New Manager Speculation

maqroll

It’s all about character, mentality and drive for me. We need a charismatic character the players want to believe in who is unfazed by the size of the job, an attacking mentality that fears no team in this league and looks to dominate every game, and someone who is driven by the game of football on an intellectual level who will have us tactically prepared and the players carefully coached on every little detail. 

I know I’m basically describing Pep Guardiola here, and I’m asking a lot, but this is what we need. If Henry wants the job, I think he might just be that kind of person. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I don’t want Smith but to be fair we’ve had managers that have had years of this type of experience and they’ve been utter plop and crumbled.

Absolutely, this is just a part of what any manager might need to be successful here.

Smith might have other qualities to counter this, but I'm not keen on him tbh.

25 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Managers frequently fail at one club and then succeed at the next. Or succeed at one and fail at the next. Sometimes experience proves to be vital, sometimes it doesn't. Some rookies hit the ground running, some need a few years to get it right, some never get it. It's very hard to call. 

What we do know is that no manager can be said to have been truly successful at Aston Villa for many, many years. That to me says something about the infrastructure of the club. We know that that infrastructure is currently undergoing one of its occasional upheavals. Getting that rebuild right is probably more important than which individual we choose as manager/coach. Get it right, and the manager's job will be easier. 

I think we need to be patient, and stop stressing over the list of candidates. Whoever gets it will initially have a very difficult job (due to the imbalanced squad and  FFP, among other factors), but if NSWE are effective, that manager may yet find themselves well positioned to lead the Villa revolution. Whoever he may be. 

Was just thinking similar earlier.

The appointment of the football director is arguably more important than this next manager as it will shape the direction of our football for years to come; yet this seems to be flying under the radar a bit.

Suppose it's natural as the managers impact will be immediate.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Brian Little? John Gregory?

How was Little a gamble? JG more so but still had managerial experience and besides, these guys were 20 years ago - things have changed massively since then, it was a lot simpler. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

How was Little a gamble? JG more so but still had managerial experience and besides, these guys were 20 years ago - things have changed massively since then, it was a lot simpler. 

How do? Except the fact we were better at football, I suspect that makes being a manager simpler ?

9 minutes ago, lexicon said:

But you dismissed Smith as rolling the dice yet they both struck me as similar to Smith in that they had some managerial experience before taking the Villa job, Smith probably more so considering he’s managed in the modern game so not exactly rolling the dice is he?

Edited by Ingram85

Kristo Terreur is the nr.1 ITK journalist in Belgium and he says Henry is going nowhere. So for me that means that he's as good as out.

Edited by bose

2 minutes ago, bose said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Thierry Henry is with the Belgium squad. Belgium convinced he will be staying with them. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/avfc?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#avfc</a> <a href="https://t.co/1BOyM6H9Av">pic.twitter.com/1BOyM6H9Av</a></p>&mdash; Kristof Terreur ? (@HLNinEngeland) <a href="https://twitter.com/HLNinEngeland/status/1049601316299915264?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 9, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Kristo Terreur is the nr.1 ITK journalist in Belgium and he says Henry is going nowhere. So for me that means that he's as good as out.

Gary Cottrell on sky just now confirmed no contact at all made between villa and Belgium FA

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

Gary Cottrell on sky just now confirmed no contact at all made between villa and Belgium FA

Then preceded to say that Henry knows that the job is his if he wants it, which is why we've not made an official approach yet.

The level of shit that these reporters make up makes me question if you actually need qualifications to work in the media nowadays.

5 minutes ago, bose said:

Nah, he's just rehashing Harry Redknapp like everyone else apparently is. ?

Kristof obviously listens to TalkSport.