New Manager Speculation

maqroll

1 minute ago, Sam3773 said:

Except these reports are coming from the Henry camp. 

I know what you're saying about the owners not wanting stuff to get out and I agree, but let's not sit here with blinkers on. If a few places are reporting that Henry doesn't know if he wants it and might not take it, that's probably come from the Henry camp, not the owners. 

Usual press caveats, but this whole thing is a press report, right? I mean, it was the press who reported Henry and Terry in the first place. To believe that when it's positive and not believe it when it's negative is a bit naive. 

Exactly right. How do we know they are even looking at Henry or Terry?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

But I can't help but feel it will be similar to Lambert. No where near as exciting as Henry but will have my full support.

Same here, I fear the step up will be too big for him.

Granted I know very little of him other than some article about the Brentford set up and what's been written on here.

A season and a half as Sheff W as player in League 1 and 2 and a couple of Championship seasons as manager with Brentford is a high up as he's been in football.

He has little or no experience being around or handling big-ish players, the media circus, the expectations or the giant machinery that comes with a club like this.

and that's despite 30 years of football experience. All he knows and have learned is different from what it would be here. He would have to relearn a lot while facing huge pressure.

• Like 1

For me Rodgers is the most outstanding candidate considering how the fans want Villa to play and where Villa want to be by the end of the season.

However while Henry is an exciting prospect due to what he has achieved as a player I do believe it is a risk too far for Villa at this time.

I’d much prefer Rodgers coming in with his preferred back up team with JT lending a hand as defensive coach.

That setup for me would insure Villa being promoted then securing status in the Premier League the following season.

Edited by striker
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, striker said:

For me Rodgers is the most outstanding candidate considering how the fans want Villa to play and where Villa want to end up by the end of the season.

However while Henry is an exciting prospect due to what he has achieved as a player I do believe it is a risk too far for Villa at this time.

I’d much prefer Rodgers coming in with his preferred back up team with JT lending a hand as defensive coach.

If hes attainable he should be no.1

He may well be this tbh, as i said know one knows anything really....except Arry of course!

9 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

Except these reports are coming from the Henry camp. 

I know what you're saying about the owners not wanting stuff to get out and I agree, but let's not sit here with blinkers on. If a few places are reporting that Henry doesn't know if he wants it and might not take it, that's probably come from the Henry camp, not the owners. 

Usual press caveats, but this whole thing is a press report, right? I mean, it was the press who reported Henry and Terry in the first place. To believe that when it's positive and not believe it when it's negative is a bit naive. 

Best not to believe them at all! We’re none more the wiser today than we were yesterday. Bag Puss saying he got the impression JT was still in the frame gets reported as TH has turned the job down. 

I was going to say you couldn’t make it up, but clearly you can. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

They were all flops, Martinez is an awful manager...

I mean, he just isn't.  His win record at Everton is better than anything we've seen (aside from Bruce, lol) since John Gregory.  That isn't "awful".

5 minutes ago, striker said:

For me Rodgers is the most outstanding candidate considering how the fans want Villa to play and where Villa want to be by the end of the season.

That setup for me would insure Villa being promoted then securing status in the Premier League the following season.

I think the main thing, for me, is to have a manager with the character that is needed to manage Villa.  Rightly or wrongly, our fans perceive us as a Premier League club that simply shouldn't be in this league and should be wiping the floor with the teams in it.

That's a lot of pressure to carry and, possibly, is a major reason behind Bruce's shortcomings.  In the end, we just overloaded the team with attacking players presumably in some odd bid to overpower teams and give "what the fans want".  I think that both Rodgers and Henry (and Terry, perhaps) have that arrogant streak in them - that confidence which can rub off on a fanbase and is probably the biggest thing we need right now.  Obviously unknown with Henry, but he exuded that in his playing career and does as a pundit IMO - Rodgers has it in abundance.

The more I've thought about our next appointment, the more I think this is vital.  Therefore, despite their impressive track records to date, I wouldn't want to bring the likes of Dean Smith or Paul Cook in just yet.  That job is almost one down the line.

10 minutes ago, sne said:

Granted I know very little of him other than some article about the Brentford set up and what's been written on here.

A season and a half as Sheff W as player in League 1 and 2 and a couple of Championship seasons as manager with Brentford is a high up as he's been in football.

He has little or no experience being around or handling big-ish players, the media circus, the expectations or the giant machinery that comes with a club like this.

and that's despite 30 years of football experience. All he knows and have learned is different from what it would be here. He would have to relearn a lot while facing huge pressure.

Yeah that's why I'm not too up on Smith. We're good at destroying managers and this sort of pressure could easily be too much for him. A lot of due diligence required. 

RE: Henry or Terry. Much of a muchness really. Henry has a touch more experience, Terry knows the club and the players. Would probably favour the latter. 

Re: Martinez. Absolutely not. Have never rated or wanted him at the club. Totally overrated as a manager IMO. 

Re: Sherwood. All he needed was a summer to turn us from a stagnating club to relegation favourites. Did a massive amount of damage and didn't have a bloody clue about what he was doing. Look at his time after us. Definitely our worst manager in my lifetime, even worse than Mcleish. Despise him on every conceivable level. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sne said:

I don’t want Smith but to be fair we’ve had managers that have had years of this type of experience and they’ve been utter plop and crumbled.

• Like 1

Just now, Ingram85 said:

I don’t want Smith but to be fair we’ve had managers that have had years of this type of experience and they’ve been utter plop and crumbled.

And the times we rolled the dice, the outcome was even worse. 

Perhaps Harry wants the job himself? :D 

I had thought initially that Henry might choose to stay with Belgium and wait for a job in the PL. It would be a pity if he considered the job to be too high risk for him and if he did not back himself enough to be a success in it. No doubt we will find out soon enough one way or the other.

If Henry does decide the job would be too big for him then we can swiftly move on to JT and to others who wouldn't. Paddypower still have Henry at 2/5 by the way.

1 minute ago, John said:

Perhaps Harry wants the job himself? :D 

I had thought initially that Henry might choose to stay with Belgium and wait for a job in the PL. It would be a pity if he considered the job to be too high risk for him and if he did not back himself enough to be a success in it. No doubt we will find out soon enough one way or the other.

If Henry does decide the job would be too big for him then we can swiftly move on to JT and to others who wouldn't. Paddypower still have Henry at 2/5 by the way.

Our defensive stock is enough to put off anyone with a brain. Thanks again Bruce

I'm on board with the idea of Smith with Terry as assistant, Terry is super professional and would make sure the players respect Smith and that would allow him to coach them into something vaguely cohesive. There's a big difference between getting lower league players to buy into an ethos than £15m players who think they're ready for the PL and I think someone like Terry could help bridge that gap until Smith can command that respect in his own right. 

Don't think it'll happen, but I'd be probably more comfortable with that than with Henry or Terry as manager. At least we know Smith is a capable coach at this level and as long as there are plans to supplement any manager with a suitable hoard of backroom staff (which I hope there is) it could work 

26 minutes ago, striker said:

Have you gone off the idea of having Conte now? 

• Haha 2

First of all, Ole 'Arry is nothing more than crap spouting gobshite.  Always has been. I remember when he was sure that Younes Kaboul was joining us when he wanted him at Portsmouth.

As for Henry, it could be that he is just being professional and actually committed to the job he's being paid for right now and maybe measuring the mettle of the new owners/board to see if they will allow him to create his vision on AVFC without too many restraints.

Just seems strange that the only real comments made in the media about the job have been from Smith and Rodgers and No one from either Henry's or Terry's camps have 'leaked' any denials all.  Even Kevan Grealish knew Jack wasn't going to Spurs and made that clear to their so called ITK's.

We'll just have to wait and see what transpires. 

46 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I'm hoping we hire none of the individuals mentioned so far. I don't think any of them show the slightest bit of imagination or strategy.

I'm sure others have/had a much wider knowledge of European football but I'd never heard of Nuno (Wolves) before he arrived here, I'm hoping we go the same route and something entirely left-field.

If you’re right, and I think you may well be, can you imagine the laughs coming from behind the closed doors of the board room at every flailing around in the dark newspaper article? ?