New Manager Speculation

maqroll

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

If we don’t appoint Henry and go for a safe, experienced manager who is ok but nothing exciting, then someone else appoints him and he goes on to build a fantastic team, I think the disappointment would last for years and NSWE wouldn’t exactly endear themselves to us fans. If however they do appoint him and it didn’t work out, I believe a lot of us would take the view that at least they had tried something different. From their point of view it could be viewed at this moment in time, not just a risk worth taking, but a risk they have to take. Or at least appoint someone who can inject a similar level of excitement. 

Sounds like every regime over the past decade plus.

I can picture Edens and Sawiris being adamant they want Henry, Terry and Purslow trying to persuade them to have a look at experience. He did sack Benitez for Hodgson after all.

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

2 guys with as much experience about football, you could write a book.

so they have not took the plunge yet to put their reputations on the line.....and by god they have reputations to lose.

they are prepared to manage us .....15th in the league and turn us around.....we are blessed.

Aston Villa are a big club......and they are big in stature too.

This could be a perfect match......who is brave enough to pass up on that.

dump the negativity, villa fans......2 guys massive experience in football.... no baggage.

We need to do this.

I agree with everything your saying, but the one thing that thinks there's a better choice is, can Henry communicate his ideas to the players and get them playing how he wants? It may seem like a small thing but in the context of where this club needs to be heading, it isn't IMO. Not a lot of great players make good managers, hence why I think Rodgers is the better option if he is interested.

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Aside from Boselli, I'm not sure any of those have been complete flops (maybe McGeady) - and, in any case, name a manager with a 100% success rate on transfer dealings.

They were all flops, Martinez is an awful manager...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

If we don’t appoint Henry and go for a safe, experienced manager who is ok but nothing exciting, then someone else appoints him and he goes on to build a fantastic team, I think the disappointment would last for years and NSWE wouldn’t exactly endear themselves to us fans. 

It's not possible to be sure at the moment, but I'd like to think the signs are they are trying to build something, and are not trapped in old style, UK ways of doing things.

The reason I cling to this small hope is their clearout of the entire coaching staff, which I take to indicate a fundamental rethink of how we work.

Not happy to be proved wrong.

Edited by peterms
sp
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Thank you! Yes, I am a self confessed bigot against my own people (British/Irish) when it comes to football management. We are just out of date in that area of football. It is no accident top teams in Europe and the world do not hire British/Irish managers. They are just not good enough. Anyway thanks for the answer!

Despite being strongly patriotic I have to agree. The problem why there are so few good British managers at this time stems from the fact that over the years we just haven’t trained up enough coaches. I’m not sure what the figures are now, but around 8 or 10 years ago most of the European football powerhouses, Germany, France, Spain, Italy had somewhere in the region of 25 to 30,000 fully qualified coaches. We had about 2,500. I hope the figures look better now, but the legacy of this is still with us and it will take us years to catch up. 

• Like 1

So we don't do this exciting opportunity and go for the status quo, once again.

a manager that has success and failure elsewhere, but at least he has had it, so that makes it acceptable.....at least he knows the business......what a timid and uninspiring statement.....what an absolute betrayal of the pursuit of success

We need brave leaders, willing to get it wrong for the possiblity of glory.

on that note, we sit there toss a coin and hope for the success version of their managership......as we have done year in year out.

what a vision we have for our football club......we need brave and inspiring leaders to move this club forward.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Alot of pundits and former players seem to be more excited at the prospect of Thierry/Terry than a few of our fans.

I've been sold into it and will be very disappointed if it doesn't happen now.

they both have a lot of media buddies

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Alot of pundits and former players seem to be more excited at the prospect of Thierry/Terry than a few of our fans.

I've been sold into it and will be very disappointed if it doesn't happen now.

A lot of pundits and former players also said Steve Bruce was a great manager so.......

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't get how anyone can't get excited about it.

The potential in that combo for us is huge. 

That's it you've blown it now. It's obvious all the people writing against Henry/Terry want them really but we never get what we want!!

Now you've given it away and we'll get Moyes now!

5 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

A lot of pundits and former players also said Steve Bruce was a great manager so.......

Perhaps we should include this in the "speculation source blacklist" thread, so we nevef hear feom them again?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45792321

Thierry Henry and John Terry would be the "perfect pair" to take charge at Aston Villa, former England striker Ian Wright has told BBC Radio 5 live.

Henry, 41, an assistant coach with Belgium, is favourite to replace Steve Bruce at Villa Park.

Terry, 37, captained Villa last term and announced his retirementon Sunday.

"Henry was an unbelievable offensive player and Terry was unbelievable defensively," Wright said. "If they get it right it seems very exciting."

Arsenal record goalscorer Henry was appointed assistant to Roberto Martinez in August 2016 and Terry, who made more than 700 appearances for Chelsea, has been tipped to join him in a managerial role.

Villa, who were relegated from the Premier League in 2016 and lost to Fulham in last season's play-off final, are 15th in the Championship, four points from the play-off places.

Speaking on BBC Radio 5 live's Monday Night Club, Wright added: "It seems like the perfect pair, plus they'd be helping each other through it.

"When you look at what they have achieved as offensive and defensive players... if you are going to say you need to choose two legendary people, you are probably going to choose those two."

Former Blackburn striker Chris Sutton, who played for Villa in 2006-07 before injury ended his professional career, believes Terry has the attributes to succeed.

"I think he will do well in management and I think it will be really exciting for the Championship," he said, pointing to the high-profile appointments elsewhere in the division of Frank Lampard at Derby and former Argentina coach Marcelo Bielsa at Leeds.

"You've got Frank Lampard there now and Bielsa. Henry and Terry at Villa would be box office.

"If I was a Villa player at this moment and Henry and Terry were coming in as a management pair, I would be extremely excited.

"We don't know how they will do but they will inspire a dressing room. I look at Steven Gerrard at Rangers. Was I convinced that was the right job for him? No, but what he has done in terms of getting a feel good factor, he has revitalised the feeling and Villa will be hoping for the same sort of impact."

Meanwhile Lampard also backed his former Chelsea team-mate Terry.

"He always seemed like he was going to be a coach or a manager, he's a leader, he studies the game and I think and hope he'll do well," said Lampard, whose Derby side are eighth and are set to host Villa on 10 November.

• Like 2

I've just come back to my desktop to see the 'Martinez' argument raging!

The Daily Record are now saying that we want Eddie Howe ..... Are we going to argue about him for the rest of the evening?

It's obvious that the media are having a real laugh at us by chucking in their regular pieces of totally unsubstantiated click bait! 

We're being wound up by a tawdry conscienceless media who know less, and care less than we do, and yet we rise like fish to the bait every time!

There still isn't one quotable positive word about our search for a manager, so how about a little patience with each other until things become clearer?

Sky Sports need a clip round the ear for trying to influence the betting market yet again. I know they only own 20% of Sky Bet, but it still profits them every time they  throw another totally unsubstantiated name into the ring!!

We need to use our own common sense and wait until we have a few facts.

I'm still hoping for Smith or Wilder for what it's worth, with Rodgers and then the Henry/Terry "dream team" close behind! Based on absolutely nothing, and personal preference of course.?

12 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I agree with everything your saying, but the one thing that thinks there's a better choice is, can Henry communicate his ideas to the players and get them playing how he wants? It may seem like a small thing but in the context of where this club needs to be heading, it isn't IMO. Not a lot of great players make good managers, hence why I think Rodgers is the better option if he is interested.

I can't argue.....i just have reservations with his time elsewhere.....Liverpool was mixed, Swansea was, well ok, but mixed.......Celtic , i have reservations with that too......not exactly challenging football, generally attract players with one eye on a champions league opportunity.......already had a manager from there that had some success with us but bought a load of tripe in the main.

we are 15th in the championship........we need a radical rethink of our playing philosophy, not someone to scrape us up.

personally, i want a new fresh approach, with guys that can do it.....without preconceived predjucies born out of old experiences.

There inexperience is an attraction for me not a negative.

We need to go in a different direction.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I've just come back to my desktop to see the 'Martinez' argument raging!

The Daily Record are now saying that we want Eddie Howe ..... Are we going to argue about him for the rest of the evening?

It's obvious that the media are having a real laugh at us by chucking in their regular pieces of totally unsubstantiated click bait! 

We're being wound up by a tawdry conscienceless media who know less, and care less than we do, and yet we rise like fish to the bait every time!

There still isn't one quotable positive word about our search for a manager, so how about a little patience with each other until things become clearer?

Sky Sports need a clip round the ear for trying to influence the betting market yet again. I know they only own 20% of Sky Bet, but it still profits them every time they  throw another totally unsubstantiated name into the ring!!

We need to use our own common sense and wait until we have a few facts.

I'm still hoping for Smith or Wilder for what it's worth, with Rodgers and then the Henry/Terry "dream team" close behind! Based on absolutely nothing, and personal preference of course.?

I think you are right, its all just betting material.

bet you can't guess, who i want?