New Manager Speculation

maqroll

31 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Seeing reports that we’re now after Martinez and not Henry...  I’m 100% for this. I’m a huge supporter of his.

Does this mean they bring the entire Belgium team with them?  Sounds good to me.  Although we probably already have enough cover at right back.

55 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Not sure about smith. We need a manager that can handle the size and expectation of villa we really are a giant of a club. Look how many have tried and failed.

I think the expectation is way out of control.

fans wanting a win are so ungrateful and demanding.....we want players to run off the ball and pass to each other and everything.

its disgusting.

its a good job we have understanding owners that fund failure.

shall we all now wake up........and get this exciting deal done and leave the shite behind us.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

I’m at the point where any manager is a gamble to varying extents.

I wouldn’t be wholly against any of Henry, Smith, Flores, Rodgers, even Allardyce. I think a case can be made for each one, and counter argument(s) against each one.

Henry is probably the most exciting option simply as he’s the unknown, but also has the highest profile. Everyone else it feels like we’d have a better idea on what we would be getting. 

I’m not fussed about how much we would reportedly be paying Henry either as with the exception of maybe Flores, we’d either be paying equally similar wages (Rodgers, Allardyce) or compensation (Smith, Rodgers again).

Whoever takes the position is going to have a hell of a job and it’s most likely going to take a bit of time to get things right. Hopefully we haven’t left it too late.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He got Wigan relegated leaking a lot of goals which shit managers like Paul Jewell and Steve Bruce couldnt even achieve. Everton were going downhill under him including losing 4-0 to Liverpool and 3-0 to a woeful Sunderland team just before he got the boot and spent money on some crap

Are you kidding?  He had no budget to spend on players. Even Lerner opened up the piggy bank more than Whelan did at Wigan. It was amazing that he even was able to keep them in the league for as long as he did with all the money other teams were throwing around during the same time. There is a reason he keeps getting higher profile jobs in his career whenever he decides to move. 

It's really interesting to read the different ideas folk have regarding the new manager. No matter who it is I'm sure 50 or 60% will disagree

so I don't envy the owners who have to make the decision. I would hope whoever they pick will get 100% support however I somehow

doubt it!!!

I think Martinez has had a mix bag its fair to say. Overacheiving and underachieving at varying times. His Everton tenure was terrible though and lives longest in my memory.

I know exactly who I want. The player who I absolutely loved that oozed flair,class and arrogance in equal measure. 

No more dour boring villa. I want charisma and people to take notice of us. Fall in love with us Thierry. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

He got Wigan relegated leaking a lot of goals which shit managers like Paul Jewell and Steve Bruce couldnt even achieve. Everton were going downhill under him including losing 4-0 to Liverpool and 3-0 to a woeful Sunderland team just before he got the boot and spent money on some crap

Took Wigan to their first ever major honour - beating Man City in the final.  Completely out-budgeted by every other side in the Premier League, pretty much a miracle they stayed up as long as they did (not just Martinez, obvs).  Led Everton to a record Premier League points tally (and best points tally since they won the top flight in 1987).  Not sure he spent that much on crap either.  His transfer dealings were pretty decent from memory - Lukaku, Barry, McCarthy, Holgate etc.

I think he's decent.

1 minute ago, chrisvilla4 said:

I know exactly who I want. The player who I absolutely loved that oozed flair,class and arrogance in equal measure. 

No more dour boring villa. I want charisma and people to take notice of us. Fall in love with us Thierry. 

Well this is it, we need a manager who is all those things, Aston Villa isnt too big for him and probably will be a stepping stone to managing Barcelona one day, it’s a no brainer for me. 

• Like 2

2 guys with as much experience about football, you could write a book.

so they have not took the plunge yet to put their reputations on the line.....and by god they have reputations to lose.

they are prepared to manage us .....15th in the league and turn us around.....we are blessed.

Aston Villa are a big club......and they are big in stature too.

This could be a perfect match......who is brave enough to pass up on that.

dump the negativity, villa fans......2 guys massive experience in football.... no baggage.

We need to do this.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I am not. His defence is about as useful as the maginot line

Our defence already does a passable impression of The Maginot Line. It is easy to get around and lacks mobility. Where it currently differs from it is that it's short of big guns and does not face many German attacks as it's stuck in the Championship. ;)

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Took Wigan to their first ever major honour - beating Man City in the final.  Completely out-budgeted by every other side in the Premier League, pretty much a miracle they stayed up as long as they did (not just Martinez, obvs).  Led Everton to a record Premier League points tally (and best points tally since they won the top flight in 1987).  Not sure he spent that much on crap either.  His transfer dealings were pretty decent from memory - Lukaku, Barry, McCarthy, Holgate etc.

I think he's decent.

He spent 13.5 million on Oumar Niasse, 9.5 million for Funes Mori. 7 million on Boselli (15 games 0 goals), 6million for Kone at Everton. any transfer fee for Aidan McGeady is also really bad business

2 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

And I've no problem with him starting somewhere. Just not here. Henry getting his first job at management should be of no interest to you. Aston Villa getting this spot on with little to minimal risk is the priority.  Faith is bollocks talk. Sorry.

If he started somwhere else.....you would never get him after that.

he will be a success.....do you think you are going to get him when has made his name somewhere else......now that is what i call bollox.

Would you run a social club and expect to get to Elton John for a week end gig......after snubbing him on his way up.

have some faith.

There were so many iffing and butting about John Terry before he came to us......these guys are on a different planet in terms of professionalism.

we need to wake up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He spent 13.5 million on Oumar Niasse, 9.5 million for Funes Mori. 7 million on Boselli (15 games 0 goals), 6million for Kone at Everton. any transfer fee for Aidan McGeady is also really bad business

Aside from Boselli, I'm not sure any of those have been complete flops (maybe McGeady) - and, in any case, name a manager with a 100% success rate on transfer dealings.

32 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I think Martinez has had a mix bag its fair to say. Overacheiving and underachieving at varying times. His Everton tenure was terrible though and lives longest in my memory.

Now thats what i call a bigger gamble

• Like 1

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

You have zero interest in someone based on their nationality? And you expect me to have to want someone on the same terms? 

Well, it is a bizarre attitude to have but if I MUST play this game then I will say Flores. Who I mentioned in my last post.

But can I ask, why are you prejudiced towards a man based on his nationality?

Thank you! Yes, I am a self confessed bigot against my own people (British/Irish) when it comes to football management. We are just out of date in that area of football. It is no accident top teams in Europe and the world do not hire British/Irish managers. They are just not good enough right now. Ferguson was probably the last top British manager. I hope we (UK/IRE) invest and come into the modern world of football management, when we do I will be delighted to have one but we have a long way to go. Anyway thanks for the answer!

p.s.

Thinking about it, In a PINCH I think Rodgers might be able to make the step up as he himself has said he is heavily influenced by Spanish football. So he could get us playing some decent stuff, maybe.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1