18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

19 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Well if Kodjia gets firing again, Adomah get his form big and Green was up for it.

We might get away with it if we got a proper CB. Assuming couple of the young players step up (particularly Callum, Jake, Eiasah and RHM).

But thats a dangerous approach to the season, it wont be as easy as last season and we are missing arguably our most important player last season in the attacking side.

I think its the defence that looks really poor. I don't see much creativity even with grealish. Also up top its really poor. Hogan is dreadful. Kodjia who knows if he will be same player. Davis doesn't look like a natural goal scorer and RHM is how cole mark 2 with all his injuries.

We're going to be back to conceding a goal every other game and having to score 2 goals to win matches let's be realistic not going to happen with current lack of pacy striking options and Bruce ball is it

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think its the defence that looks really poor. I don't see much creativity even with grealish. Also up top its really poor. Hogan is dreadful. Kodjia who knows if he will be same player. Davis doesn't look like a natural goal scorer and RHM is how cole mark 2 with all his injuries.

So not much hope then is there? from you. Glad we don't all think that way or there wouldn't be much point turning up!!!

24 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

We're going to be back to conceding a goal every other game and having to score 2 goals to win matches let's be realistic not going to happen with current lack of pacy striking options and Bruce ball is it

If we only concede a goal every other game we'll win the league by a street!!?

• Haha 1

You have to look to last season and weigh up if we're stronger or weaker, which isn't as easy as it may initially seem.

Obviously we've lost Johnstone, Terry, Snodgrass and Grabban as the regular starters. However I think Johnstone will practically be replaced to the point it makes little difference (maybe a few points avg less over season) Terry will be easily replaced (on field) Grabban the same. Snodgrass' goals and assists are a massive loss.

On the plus side, we hopefully will have Kodjia and Grealish available for a much greater proportion of the season. Furthermore the likes of Green should have more of an impact. Delaet might have a good season based on preseason too. So, we're probably not too much different from last season if you weigh it all up. So is that another (5th/6th) playoff challenge realistically?

However, lose either of Chester or Grealish and we're mid table at best. Conversely, either bring back Snodgrass or effectively replace his contribution and I think we're fighting for automatics. To challenge for title I think we'd need too many players; a CB, a winger and a striker.

So if we go in to the season as we are then my prediction is 5th.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pintpotvilla said:

So not much hope then is there? from you. Glad we don't all think that way or there wouldn't be much point turning up!!!

Hmm ok then. You think the current squad is good enough to get promoted? Your in for disappointment.

Tell me has kodjia looked the same player? Has Hogan been a good signing? Is RHM not injured?

Does davis look  like a goal scorer or a target man to help with assist with goals?

14 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

You have to look to last season and weigh up if we're stronger or weaker, which isn't as easy as it may initially seem.

Obviously we've lost Johnstone, Terry, Snodgrass and Grabban as the regular starters. However I think Johnstone will practically be replaced to the point it makes little difference (maybe a few points avg less over season) Terry will be easily replaced (on field) Grabban the same. Snodgrass' goals and assists are a massive loss.

On the plus side, we hopefully will have Kodjia and Grealish available for a much greater proportion of the season. Furthermore the likes of Green should have more of an impact. Delaet might have a good season based on preseason too. So, we're probably not too much different from last season if you weigh it all up. So is that another (5th/6th) playoff challenge realistically?

A common misconception. Grabban started just 10 of the 46 games.

I agree with much of what you say, particularly that Snodgrass is the only significant loss ( I think Terry as well but far less so).

Kodja only started 9 games so that’s a new striker effectively. Green should step up for Snodgrass....less wily, but pacier, so swings and roundabouts. Grealish for a full season would actually mean we were stronger, not weaker, than last year. If he goes, well that’s a big blow but we didn’t have him for a lot of last year.

Chester is the one for me, it’d be great to keep him and add a CB, however, in any event, I see no reason we shouldn’t challenge for Automatics. There should ( should) be a big dividend from having a fairly settled squad and a Manager into his 3rd year.

We hauled our goals goal up last year, so more of the same.....we need 5 attack minded players on the pitch EVERY game this time ! We are a little weaker defensively but this League has few top defences. 2 goals a game and we are up.

One added bonus in my view, for the first two seasons every team raised their game to play us.....I doubt we are seen in quite the same way now, which could mean quite a bit.

Im as sure as ever we will finish in the Play Offs, and fairly confident of top 2.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

A common misconception. Grabban started just 10 of the 46 games.

I agree with much of what you say, particularly that Snodgrass is the only significant loss ( I think Terry as well but far less so).

Kodja only started 9 games so that’s a new striker effectively. Green should step up for Snodgrass....less wily, but pacier, so swings and roundabouts. Grealish for a full season would actually mean we were stronger, not weaker, than last year. If he goes, well that’s a big blow but we didn’t have him for a lot of last year.

Chester is the one for me, it’d be great to keep him and add a CB, however, in any event, I see no reason we shouldn’t challenge for Automatics. There should ( should) be a big dividend from having a fairly settled squad and a Manager into his 3rd year.

We hauled our goals goal up last year, so more of the same.....we need 5 attack minded players on the pitch EVERY game this time ! We are a little weaker defensively but this League has few top defences. 2 goals a game and we are up.

One added bonus in my view, for the first two seasons every team raised their game to play us.....I doubt we are seen in quite the same way now, which could mean quite a bit.

Im as sure as ever we will finish in the Play Offs, and fairly confident of top 2.

Whilst I don't share your optimism, I certainly applaud it! ?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hmm ok then. You think the current squad is good enough to get promoted? Your in for disappointment.

Tell me has kodjia looked the same player? Has Hogan been a good signing? Is RHM not injured?

Does davis look  like a goal scorer or a target man to help with assist with goals?

Thing is though, that was all soooo 2017, 2018 villa is a new breed :)

Some of the players we no longer have like  Snodgrass and Terry gave us a mental toughness which I think we are going miss.Last season we rarely conceded goals in the last 10 mins something which we seemed to do regularly in the previous seasons.

That strength of character the team seemed to have last season is going to be difficult to find again and this is going to make promotion less likely.

Don’t think we will be promoted this year, but a lot depends on what we are able to do in the loan market. We need two center backs, a winger and a striker, and retain Jack to be challenging. 

However, a few weeks ago we were going bust, so considering this we are in great shape now. I am willing to be patient this season as I believe these owners will get it right given time.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Two things will swing my optimism - Jack staying and Snodgrass coming back. Those two happen then it is possible. 

Am I missing something? Is there solid links says we are likely getting Snodds? Doesn’t he only have one year inhis contract left? Will they loan him again?

Just now, abdulaziz1 said:

Am I missing something? Is there solid links says we are likely getting Snodds? Doesn’t he only have one year inhis contract left? Will they loan him again?

They've signed some new wingers and apparently according to the mail we are where he will go if West Ham let him leave. The only argument for them to keep him previously was that he would be a good squad player on relatively low wages about to enter the final year of his contract. Really now reckon a decent loan fee will change their mind and they'll do the right thing by the player who clearly wants to be here. 

• Like 1

On 31/07/2018 at 18:38, Demitri_C said:

Did we have a natural goalscorer last season anyway? Maybe towards the end of last season we had Grabban, but the commulative of goals from strikers last season was awful.

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

They've signed some new wingers and apparently according to the mail we are where he will go if West Ham let him leave. The only argument for them to keep him previously was that he would be a good squad player on relatively low wages about to enter the final year of his contract. Really now reckon a decent loan fee will change their mind and they'll do the right thing by the player who clearly wants to be here. 

But that would means teams who are willing to buy would have the best chance of getting him. Albion, Stoke and Swansea all are able to buy him.

4 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

But that would means teams who are willing to buy would have the best chance of getting him. Albion, Stoke and Swansea all are able to buy him.

Well he'll turn 31 in Sept so quite possible someone will give a decent 3 year contract - I've no idea how it works but there's a bond there with us, the manager, the fans, the team - I'm hoping he wants it as much as us and then maybe that'll decide things. Probably a naive point of view though. 

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Well he'll turn 31 in Sept so quite possible someone will give a decent 3 year contract - I've no idea how it works but there's a bond there with us, the manager, the fans, the team - I'm hoping he wants it as much as us and then maybe that'll decide things. Probably a naive point of view though. 

Yes he has the bond and the will. But it’s West Ham who own his contract. If no one came until the end of the window I think we have a good chance of loaning him again.

• Like 2

For me our race for promotion depends largely on these next 7 days.

If we are going to think about competing anywhere near the play off positions then a few players still need to come in - possibilities: CB (Terry? or Huth?), MR (Snodgrass?),  ST (Gayle? or Martinez?)

So atleast 3 loans in those positions are the ones needing filled the most while also blending experience with youth.

We do have bags of youth but I feel we do not have enough experience in there steadying things as it stands and this for me is key as well as filling these 3 needed positions with the right players.

If knitted together properly and we crack the above then I would fancy us to go beyond the playoff places this time round.

• Like 1