18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

I think there is a big drop in ability between teams this year and last. No one this year has the ability of wolves or even Fulham. Despite us being defensively weaker, I genuinely don’t see us finishing outside the top 6.

5 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I think there is a big drop in ability between teams this year and last. No one this year has the ability of wolves or even Fulham. Despite us being defensively weaker, I genuinely don’t see us finishing outside the top 6.

I think the opposite. Think it's going to be much harder. Stoke, Baggies and Swansea will all be quite strong. 

• Like 1

I'd be very wary of Leeds under Bielsa. He's genuinely a top quality manager and I'm not too familiar with their squad but I'll be surprised if he isn't able to get them challenging at the very top of the Championship before too long. Middlesbrough under Pulis too I assume would have been in the automatic promotion spots last season if you took their results from after he joined and spread them over a whole season. 

I think we will be there or thereabouts with the play off spots, I would feel a lot more confident of an auto spot if we had bought in a few signings already. I know we have been hamstrung by Dr Tony and FFP, which has left us weak in a couple of areas. We need some of the youth players to come good. We will also be needing any loan signings to hit the ground running when they do sign, as we will be 3-4 games into the season by then.

8 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I think the opposite. Think it's going to be much harder. Stoke, Baggies and Swansea will all be quite strong. 

Think Albion won’t be anywhere near, “Big Dave” will be so far out of his depth and will get sacked before the end of the season.

8 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Why is everyone so concerned about the relegated teams? How have relegated teams done in the last few years? With the exception of Newcastle, terribly. Last year Boro were huge favourites and limped into the playoffs, Sunderland got relegated and Hull did bugger all. What makes Baggies, Stoke and Swansea so much better than any of the other relegated teams from recent years? Maybe 1 of them will challenge but no way will all 3 be up there, and I highly doubt any of them will be as good as Wolves or Fulham were last year 

• Like 2

No way we shouldn't be challenging in this league. I hate that Bruce already has his excuses out, when he should be licking his lips at how poor the league is this year while we are pretty much just as good as we were last season personnel-wise.

Might only be the first weekend but I see those results and think if we can get our house in order we have a chance here. 

The last 2 seasons have proved a strong start is vital, now is our chance.

Edited by jjaacckk91
Typo

9 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Nah

Relegated teams are relegated because they are just crap. 

The difference between top Championship and bottom Premier League is really not that great. 

Those teams will still be pretty crap.  Relegated teams hardly ever go straight back up. 

Wow was going to write about Boro losing but they came back!

As it seems it could go either way, momentum and good start has gifted Cardiff the promotion.

Millwall, Brentford, Derby, Boro and Preston are dangerous. 

Relegated teams and Leeds would surely have their go.

Its important that these teams lose early, if Swans lost tonight, Stoke drew or lose tomorrow. While us winning. It would only help us.

A huge huge game this Monday, looking at the results, a win is a must I’d say. Would give the boost we need. 

Many draws and many unpredicted results.

To be honest, after today and last nights game I'm more excited about this season than I was on Thursday. Derby last night were poor, Reading made them look pretty average at times. Some of the results this afternoon have been very odd (although I understand the Championship throws these up every week)

Right now Swansea look pants (watch them win 3-0 now...), from what I have seen we have nothing to fear and even with the loss of players we could really give it a go this season. For me Stoke and possibly Leeds will be the teams to watch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

No way we shouldn't be challenging in this league. I hate that Bruce already has his excuses out, when he should be licking his lips at how poor the league is this year while we are pretty much just as good as we were last season personnel-wise.

The problem is, we're not. We've lost our captain and he's replaced by Tommy Elphick, we've lost our main source of goals last season in both Snodgrass and Grabban and we've lost our #1 goalkeeper for the last 18 months. We've not been able to bring any replacements in yet either (apart from the young keeper that I know nothing about so can't compare to SJ at the moment). We need players ASAP if we're going to have a chance and imo we'll struggle at the start. We needed the takeover a month earlier really 

Edit : just to add I think the league will be way tighter this year and no one will run away with it so we can get away with a poor start if we get our recruitment right in the next few weeks 

Edited by weedman

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I think we can sniff the chance this year, lots of teams in play but many massively restructured or just new to the league. Honestly think we can do it, with a bit of luck thrown in. 

This. If we can cover some of the holes in our squad and keep the rest intact I see no reason as to this not being possible. I think a lot of us are a bit wary at the start of the season with a new set of relegated sides and other teams from last season looking stronger on paper. 

59 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I think we can sniff the chance this year, lots of teams in play but many massively restructured or just new to the league. Honestly think we can do it, with a bit of luck thrown in. 

Agree. There’s also 2 automatic spots to play for this season!