18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

21 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I'm convinced he's the right man (villan) for the job.

Looking at his winning percentage and the fact he have achieved nothing better than mid table finishes so far in his managerial record nothing tells me he is the real deal.

Really hope i am wrong, but stats don't lie. You can say he's only managed small clubs, but Bournemouth ain't a big club either.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Looking at his winning percentage and the fact he have achieved nothing better than mid table finishes so far in his managerial record nothing tells me he is the real deal.

Really hope i am wrong, but stats don't lie. You can say he's only managed small clubs, but Bournemouth ain't a big club either.

I don't think anyone is saying it's not his biggest job yet are they? 

Midtable finishes with the resources at their disposal wasn't that bad was it? Where were Walsall and Brentford on the wages table for each season he was there? I bet Brentford weren't the 9th biggest payers in the league for example...

You say nothing tells you he is the real deal? I say he brought the best football we have played since Big Ron. Backing him to acheive that consistently might be a better idea than writing him off after 2 months. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

What's your opinion on Dean Smith though? I don't think I've heard it over and over again.

Found this @romavillan and @villalad21 (who will turn away from this dissonance and justify it somehow)...

I'm sure there's a better resource out there, but personally, I don't see how Dean Smith never got Brentford promoted and into the Champions League.

Wage Bills In Championship

3 Votes

Just seeing these numbers make one realise two things. It’s not all about money. Some teams with big budgets do badly and little old tinpot Brentford do rather well. One example might be Norwich with a wage bill triple that of Brentford or Middlesbrough which approaches five times that of Brentford

img_8246.jpg?w=9999

img_0051.jpg?w=9999

https://arcticterntalk.org/2018/05/18/wage-bills-in-championship/

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 2

I'm sure there are better resources for this too, but everything I looked at put Walsall at near enough second bottom in the wage bills for League 1. I predict Villalad's reaction to his cognative dissonance to be, 'He did this at small clubs. Villa is too big for him.' Now he can sit back and look forwards to us losing again.

https://www.footy.com/footballers-vs-the-fans/#efl-league-one

EFL
League One

Highest Wage Gap: Blackburn Rovers

[14x]

Lowest Wage Gap: AFC Wimbledon

[2x]

League Average:

5x

Team Players
Average Weekly Pay
Fans
Average Weekly Pay
Wage Gap [x]
Wigan Athletic £5,385 £423.70 13
Charlton Athletic £4,843 £550.20 9
Blackburn Rovers £4,783 £352.30 14
Portsmouth £3,269 £421.60 8
Milton Keynes Dons £2,958 £487.50 6
Rotherham United £2,846 £381.10 7
Northampton Town £2,657 £426.40 6
Oxford United £2,588 £500.80 5
Scunthorpe Town £2,462 £414.60 6
Bury £2,401 £467.10 5
Peterborough United £2,248 £390.10 6
Doncaster Rovers £1,947 £379.30 5
Fleetwood Town £1,846 £375.90 5
Oldham Athletic £1,798 £403.80 4
Bradford City £1,625 £394.60 4
Blackpool £1,528 £337.30 5
Bristol Rovers £1,500 £451.10 3
Southend United £1,477 £444.90 3
Plymouth Argyle £1,369 £413.20 3
Gillingham £1,362 £464.60 3
Rochdale £1,167 £383.20 3
Shrewsbury Town £1,154 £426.30 3
Walsall £1,150 £392.50 3
AFC Wimbledon £1,130 £573.30 2
Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 2

Apart from underlining Smith's past good work, it shows how much money we've been wasting, we threw enough at it to get up inside 2 years and we spent those resources criminally badly. To end with 1 senior defender for this season after our kind of outlay is mind blowing negligence. Also, Clough at Burton?! also underlines that he's been doing some great work there.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Not one VIlla fan is saying Dean Smith is the real deal as of now. You're not being as reasonable as you pretend you are, and it comes across as a bit disingenuous: you have been actively saying he is definitely not right, that he is a bad manager. Everyone else is saying that it is early days and there has been enough early promise, coupled with mitigating circumstances, that warrant holding off any extreme opinions right now. I think that's the reasonable way. I hope he's incredibly successful here and that he is the real deal but only time will tell. I want that because I want Villa to do well.

Also, Bournemouth spent big to go up. They were not a tiny tin-pot club, but one with investment. Eddie Howe though is still doing an incredible job and they have made a lot of good decisions. We can't have Eddie Howe as manager though, so it's pointless talking about him.

http://www.cityam.com/214581/how-bournemouths-promotion-push-was-funded-russian-millionaire

Bournemouth's promotion push isn't as romantic as it seems

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Joe Hall
I'm a sports and sports business journalist with City A.M. Follow me for coverag [..] Show more
Follow Joe
  •  
  •  

Bournemouth
Bournemouth hope to be celebrating promotion to the Premier League by beating Bolton tonight (Source: Getty)

After smashing Bolton on Monday night, Bournemouth sealed (barring a miracle) their place in next season's Premier League.

Just six years after they avoided relegation from the Football League, the final step into the promised land was one of the easier tasks Bournemouth have faced in their steady climb up the Football League.

On the surface, the Cherries’ ascent appears to be a timeless tale of football folklore. The narrative which followed victory over Bolton wasn’t hard to foresee: little old Bournemouth, with their 12,000 capacity ground, flirtations with financial meltdown and likeable young manager (who also happens to be a club legend) win three promotions in six seasons to earn their chance to duke it out with the big boys.

Hollywood doesn’t do football very well, but if it was looking for a story replete with the required magic, romance and sentimentality, the Bournemouth tale surely has everything it is looking for.

Bournemouth's rise to the top:

• 08/09: League Two 21st
  • 09/10: League Two 2nd
  • 10/11: League One 6th
  • 11/12: League One 11th
  • 12/13: League One 2nd (promoted)
  • 13/14: Championship 10th
  • 14/15: Championship 1st/2nd possible finish*

*Unless they lose 19-0 to Charlton this weekend...

Yet while an attractive style of football (Bournemouth are the Championship’s top scorers), manager Eddie Howe’s expert coaching and smart recruitment have all been essential elements in the club’s rise, so too has the money pumped in by a Russian millionaire.

The mysterious Maxim Demin became Bournemouth’s full owner in 2013, after buying a 50 per cent stake two years earlier. The director of Surrey-based Wintel Petrochemicals, Demin became interested in the club after building a £5m mansion (in place of another he bought for the same price) on the luxurious Sandbanks peninsula outside Bournemouth. Yet little else is known about the man writing the cheques, other than the fact he has been generous with his wealth so far.

Until January 2012, Bournemouth’s transfer record was the £210,000 paid for Gavin Peacock in 1989. That was duly smashed in the first transfer window following Demin’s arrival - striker Matt Tubbs signing for upwards of £800,000.

The club has continued to increase expenditure on transfers ever since, yet with match-day and commercial revenues dwarfed by those of their rivals, Bournemouth have been reliant on the deep pockets of Demin to refine their squad.

transfer-spend-since-summer-2013-expenditure-chartbuilder-1-553e4a45e9c63.png

When the south coast club seized promotion to the Championship two seasons ago, they did so as League One’s biggest spenders, having outlayed £1.38m - over £1m more than anyone else. Yet in the process the Cherries also racked up a hefty £15.3m loss and required an £8.7m loan from their wealthy benefactor to ease the burden.

The accounts for their first season in the Championship are yet to be released, although they have continued to spend more than they earn when it comes to transfers. In a league packed with examples of financial mismanagement, Bournemouth are far from the most lavish spenders, but neither are they minnows swimming in a sea of sharks.

In fact, of those clubs who don’t currently enjoy Premier League parachute payments just three - Nottingham Forest, Leeds United and Middlesbrough - have spent more in the last two seasons than Bournemouth. Two of those clubs (Forest and Leeds) were hit with transfer embargoes by the football league for breaching financial fair play rules.

Like so many others in modern football, the remarkable story of Bournemouth’s rise has had its script written by a millionaire.

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

I don’t think we’ll make it, however if you had offered me a point before the game I would have taken it.

If this comeback can be used as a springboard, then maybe we’ll have a chance of making the top six. But it’s going to be bloody hard work.

• Like 1

The next two games are massive, but you can pretty much say that about every game I guess.

If Smith were to go back to Brentford on Wednesday and get the win, then somehow beat West Brom at a packed Villa Park it might make things interesting. Good thing is we've still got to play everyone above us so to an extent we can still control our own destiny.

If we made playoffs from here though it would be as big a shock to me as coming back from 3-0 tonight.

5 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Sheffield United aren't shit. I don't think this game is the one to draw conclusions from.

I'm drawing the conclusion from another game gone and two points further away. We probably need to make up 9 points from 45 to play for.

We scored 2 or more and failed to win in 9 games out of 31. Ouch!

We’ve lost five with scoring, two which we failed to score. Actually we only failed to score at QPR, Wigan and Reading.

We drew 14! Yet we lost as much as Leeds. 

We’re the third best attack, yet the second worst defensively.