1st leg pre match

Demitri_C

If we lose by more than one goal I think its going to be mighty tough to over turn that. The worst case should be we lose by a goal like 2-1. I can't see us winning there but I think if we can escape with a draw we might be able to do it at villa park.

Boro are a good side so if hope there woukd not be any complancy like thwre may have been with derby.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Also isnt there a danger of boro fans buying home end tickets with this going in general sale tomorrow?

Its 5pm wednesday for general sale.  TBH im not sure how many will be left then.

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Its 5pm wednesday for general sale.  TBH im not sure how many will be left then.

I qualify from 5pm praying there is still tickets left for me and the missus.

Hope you are right dont want to being seeing boro fans taking villa fans chances of getting a ticket.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

All i know is we need to be giving traore dogs abuse at villa park.

Yeah let's fire him up even more.

Never been an advocate of that. Ever since we gave Ian Wright stick at VP, before he smashed in a hat trick and held his arms aloft to the Holte End.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Yeah let's fire him up even more.

Never been an advocate of that. Ever since we gave Ian Wright stick at VP, before he smashed in a hat trick and held his arms aloft to the Holte End.

Yeah that's really fired up our players when its happened at other grounds 

We know it'll be Chester & Terry at the back, so with that in mind let's look at how we've done this season with the options in front of them.

With Whelan as #6.  Played 18, Won 10, Drew 4, Lost 4. 34pts from 18 games. 1.89PPG.  52.63% win ratio
With Bjarnason as #6.  Played 7, Won 4, Drew 0, Lost 3. 12pts from 7 games.  1.71 PPG. 57.14% win ratio
With Jedinak as #6.  Played 7, Won 2, Drew 3, Lost 2.  9pts from 7 games. 1.29 PPG. 28.57% win ratio

Obviously the above stats are not as clear cut as they seem.  Jedinak for example was trusted in much tougher games than Bjarnason was, which would affect his stats accordingly.  Whelan does seem not only the best results-wise, but also the most trusted (more apps).  I'd therefore be very surprised based on Bruce's selections to date if Whelan was not chosen as the defensive mid for the first leg.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

With Whelan as #6.  Played 18, Won 10, Drew 3, Lost 4. 34pts from 18 games. 1.89PPG.  52.63% win ratio
With Bjarnason as #6.  Played 7, Won 4, Drew 0, Lost 3. 12pts from 7 games.  1.71 PPG. 40% win ratio
With Jedinak as #6.  Played 7, Won 2, Drew 3, Lost 2.  9pts from 7 games. 1.29 PPG. 28.57% win ratio

Obviously the above stats are not as clear cut as they seem. 

Particularly if they're just wrong... :detect:;) 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BOF said:

We know it'll be Chester & Terry at the back, so with that in mind let's look at how we've done this season with the options in front of them.

With Whelan as #6.  Played 18, Won 10, Drew 3, Lost 4. 34pts from 18 games. 1.89PPG.  52.63% win ratio
With Bjarnason as #6.  Played 7, Won 4, Drew 0, Lost 3. 12pts from 7 games.  1.71 PPG. 40% win ratio

Obviously the above stats are not as clear cut as they seem.  Jedinak for example was trusted in much tougher games than Bjarnason was, which would affect his stats accordingly.  Whelan does seem not only the best results-wise, but also the most trusted (more apps).  I'd therefore be very surprised based on Bruce's selections to date if Whelan was not chosen as the defensive mid for the first leg.

I think whelans best games have been when used as a sub. I would be very worried if whelan was our cm.

I'm hoping it might be jedinak with whelan coming on later on. Obviously bjarnaldo wpuld be my tip but he seems to be injured.