New Manager Speculation

maqroll

29 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I see the attraction in smith but I’m wary of any suggestion that he would have to take JT as part of a management team ,  would it work or would he be better off choosing his own staff ? 

That said the media seem to have a new favourite each day and we don’t know what is really going on behind the scenes ,  maybe it will be someone not currently on the radar .

I hope so.

In all honesty I'm hoping for a Ranieri/Benitez/Sanchez Flores esq type of manager.

I hope we don't end up with someone like Bob Bradley.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What was JG’s experience when the club decided to give him the job? We were a top 5 team and the club massively backed him financially. 

Yet you all seem to love him. 

Yep it’s fair to point to him as a point of reference.

But I also think it’s fair to say that what Gregory had that Smith doesn’t, is that Gregory knew the vast majority of that squad and they knew him. He had been an important, yet understated part of the team in securing survival in 94-95 and the great season we had in 95-96. It’s probably not a coincidence that we weren’t quite the same after he left in 96. I think that’s often overlooked when considering his tenure as manager.

Smith could be that for us, he really could. I’d love him to be.

11 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

He has the final decision on picking the team but it is discussed with who two other assistants and head of analytics.

Tactics - Rasmus Ankersen & Phil Giles know how they want Brentford to play, they have put necessary staff in place to help assist Dean Smith on the training field.

Adapted tactics.. Well a lot of Brentford Fans have been critical of his decision making whilst the game is being played

Mentored players  - I think he helps keeps the Morale up.

This is a thin defence.

Managers discuss with their assistant(s) what's a good plan for a game - then the manager has final decision - at every club.

Tactics - are now nothing to do with the manager - even though the manager has final say on the team? Tactics are not relevant to who plays?

Adapted tactics? see previous example by @Johnnyp

Mentoring is 'keeping the morale up'? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, peterms said:

You might alternatively say they don't know their limits, and have got above themselves, and good luck to them.

Knowing your place is such a Victorian value.

That's what their whole philosophy is based upon, good old Victorian Values.  Even the mascot is dressed as a chimney sweep. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Villa is like something designed by William Randolph Hurst but without the money. In the sense that it will never be completed and it is never actually thought out.

Perhaps more like something designed by Escher?

220px-Escher's_Relativity.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

This is a thin defence.

Managers discuss with their assistant(s) what's a good plan for a game - then the manager has final decision - at every club.

Tactics - are now nothing to do with the manager - even though the manager has final say on the team? Tactics are not relevant to who plays?

You asked me several questions.

I gave you answers I did not realise that it was a defence..

Anywhoo you have your opinion I have mine.. thats it

My opinion is that he will not get us promoted this season even with his backroom staff.

8 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Agreed, they've only won 4 trophies in the last 20 years, including the league a couple of seasons back. why would anyone want to go there when they can come to a Championship club who've won **** all in 22 years, and nothing particularly impressive in 36...

They've the support of a Sunday league team. I've seen more atmosphere at Sunday mass.

19 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Dean Smith may be well supported and advised at Brentford and perhaps without that he will be confronted with an environment and circumstance that he cannot manage here at Villa.

Personally I think it just as likely that he brings his strengths and qualities that he has developed throughout his time with Brentford and instills them into a Villa side. 

Yes.  I don't get this repeated refrain that because Brentford have a very specific setup to deal with various things that have traditionally been lumped into the role of "manager", he can only cope in such a system.

It seems patronising, as well as unlikely.  It's as though people think he's never seen another model of organisation, and will fail to adapt.  If we adopted that mindset in other fields, there would be very little job mobility.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Are there no good South American Managers we could go after?

Jardim :D 

Marcello Gallardo?

Might take something special to lure a top manager from South America to Birmingham. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jareth said:

This is a thin defence.

I posted an article earlier in the thread that looks at Brentfords setup. This is what is said of Smith:

"You want to win the game on Saturday, but you can't have someone who makes all the important decisions, and spends the money, with a time horizon of one week. That doesn't make sense," he explains. "You have a manager that's basically in charge of both short-term and long-term football strategy—in some clubs, even responsible for all transfers, finances."

Ankersen likens Brentford's model to a clock: the head coach responsible for the second hand (day-to-day strategy); the directors of football—Ankersen and Phil Giles, who has a Ph.D. in statistics—responsible for the minute hand (medium-term strategy, focused on transfers and succession planning); and the board, including Benham, responsible for the hour hand (long-term strategy and objectives).

"Most clubs who have a managerial structure end up living in the second," Ankersen says.

At Brentford, Smith "doesn't have all these other responsibilities like doing deals, setting out the long-term football strategy—things like that. In that respect, he's got more focused responsibility here than he probably has in other clubs."

Smith was recruited because he was viewed as a head coach who could adapt to Brentford's methods.

"The philosophy of the club remains in place, and then we recruit a coach we think fits into that," Ankersen says. "When we interviewed Dean, we went through all this stuff again and again. We don't think that we have the perfect formula—we are open to his ideas—but generally speaking, he has to execute the club's strategy, and he has to add his way of doing that to it. He's an open-minded guy. That's why he's the head coach."

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2718752-brentfords-moneyball-way-to-beat-football-teams-with-huge-budgets.amp.html

Edited by Godders

1 minute ago, sne said:

Jardim :D 

Marcello Gallardo?

Might take something special to lure a top manager from South America to Birmingham. 

I meant ones currently plying their trade over there to be honest. Usually only a brown paper bag away from luring away.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

18 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

My thoughts are it won't be Dean smith, to risky, we need promotion. I''m sure Mendes is involved, so it will be someone from the continent with a view to promote us this season, bringing in players January to make sure its done.

As if the likes of Henry or Faria wouldn’t have been massive risks. Every managerial appointment is a risk. Of the names that have been prominently linked to the role Dean Smith is probably the least risky after Brendan Rodgers.