1st leg pre match

Demitri_C

16 minutes ago, limpid said:

Any links to confirm this?

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/championship-play-offs-away-goals-9133427

No away goal rule

Away goals don't count for double in the play-off semi-finals. If the scores are level after 180 minutes of action then it's straight into extra time. Still level - penalties.

• Like 2

Found it:

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/sky-bet-play-offs/playoff-rules--regulations/

2.4 In the Semi-Finals, the first leg shall be of 90 (ninety) minutes duration. If the aggregate scores are level at the end of 90 (ninety) minutes in the second leg, extra time will be played. If the scores remain level at the end of extra time the tie will be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark, in accordance with the Laws of Association Football. 

7 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

So that’s the away goals rule sorted then, the next question must be is Januzaj eligible to play given that we have Johnstone on loan as well and he will most probably be a definite starter? 

Depends if Cleverly is on the bench

14 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Feeling very nervous already, I would love to come away from the Riverside all square (in some ways, I think I would prefer that than an odd-goal Villa win as I think we would find a way to blow it as clear favourites).

I think Bruce will go;

Johnstone, Elmohamady, Chester, Terry, Hutton, Snodgrass, Jedinak, Hourihane, Adomah, Grealish, Grabban.

Not sure if I agree, not easy to call. 

I do sometimes worry about the quality of our play and our ability to match teams with pace, but looking at that team and the amount of big game experience it has, it is unbelievable for a championship side. It's got play off finals experience, fa cup finals, internationals playing at world cups/euros etc.) and they have pretty much all performed consistently well at premiership level at some stage of their career. In fact, I doubt there has ever been a side close to that level of experience in the play offs.

I think that's key in games that will be tight and probably won't be full of quality.

I also like Kodija as our wildcard, if we do it....I can see him playing a big part at some point and might just give us that 'Hernandez moment' Hull had a few years ago in the final which ultimately sent them up. 

3 minutes ago, villanmac said:

I do sometimes worry about the quality of our play and our ability to match teams with pace, but looking at that team and the amount of big game experience it has, it is unbelievable for a championship side. It's got play off finals experience, fa cup finals, internationals playing at world cups/euros etc.) and they have pretty much all performed consistently well at premiership level at some stage of their career. In fact, I doubt there has ever been a side close to that level of experience in the play offs.

I think that's key in games that will be tight and probably won't be full of quality.

I also like Kodija as our wildcard, if we do it....I can see him playing a big part at some point and might just give us that 'Hernandez moment' Hull had a few years ago in the final which ultimately sent them up. 

Agree with most of that except the kodjia part. I don't think he will add that much just yet as he looks way off the pace to me which is understandable considering how long he has been out for.

As with all Villa fans who have been following this great team for many years I've seen the Good, the Bad and the downright Ugly. 

I'm both nervous and excited for this but I'm saving the real emotion for the Final which I fully expect to in. Over two legs we have more than enough for Middlesbrough with a little left over! 

Bring it on!! 

• Like 2

On 07/05/2018 at 07:44, hogso said:

Bent's miss from practically under the cross bar still gives me nightmares. 

If only we had played Arries Mrs instead. 

• Haha 1

On 08/05/2018 at 20:43, Sid4ever said:

So that’s the away goals rule sorted then, the next question must be is Januzaj eligible to play given that we have Johnstone on loan as well and he will most probably be a definite starter? 

50/50

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Now I'm absolutely shitting myself :D

OMG me too stomach churning already. Mrs T cant understand all the hype. Its only a game of football.  I was trying to explain, that this game is not like an FA Cup final (If you lose it doesn't matter that much as long as you had a nice day out)

If we lose this, then its another year playing teams we had never heard of 

You just have to let Steve Bruce earn his money in this playoffs. You can say what you want about him but he knows how to win play offs.

Hes had 18 months with this team now so no excuses.