New Manager Speculation

maqroll

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

I just don't see whats in it for Terry coming here as no-2 ? - To me he seems more manager material than Henry, so wouldn't he think " if Henry can get a top job so can I."

Or he may take the sensible approach (like Henry) of cutting his teeth in an assistant role at club he knows rather than jumping in the deep end. 

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

He was on BT Sport yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised he didn't jump on the media bandwagon saying sacking Bruce was a mistake and having a dig at us.  He said he wanted us go move away from the old school manager and the fans need something to get excited about.  Possibly the most sense I've ever heard come out of his mouth.

Sherwood has never had anything but good things to say about us in all honesty.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Or he may take the sensible approach (like Henry) of cutting his teeth in an assistant role at club he knows rather than jumping in the deep end. 

It'd be interesting if it came down to a choice of Henry or Terry, not both.  Not sure who I would choose.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I want to see who our new defensive coach is. Boy will he have a job on his hands! 

All he won’t be overworked personnel wise. 

Edited by dukes

28 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I reckon he wanted the job in the summer but the owners gave Bruce a chance instead. He is been waiting for the opportunity again hence turned down the Bordeaux role. 

I have suspicion you are right......the owners did the honourable thing as opposed to the right thing, but to be fair the summer events scuppered many correct decisions.

to coin Terry's line.....we must seize the moment and so should Thierry.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It'd be interesting if it came down to a choice of Henry or Terry, not both.  Not sure who I would choose.

IT would have to be Henry for me in that scenario, he at least has badges and Coaching experience at a high level.

Terry has zero aside from his natural footballing and mental qualities.

1 minute ago, New_Hope said:

Thought Terry has only announced retirement as a player....not from football. So why would it be an ultimatum?

I think the idea was that he wouldn't be considered ready for management/coaching if he still had one eye on playing.

12 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Remember how some itk said the new manager was someone that hadn't been mentioned in the media speculation?  Turns out the Henry and Terry team will be Karl Henry and Terry Connor.  The Villa tradition of great appointments of the past decade lives on!

Given our manager recruitment track record it wouldnt surprise me if they went out and got Lenny bloody Henry.

"I hear he is a local lad, I think he used to play for Albion?"
"No idea but look at the fans reaction! They love the idea of Henry!"
"Aye lets get him, this time for sure we know we have got it right!"

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Houllier took a team that finished 6th and destroyed anything good about them while attempting to change things. Henry is in a much better situation. Fans have no excuse to not be patient with it.

As I said, changing things takes time. He wasn't given that time and fans started wanting him out way before they should have, imo. 

20 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Just got in an on catch up here. Can I just reiterate it's Thierry Henry not Terry Henry ?

That's the new song!.. Tough Crowd ?

Edited by Kingman

I have said it before but I see absolutely no appeal in hiring Henry except he was a great player.  What does he know about organising defences or signing defenders

We are in no position to be a training course for a high profile wannabee manager

• Like 1

I have to admit, I’m getting all giddy about the idea of Henry as manager. He comes across as intelligent, passionate, determined and extremely knowledgable about the game. He also has that little hint of arrogance, self belief and natural charisma that a top manager needs. He’s the anti-Bruce. 

I know we have little in terms of proof he’ll make a succesful manager, but if I were a young player I’d love to play for someone like him. 

It might be naive of me but, screw it, let’s go for it! 

• Like 2

Just now, PieFacE said:

As I said, changing things takes time. He wasn't given that time and fans started wanting him out way before they should have, imo. 

on a £2m a year contract - Id expect things to improve rapidly - lets remember a lot clubs in this division haven't got a pot to piss in -  In or around the play offs for me.

Plenty of free agent cb's around - and probably gk as well - even with what we have we should be the push overs we are.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I have said it before but I see absolutely no appeal in hiring Henry except he was a great player.  What does he know about organising defences or signing defenders

We are in no position to be a training course for a high profile wannabee manager

Agreed - with the exception of being in no position - we seem on the brink of doing exactly that.

16 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yep. It's going to take time though. I really hope that they do not get the same reception from the crowd that Houllier got when trying to change our style of play. It probably has to get a little worse before it gets better. Personally I view this season as a write off already and it gives us a great chance to try and change our style of play without any huge pressure. If we can sneak the playoffs then great.

The trick is.....he has never managed any other club.....so its unlikely that will happen.

He is not going to get bird for welcoming his last clubs fans, like Houllier.

He has none of that baggage.

He is fresh and unattached to any emotional managerial connection.

He is an astute guy.....he will do this.

lets get the playing good football every week and see where it takes us.....no good thinking about fence no 12.......when you haven't negotiated the 5th.

first things first.....then we can look at the league and see where we are going.