New Manager Speculation

maqroll

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

Didn't we get to the semi final of the world cup with an English manager.

like you, i am English/ Irish.....so hardly a philistine.

The latins do seem to move the ball and themselves much better than us....hence the attraction.

However, the top teams do seem to favour a fusion, between anglo's/latins.

I think its less to do with nationality and more to do with individual ability.

Honestly mate for all the excitement we had during the world cup, lets face it, we played like Pulis 2.0 when attacking, relying on set pieces and ball's into the box. Better than Pulis, sure but not that much better.

It maybe more to do with ability than nationality as you say, but let someone else take the gamble on finding one of our countrymen with that ability, we sure have demonstrated recently that we cant find him! :)

Lastly I agree,  almost all the appeal in me wanting a foreign manager is their teams play easier on the eye. I make no claim they will get better results in the Championship. At this point though I am SO tired of watching Aston Villa play dross. I want to be entertained, I want to enjoy watching us play. That is something entirely within our power to do. Smaller clubs than us play nice football, we can do the same. No neutral ever looks forward to watching us play (our opponents do mind) . 

Right now when people talk about Aston Villa they say "oh right Aston Villa, they used to be up there challenging for the Champions League spots, now they are crap". I cant refute those facts. I just want us to play in a way that they must add "they sure do play nice football though, I like watching them." I will take that and its achievable.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Have to say @TRO I couldn’t express my views any better than the way you have these last few pages.

Agree 100% with everything you’ve said.

Especially “ we’d have to hope we get the good version” in respect of Managers who have been in charge elsewhere.......that’s the crux for me, and how many many times have we got the bad or mediocre version.....too many.

We will never evolve our way out of what we’ve become into what’s needed - it has to be revolution......and for that the idea of Henry and Terry would be the very definition of revolution.

I always detected we were always on the same page Terry.

I acknowledge I defended SB too loyally at times, but hey.....I still like the guy.

Fwiw .......I think the job consumed him in the end.

• Like 4

Wolves are a good example of a team being brave enough to think outside of the box. They deserve their current success.

They were also rich enough to be able to "think outside the box" .... We are even richer, if we can only get some wriggle room in our FFP straight jacket.

I don't see Purslow as a risk taker, but NSWE might not be risk averse .... who will make the final call?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

And this is why this thread, and almost all of our manager threads will never stop going in circles.

"Pep is doing a great job at City, Did a great job at Barcelona" "Yeah but he has the best squads in the world"

"Dean Smith is doing a brilliant job at Brentford" "Yet but he has a team of 3000 technicians" "Couldn't handle the pressure" "Brentford only finished x points behind  us"

Etc...

People skew arguments to suit their opinions.

Would you rate him more if he did a moderate job at a national side with moderately talented individuals?

Or would he only curry favour if he won the World Cup with Trinidad and Tobago?

A tonne of people more eloquent than myself have gone over all the positives as to why he has the potential to be a master stroke of a manager for us.

I've seen top managers fail miserably with talented squads before.

I'm not skewing anything at all. What I've merely pointed out is fact. I'm not getting emotionally invested in this at all. 

He has been assistant to a world class international side littered with talent and his coaching imprint on a side with such ability wouldn't be hugely obvious or it wasn't i should say.

He hasn't managed a team. That's also fact.

If the good people at Villa who are making this decision who are far more qualified to do so more than you and i decide he is the right man after due diligence and for the right reasons then im all for it. But I'm not getting carried away or sucked in by a dream team combo who were fantastic players but never managed. Romantically nourished far too often I'm afraid.

Edited by Johnnyp
Mistake

12 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Honestly mate for all the excitement we had during the world cup, lets face it, we played like Pulis 2.0 when attacking, relying on set pieces and ball's into the box. Better than Pulis, sure but not that much better.

It maybe more to do with ability than nationality as you say, but let someone else take the gamble on finding one of our countrymen with that ability, we sure have demonstrated recently that we cant find him! :)

Lastly I agree,  almost all the appeal in me wanting a foreign manager is their teams play easier on the eye. I make no claim they will get better results in the Championship. At this point though I am SO tired of watching Aston Villa play dross. I want to be entertained, I want to enjoy watching us play. That is something entirely within our power to do. Smaller clubs than us play nice football, we can do the same. No neutral ever looks forward to watching us play (our opponents do mind) . 

Right now when people talk about Aston Villa they say "oh right Aston Villa, they used to be up there challenging for the Champions League spots, now they are crap". I cant refute those facts. I just want us to play in a way that they must add "they sure do play nice football though, I like watching them." I will take that and its achievable.

I agree.

but you can play defensively and make it more entertaining that what we do.

we are just poor in the basics of the game.....we can't even win aerial balls to get us excited.....we just lack initiative in most things we do.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

I always detected we were always on the same page Terry.

I acknowledge I defended SB too loyally at times, but hey.....I still like the guy.

.Fwiw .......I think the job consumed him in the end

To be fair TRO, with the way his waistline was looking recently, I think it's more a case of Bruce consuming the job! 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Wolves are a good example of a team being brave enough to think outside of the box. They deserve their current success.

They were also rich enough to be able to "think outside the box" .... We are even richer, if we can only get some wriggle room in our FFP straight jacket.

I don't see Purslow as a risk taker, but NSWE might not be risk averse .... who will make the final call?

Wolves had nothing to lose.....they had tried all the sterotyped managers, they were achieving nothing of any ilk.

Money, and a defiance of the status quo......changed them.

We need to emulate that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Wolves had nothing to lose.....they had tried all the sterotyped managers, they were achieving nothing of any ilk.

Money, and a defiance of the status quo......changed them.

We need to emulate that.

Wolves appointed a manager who had managed Porto and Valencia.  We are talking about appointing a guy who gives out the bibs and puts out the cones before Belgium training. Night and day.

Edited by Johnnyp
Mistake
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I see Andy Gray is the latest to say that "Henry/Terry is an exciting prospect and would lift the club immensely".

I wonder if Purslow is using the media as a daily sounding board, or will he be ignoring media comment?

Andy Gray, Chris Sutton and Jamie Redknapp approved already. 3 muppets

Wonder what next clueless rocket polisher pundits be out to praise this double act

55 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

And this is why this thread, and almost all of our manager threads will never stop going in circles.

"Pep is doing a great job at City, Did a great job at Barcelona" "Yeah but he has the best squads in the world"

"Dean Smith is doing a brilliant job at Brentford" "Yet but he has a team of 3000 technicians" "Couldn't handle the pressure" "Brentford only finished x points behind  us"

Etc...

People skew arguments to suit their opinions.

Would you rate him more if he did a moderate job at a national side with moderately talented individuals?

Or would he only curry favour if he won the World Cup with Trinidad and Tobago?

A tonne of people more eloquent than myself have gone over all the positives as to why he has the potential to be a master stroke of a manager for us.

I've seen top managers fail miserably with talented squads before. 

This sums up my thoughts perfectly (including Trinidad and Tobago being curry flavour)

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Celtic saying they want 2.5 m in compensation for Rodgers. No way are we paying that so that ones out the window if remotely true

Interesting, would that compo count towards the financial "fair" play scam or not I wonder?

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Celtic saying they want 2.5 m in compensation for Rodgers. No way are we paying that so that ones out the window if remotely true

If true I guess it depends how badly we want to bring him in as manager. We might decide that £2.5m is worth it.