent bridge during the original date. True story! Boro-Sheff Utd..purely a scheduling thing by the EFL and Sky to free up space for a tv game in a few weeks. Wilder was moaning about it this week. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

We have also lost 19 goals with Onomah, Snodgrass and Grabban leaving, as said I highly doubt Adomah will get 16 goals again

That needs more that 1 striker to step up . Hogan I think is injured again as well

All opinions of course, but we only had Grabban for 9/10 games, I doubt we will notice Onomah has gone, and Albert could even score more than last year if he doesn’t fade.......add a fit Kodja and it’s as easy to think we will match last year ( as I do) as it is to think we will struggle ?

I think we will be top 6 all season and surge ahead in the Spring.

21 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve just had a look at the Stoke Squad. If the squad stays as is then on paper they should walk this league. They got a manager that knows the league too. 

I think they will do a Wolves. 

Me too.

I think they will both get relegated ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, romavillan said:

If we get into the position where we have to be in better than title winning form for a couple of months just to catch up again Bruce should be shown the door. We can't be trying to do it from so far behind again, it'd kill any good new owner vibes right out the gate.

I'm not saying we need to win the first 10, but we need to be within reach of second to be well placed.

2 points per game.

Same as we needed last year.

Im very confident.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think joe Allen is going to be the best midfielder by a country mile at this level. I am surprised no one has come in for him

Got bossed today . A welcome to the championship type game for him.

9 minutes ago, JuanCrablo24 said:

Just been on Stoke forum, their fans are wanting Shawcross dropped and think there squad is awful and fear relegation. Good to see knee jerk reactions are universal. But goes to show how nothing is guaranteed in this league.

Haha. That's what happens when you get relegated its a reality sh9ck like with us and Sheffield Wednesday.

56 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Leeds were good though, Bielsa looks to have done some good work there pre-season. 

Who know what we'll be like tomorrow! 

I do. It'll be same old from us. Under Bruce away we've always tried to slow it right down. Tomorrow be no different. We will try nick a goal.

Last year I predicted we would miss out on promotion mostly because I felt we didn't have enough goals. 

This season not only do we not have enough goals but we are weaker defensively.

No chance of a relegation battle but unlikely to threaten the top 6 imo. 

9th for us with Leeds, Swansea and Stoke to go up.

Edited by One For The Road

3 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Last year I predicted we would miss out on promotion mostly because I felt we didn't have enough goals. 

This season not only do we not have enough goals but we are weaker defensively.

No chance of a relegation battle but unlikely to threaten the top 6 imo. 

9th for us with Leeds, Swansea and Stoke to go up.

I think it's pretty open this season.  Leeds were impressive and Stoke probably have the best squad in the league but there's not much to choose between a hell of a lot of teams.  I don't see us as being any weaker than Swansea on paper (although as I said elsewhere, looking forward to seeing what they do under Potter) or Boro, Brentford and other teams who are likely to be around the top 6.

Automatic promotion seems unlikely, but I think we'll be around the top 6 again.

The way Leeds played was really good but there is no way you can keep that up after 46 games. Leeds will pick up significant injuries and player will get tired

They will have to mix it up.

They looked excellent though yesterday.  Stoke looked all over the place.

• Like 1

We are weaker from last season in some respects losing (Terry, Snodgrass and Johnston in particularly), but there is every chance we could have a stronger team this season still if things go our way.

After our initial poor start we still managed to compete last year without Grealish for half a season and Kodjia for the full season. Obviously there are still questions whether Grealish will still be here and Kodjia will return to form. But if they both do we arguably have our 2 best players ready for the full season.

This coupled with what ever signings/loans we bring in between now and the deadline means there is no reason we can't challenge for promotion.

Edited by JuanCrablo24
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree we need a finisher but doesn’t last season prove not having one does not mean no top 6?

Kodija needs to get back amongst the goals

Last season we had Snodgrass creating chances and scoring the odd goal as well as Adomah on a ridiculously good run for the 1st half of the season. Add to that the solid defence that allowed the likes of Hourihane, Bikir and even Jedinak to push foward a little more to support the attack and you can see how we scored so many goals. Then throw in Grabban and it all makes sense why finished so strongly.

We have none of the above this season (apart from Albert who was dreadful at the back end of the season) so will find goals harder to come by. We are desperate for a striker who is proven at this level and all the signs are that we are struggling to find one with our pretty non existent budget. 

Kodjia may be one of the greediest players in the league, but he can score goals. We will be heavily reliant on him this year.

Top 6 this season will be a massive ask.

Edited by One For The Road

Kodja is good for 20 odd goals, Adomah should weigh in with another batch of 10, and the invisable man Connor Hourihane can get around that many despite not doing much else.

We got 72 goals last season despite not having our main striker thats why I think we can go up.

and if Grealish believes the hype around him he should be getting double figures of goals and assists.

The teams with the best squads this season are Stoke and baggies. but they've given us a massive head start with their choice of managers. I expect big dave to get the bullet in sept and also I think the stoke job is way too big for Gary Rowett and he'll eventually get fired. By then we should get a nice cushion. I can't see Lampard doing much at Derby the only danger is the old master Pulis will surely have boro sorted out by now and launch a genuine title push. The rest of the champ is garbage. Included in that is Leeds who always look tasty at this stage.

2 hours ago, screwdriver said:

Kodja is good for 20 odd goals, Adomah should weigh in with another batch of 10, and the invisable man Connor Hourihane can get around that many despite not doing much else.

We got 72 goals last season despite not having our main striker thats why I think we can go up.

and if Grealish believes the hype around him he should be getting double figures of goals and assists.

The teams with the best squads this season are Stoke and baggies. but they've given us a massive head start with their choice of managers. I expect big dave to get the bullet in sept and also I think the stoke job is way too big for Gary Rowett and he'll eventually get fired. By then we should get a nice cushion. I can't see Lampard doing much at Derby the only danger is the old master Pulis will surely have boro sorted out by now and launch a genuine title push. The rest of the champ is garbage. Included in that is Leeds who always look tasty at this stage.

Be really interesting to see how Rowett does at Stoke. When people wanted him here it was suggested that he would not be able to cope with a job that would be too big for him. I think stoke will be a good measure of his capabilities and will watch with interest.

We will go up automatically, starting with a win tonight.

Weve lost Terry and Snodders, and 10 games of Grabban, and gained De Laet, Green and Kodja, all of whom will be fresh and fighting fit, all of whom are fine at this level.

Plus we have a tested Manager, great team spirit, and less pressure than th elast 2 years with even some of our own fans writing us off.

Lok out for the Villa juggernaut !

• Like 2